Tip For Rusty and Very Thin Case Inserts..........

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Jul 19, 2019.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm working on a case for @Jrdelgado and the bottom insert was in really poor shape. All covered in rust with holes and as thin as paper, maybe thinner in some places. It would just bend by holding it in one end and putting a blade bank on the other end. Not a good candidate to re-line because of it being so flimsy. I came up with an idea that would possibly make it stronger. I removed what rust there was by hand because if I used a rotary tool, I'd probably go right through the metal. After the sanding, I coated both sides, one at a time, with 5 minute epoxy. After it was all cured, this made the insert very strong and I was able to actually hold it on one end and tap it pretty hard against a table edge, it didn't bend at all. I should've taken a couple of pics when working on it, but I wasn't thinking. The following pic is of the bottom of the insert, after I re-lined the top, and you can see the epoxy on it and know what I mean............
    20190718_182824.jpg

This pic showing how it looks after re-lining the insert............
    20190718_023509.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Best thread ever.

PLANofMAN, brit, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

fine work Jim..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

Thanks Gary.

brit likes this.
  5. HDSledge

HDSledge Active Member

Nice work!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

Thank you.

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: Good job Jim. Epoxy works great!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Jim, have you ever thought about using that spraycan substance that turns rust into paint, for a case like this?

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. jimjo1031

Thanks Keith.

10. jimjo1031

That was my first thought, but I don't have any. I used to use it a lot when I was in NY State. There is a bottle version for brushes which is more economical that I should get.

gorgo2 and brit like this.