Time to learn

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jason koonce, Dec 19, 2018.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

hello everyone my strop is here and I am ready to learn to use it. Hope to get this all down so I can start a straight focus. Any tips would be great. I bought an Illinois 827

Keithmax, Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Light strokes, slow, with the blade always on the leather. Let there be an inch of so slack(drop), or bow, in the strop. Slow slow slow.
    Plenty of videos.

3. jason koonce

I will be looking tomorrow what’s the canvas for before the leather?

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

Do 35 strokes on the Canvas, first, then 35 on the leather, every shave.
    My ritual is to do 35/35, after each shave. I then oil the blade, and put it up, not in an airtight box. In case there is residual water in the scales.
    Then, before I use a blade, i wipe the oil off, and give the blade 10-20 strokes, on the leather.

some do up to 80, on the leather, every time. I find my blades do well enough with only 35/35.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Let me give a little hint

Set the strop along the edge of a counter or table for the first week or two, learn the Mechanics of the "Flip" 1-1000 up 2-1000 back,,,, that slow and steady,, concentrate on perfect smooth strokes keeping the spine of the razor buried in the leather...

almost all beginner mistake come from

#1 The flip being done with too much wrist and not enough fingers
    #2 SPEED :(

This is a "Tips" vid I did back in 2012 it isn't really about "Stropping" per se just some tips to help

This is Alan aka AFdavis11 who might be one of the smoothest stropmeister you ever want to see when I met Alan at the NC meet in 2008 and 2009 we sent all the beginners over to him to watch and learn
    Pay attention to how smooth his Flip is

Strop on !!!

SevenEighth, Keithmax, brit and 5 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

7. DaltonGang

Groovy!:happy088:

8. Bama Samurai

So fun when someone starts open blade shaving. Finding the correct pressure against the skin probably was hardest for me.

9. Bama Samurai

Stropping well is critical. Take your time. I learned from the guys hanging out on this forum.

10. jason koonce

I will be giving it another go today. And will let y’all know how it goes!

11. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Been stropping since September 2018, no long. Took me a week to get the muscle memory for flipping blade.

I've stopped counting. I pull the strop tight and strop with little or no pressure. I can go fast, but prefer to make every stroke count.

I'm experimenting with shaving off a Thuringian instead of pastes, diamond or chromium oxide. Stop follows stone using horse hide only. I strop linen and leather after use.

jason koonce and Edison Carter like this.
  12. jason koonce

I just want to point out you headed me In this direction when you challenged me with that wonderful shavette last year lol!

13. jason koonce

I
    believe I’m getting better at it even the flipping it is definitely something I’m taking my time on

brit, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Don’t worry about doing it fast as you develop the muscle memory and it will get quicker. But Speed is not needed so don’t focus on the speed just on the pressure.

15. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Agreed.

jason koonce likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

been hammered into my brain as an apprentice mechanic and throughout my life. speed comes with repetition and quality not quantity...

jason koonce, Chuck Naill and Spyder like this.
  17. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

As with DE, less pressure is your friend. So is time and repetition.

Bama Samurai and jason koonce like this.
  18. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Using the strop as a bench strop is super useful. It'll help keep from rolling the edge early on anyhow.

jason koonce and BaylorGator like this.
  19. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Just a quick note to say congrats on taking the first steps. This is on my "to learn" list, but so far, I have stuck to DE razors. Well done, and thanks for the inspiration on giving this a try.

Happy shaves

jason koonce likes this.