Time to kill...Shaving goods in an antique shop

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by HolyRollah, Apr 4, 2017.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I was visiting my father in the hospital this past weekend near Monterey and had some time to myself in the afternoon. I ventured into a nice, eclectic antique shop and began browsing about for old shaving gear. I wasn't planning on purchasing anything—unless some special appeared, but its not a bad way to kill some time.

I came across this trio in one glass case: Aside from the very cool acrylic 1950s Evans table lighter, there was a battered Gillette case containing an old Gillette ball-end razor: the cap, handle and blade holder. A case for 4 Rolls Razor wedge blades (alas, two were missing), and in the rear of the case, a J. A. Henckels Rapide 7-day razor set—possibly missing a few elements. The Rapide is a single-edge razor made by Henckels possibly in response to the growing popularity of safety razors in the early 1900s. The Rapide blades, unlike the Rolls razor blade, were not wedges, but hollow-ground and meant to be honed and stropped as one would a straight razor. Interesting. The prices for all items were above what I thought were reasonable.

[​IMG]

In another case I came across this oldie...a Keen Kutter single-edge safety razor— with case & instructions.
    I didn't see any extra blades but I'm always fascinated by these early 1900 razors
    [​IMG]

Ad for the Keen Kutter, showing the "...only correct and easy way to shave."
    [​IMG]

Lastly I came across this gem of a razor: an old Sheffield straight razor with a typical 7/8" near-wedge grind & toe notch. The scales were flawless faux tortoise with solid hardware and shiny engraving emblem on the side. :love029:
    On the negative side: Some black rusting on the blade face and the makers stamps had been worn away so it was near impossible to read. I know its a Sheffield maker—one well-recognized, probably late 19th century—but a significant portion of a vintage SR's value is in the name. This one was tempting...
    [​IMG]

However the asking price was $175 (!)—which, had the blade and tang been in far better condition (with the actual maker stamp), it might have been worth haggling over (maybe down to $130-120 or less! :D). But in its present state, I opted to pass on it. :ashamed001:

Not a bad way to kill a few hours... :happy088:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Keithmax, Spyder, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very enjoyable afternoon. Hope your father is doing well.

Sent via mobile

Spyder, Jayaruh and HolyRollah like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thank you. Yes, my 89-yr old dad is being moved, after spending a week in the hospital with double-pneumonia, to a short-term care facility until he's capable to be on his own again. He's in good spirits.

twhite, Spyder, RetLEO-07 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice afternoon. Glad your Dad is on the move.

Spyder and HolyRollah like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Those prices are absurd.

Spyder likes this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Praying for your Father Kevin.

Spyder and HolyRollah like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

True, but not unexpected in a large store front located in a high-rent district. Room to haggle if one is so inclined.

Spyder and gorgo2 like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thank you, Brian!

Spyder and mrchick like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Prayers Out!
    Glad he's better Kev.

Spyder likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Continued prayers or your Dad. And I agree, those items aree all way overpriced.

Spyder likes this.
  11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Sorry to hear on your Dad, glad he is doing better. I probably would have gotten the Rolls blades, they aren't horribly overpriced.

Spyder likes this.