Time To Grate Some Arko.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DaltonGang, Apr 22, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, I caved in to the wife's wishes. She needs some more shave soap, and she wants rose scented, so I grated three stick a of Arko. I'm going to let it air out for a week, to calm the lemon scent down, then add a good amount of rose oil. I've done this before with half unscented AOS soap and half Arko, and it worked well for her. I've also done it with several different scents for me(Sandalwood,Lavender,Almond, and Avon Spicy). Right now, I'm liking the Sandalwood/Arko.
    After its mixed up, I'll press it into a container she uses for storing her soap.

Does anyone else mix essential oils with Arko?

2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I will now that you mention it...lol.

MR41, Zykris, JohnDB and 2 others like this.
  3. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

I'm going to get some and use some wild berry EO I mixed up

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

Zykris, DaltonGang and Robyflexx like this.
  4. DaltonGang

Sounds tasty.
    Remember to let the grated Arko air out, as long as you can, to dissipate the Arko s natural smell.

5. necrotic

necrotic Active Member

Great idea. I love the performance of Arko. I happen to like the scent but having some variety/custom options is very appealing

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Zykris and Robyflexx like this.
  6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Wish I could use Arko but something about it causes a burning sensation so.....

7. DaltonGang

Which soaps agree with your skin?

8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Williams, Cade, VDH Luxury and most of the vintage soaps work very well for me. I can't use another Turkish soap called Fume either. Both it and Arko lather like crazy and provide a nice shave except for the burning sensation I get. Sucks but what ya gonna do? Use what works for you I reckon.

9. DaltonGang

Hmm, I wonder what ingredients in the Turkish soaps set you skin off? Have you obtained a list of ingredients for these soaps?

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Füme:
    Ingredients: Cetyl Alcohol, Ceteateth-12, Potassium Hydroxide, Sles 70, Glycerine, Aculyn 28, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Silicate, Allntoin, Methylparaben, Euxyl-K100, Perfume, Water

Arko:
    Ingredients: Potassium Tallowate, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Paraffinum Liquidium, Cl 77891, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

I don't see any overlap of ingredients that are not common to 99% of other shave soaps. It's got to be something in the fragrance.

captnronfl and Carbide Mike like this.
  12. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I think it's fragrance as well. To bad, cuz like I said, these soaps lather like crazy and give a good shave.

13. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

Yeah it's strange as the fragrance in arko is so light. I also melt all my vdh glycerin soaps and add my own scents to those as well.

14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Nothing like the smell of fresh ARKO in the morning! ;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

178-bplatoon likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

Well, I pressed in three grated sticks of Arko. I mixed some water in, to make it easier to kneed, and added a good amount of Rose oil. The wife is happy now.

16. DaltonGang

One additional way I've heard of infusing some oils into ARKO is to add hot water. I have not done this, but I will next time I mix some up.
    After the shredded Arko, 2 sticks, is aired out, you bring some water, approximately 1/4 cup, to a boil. You take it off the heat, and pour the water into the shredded mixture of Arko, and your desired essential oils, and stir until mixed smoothly.
    If it's not dissolving all, add more hot water. If needed use less water.
    Pour mixture into your storage container and leave uncovered, until hardened. I would put some cheesecloth or some breathable cloth over the container, to keep stuff out.

178-bplatoon, GarnerPW and Linuxguile like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks for the great ideas. :happy088:

18. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Yeah it only a weak lemon scent and it nothing wrong with Arko and I couldn't understand why wet shavers keeps on complaining it smell like urine from the men's room

And beside I don't need to air out my Arko I just bloody use it is only a weak lemon scent and stop being a baby.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    PumperNickel-BageL and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm sure there are scents you don't like. Does that make you a baby? Just asking .

Jorvaljr and Eeyore like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I dont get a 'urine scent' from the arko. To me, it's more of the cheap lemony 'urinal cake' fragrance. Two completely different scents. ;)

I actually like the scent of Baby Powder. Maybe not as aftershave, but I do find the scent pleasant enough.
    Maybe it brings the 'baby' out in me. :D