Timeless .95 for everyday

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SergeantMerica, Sep 14, 2018.

1. SergeantMerica

SergeantMerica New Member

Hello all,

I'm an active duty Marine so I have to (get to) shave every day. I've been wet shaving for about 3 years now on and off. Lately, I've been at it consistently (again) for about a month. I just ordered a timeless .95 and will find out for myself in due time, but, I was wondering if any of you use the .95 on a daily basis? If so is this... how do I say? Unbearable or "too much" for anyone with regard to aggressiveness. I've been using the Merkur 34C the past month and I think it feels great. I figured a .68 compared to the Merkurs .71 would be a step in the wrong direction.

Any input would be awesome.

Thanks

2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I've never used that razor but I am sure you will like it.
    Thanks for your service, and take care of your self.
    Let us know about your razor.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It's all about technique. That razor will be fine for everyday if you have the technique for it. Sounds like you got it covered.

Primotenore likes this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Shave Den, Marine. Great to have you here.I highly appreciatethe service you give to our country.

(retired) CW3 Lightcs1776

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Shadow Shaver likes this.
  5. SergeantMerica

SergeantMerica New Member

Thank you for all of the support everyone! Having to shave every day for the past 10 years I'm surprised and a bit disappointed that I've only been wet shaving for the past three years. I do, however, make sure to explain to all of my younger Marines the advantages of wet shaving and the absurdity of paying so much for cartridge razors.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Whether overly unbearable or aggressive or not you can tame a lot of irritants that come with shaving. First is to use cool water. Room temperature is fine. Second is the quality of water, too hard, too soft, filter it. Faucet filter or use a brita pitcher filter if you don't use running water. After done shaving try to avoid alcohol based aftershave and use vinegar. Vinegar heals skin, takes out the burn, etc. I shave every day with 5 passes and these things level the shave playing field for me. I can shave an aggressive razor go sweat like a pig and not be reminded I shaved earlier with those simple things.

One other thing I would suggest if pressed for time have a milder razor that you can shave quick with and get the minimum results you require. Unless you can wield and aggressive razor and shave fast with it this is where mild with a sharp blade shines. This is where having an vintage Gillette 3 pc tech comes into play or some modern equivalent like the Razorock DE1 or Tek II razor. I like 3 pc techs since they are a tried and true razor and if they were good enough for military issue back in the day no reason they shouldn't be to this day, it is just a matter of learning to wield it to your needs.

7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Welcome Devil Dog! I had the .95mm and it was a tad too aggressive for me. I currently have the .68mm and it feels much better.

8. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

First and foremost, thank you for serving! Me and my family appreciate your service and sacrifice.

I have the .95 titanium and no problem as a daily driver. The only razor that I can’t use as a daily driver (or at least afraid to) is my Blackbird.

I think you’ll be just fine with the .95. If not, simply add just the .68 plate. I believe Matt gives a military discount.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you for your service.

I never thought I could shave daily with any razor. I worked on improving my technique and I'm now a daily shaver. I use my Timeless .95 daily without issue. Shallow angle and lite touch.

@Flyingbald spend some time getting to know your Blackbird, it's a great razor and can be used daily.

I joined up with the 30DC here at TSD and it did wonders for the quality of my shaves. Come join us.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Flyingbald likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @SergeantMerica
    Glad to have you here and we are all thankful for your patriotic service to our country.