Tips for 1st time use of a Gillette Slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Pav, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Pav

Pav New Member

Hi

Was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom regarding 1st time use of a Gillette Slim, loading blade etc.

Cheers

awk-m4 and awake2shave like this.
  2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Nothing special in terms of loading blade, etc. Just remember on adjustable razors to always adjust them with the doors open - or at least loose - so as not to damage the adjusting mechanism or doors. Also, start out on a lower setting (2, 3, 4) and work your way up until you're comfortable with the shave you get. Most people will get a perfect shave from a Slim/Fat Boy on 5 or 6 but there are those who have sensitivity issues and/or fine hair (will use a lower setting) and those that have no sensitivity issues and/or hair made of steel (will use a higher setting).

3. Pav

Pav New Member

Thanks for that, I knew I'd seen something about leaving doors open or loose that's why I thought I'd better check. Don't want too damage it before I use it.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I have one of these in the mail so 1+ to anything said :D

5. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Being adjustable allows you to very your setting with each pass. Try a lower setting 2/3 when you start . Then move up to 5/6 for the 2nd , 3rd passes. Nice !:)-)

awake2shave and Slipperyjoe like this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you have a blade you are very familiar with, use that one first to allow for calibrating more known quantities, the blade and your skin, against the new razor and its various settings. After a short time of getting familiar with the razor maybe using 3 to 4 of the same blade and testing the settings, you will have a good feel for the razor. Then you will be able to swap blades and being able identify differences in the shaves more easily than a hit or miss swapping blade after blade and never getting use to the razor because there are so many blades to try.

awake2shave likes this.
  7. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I never knew that about opening the doors before adjusting. I hope I haven't damaged my adjustables. I sometimes adjust them in the middle of a shave. Thanks for the advice.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

What happens is that the tension spring that controls the prongs that cause the adjustment can become worn over time and can break. That is why it is good practice to open the silos before adjusting, to reduce the back pressure on the spring. If your adjustable still moves the blade up and down to increase and decrease gap then it is still functioning correctly.

awk-m4 likes this.
  9. Saliavin

Saliavin Member

When I shave with my Slim I wonder did the previous owner(s) adjust without taking the tension off? Or did he/they just set it once and load it? Fifty years later it is still shaving like a champ.

10. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I love my slim and until recently I always had it set a 6. However, when I first used it I started at three and worked my way up. I now have one shave with it set at 9 and I must say that it was a great shave.

11. Pav

Pav New Member

Had my first shave with my Slim today. Started on 3 first pass, went to 5 for second pass and on third pass went to 6 which was fine and dandy. No problems with nicks or razor burn. Used feather blade. Love my slim and will try higher setting next time.

awk-m4 likes this.
  12. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The Gillette Slim Adjustable is my top Gillette everyday shaver.

awk-m4 likes this.
  13. Grande

Grande Member

I have to decide from a dozen razors (woe is me!) everyday, all are in high favor. After all, they're the ones I kept. The Slim is the one I grab most often. I like the feel much better than the Fat Boy. Set from 4-7 depending on mood. I've yet to find a blade that it didn't like (now, mostly Voskhods 'cause I've got so many of 'em). I forget it's adjustable sometimes. Just use it!

awk-m4 likes this.
  14. gms541

gms541 Member

I have a 40 year old Slim Adjustable that I started to use again last year. On a #4 setting I get a mild shave. On a #5 setting, things start to get a bit touchy, but still comfortable, and my Muhle R89 falls right in between those two settings.

awk-m4 likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Also...when you close the TTO....you need to turn it an extra 1/4 turn to lock things down....when I'm through shaving I usually unlock it to rinse...

awk-m4 and DLP like this.
  16. gms541

gms541 Member

I forgot to do that once....only once!

17. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

I have a pair of Slim Adjustable's that are about 40 years old. One is gold-plated that I got from my father-in-law, and a chrome plated find at an antique store. I've started using the chrome plated one on 2 and moved to 3 this morning. There are a few tips on this thread that I was not aware of and will have to remember and put into practice to keep my razors on good working order. Thanks!

awk-m4 and alpla444 like this.
  18. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yeah what Jody said, and everyone else, start low number and work up, I only use one brand of blade when I get a new razor (new to me. and its Astra SP my favorite) That way I can gauge how the razor performs. some times a certain razor may be better with a different blade like my R-41 Likes a feather slightly better.
    Good luck;)
    I sold my slim only because my fatboy is so good. but I never had any issues with the slim, nice weight, looks and good grip.

19. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

+1. I have considered my FB and Slim set on 5 to be equivalent to my EJ.

awk-m4 likes this.
  20. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I love my Slim. I started out at a low number and then ended up around five or six. I had it set there for a while, then for some reason I didn't use it for a time. When I went back to it I decided to adjust it to wide open. Wide open with a Feather blade gave me one of the best shaves I've ever had and I haven't adjusted it since.