To Alum, or not to Alum

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by rweb82, Jul 8, 2013.

1. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Hey Folks,

I just want to see what you're views are on using an alum block post-shave. A lot of people swear by it, while others don't really notice much of a difference. Some can't stand using one. I just want to get a feel for how many people use one, and how noticeable are the benefits after using an alum block. If you choose not to use one, let me know why. I look forward to reading some good answers!

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I generally don't use one, I just think it leaves my skin a little sticky after I put on aftershave. I'm not convinced of it though and still try alum on occasion. I guess I just don't have a good reason to use it, I don't really see a benefit.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I use it every day. I like the way it leaves me feeling.

My biggest issue is not dropping the block so I dont have to keep using the tiny little pieces that I have been.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  4. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I love Alum, I use it after every shave. I have forgotten to use it once or twice and can tell the difference in my skin.

How are you applying the alum?

5. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Well, I am still new to DE shaving, and have not used an alum block yet. I ordered one a couple days ago, and it just arrived. We'll see how it goes. I'll let you know!

Thank you all for the answers!

6. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I use alum any time I may be working up a sweat after shaving. It inhibits bacterial growth and seals those tiny abrasions that come about when you slide sharp metal across skin. If I don't use alum and begin to work up a sweat then my skin will start to welt and become irritated.

Tdmsu likes this.
  7. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

Careful...that sucker packs a punch, ESPECIALLY the first time you use it. I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about very soon. With that being said, I am brand new to wet shaving, currently practicing the art of DE. I am very cautious of what I use for grooming because I have sensitive skin. However, although leery at first, I gave it ago. After the initial sting, it left me face feeling clean and tight...and I like that. There were no adverse reactions when used in tandem with my after shave balm, neither have I experienced any breakouts on my skin. I'm going to keep using it...the burn makes me feel like a man!! :happy036: (I use the RazoRock Alum stick btw)

Peter Allen likes this.
  8. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

+1 for alum. Love it.

Peter Allen likes this.
  9. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

That's a good point about using alum before working up a sweat. I noticed a similar reaction when I went for a run after shaving. While I didn't welt up- per se, I did get a lot of stinging and some irritation.

10. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I started out non-alum, then used it for a couple of months and now I'm non-alum again.

I notice zero difference, none, zip, nada. So I don't wanna bother with it.

I like my routines more now.

11. Nikhil Naidu

Nikhil Naidu Member

Alum is good esp if you nick or cut yourself. Also useful if you happen to have abrasions as it stops the bleeding quickly. Wash after using the Alum Block. I have used it pretty regularly, though I am new to DE shaving. I prefer it to the common alcohol based aftershaves. A quick alum rubdown, rinse followed by a cream is my typical routine.

12. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nope, not for me.

13. Kawika503

Kawika503 Active Member

ahhhh....the ol' alum, rinse, cream routine :D

14. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Another question...Does anyone use the alum block as an underarm deodorant? I've read that the alum block works well for this; and because the crystal is too big to be absorbed into the skin, it is safer than using regular deodorant- which allows aluminum to be absorbed into the body. Supposedly there is a correlation to Alzheimer's disease being linked to higher levels of aluminum in the body.

immobileman likes this.
  15. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

I won't get into the aluminum-Alzheimer's link, which is tenuous and poorly documented at best, other than to say that aluminum is the third most common element on Earth (after oxygen and silicon) and the MOST abundant metal on Earth. If any of the many, many forms of dementia (which can only be positively diagnosed post mortem) are caused by aluminum absorption then we have bigger things to worry about than occasional alum use.

Quite a few folks use alum as a deodorant, but keep in mind that it does not stop sweating, it just inhibits the growth of bacteria that munch on sweat and cause odor. It's a deodorant, not an antiperspirant.

16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I use it for deodorant exclusively. It easily lasts 24 hours on me. I have not shaved the pits.

17. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with the whole Alzheimer's/aluminum theory. I've never been the type of person to freak out about stuff like that. My current deodorant is not an antiperspirant, so I don't think I would have any issues with the alum block as my daily driver. If I chose to go that route, it would be because of long-term cost savings. It seems like an alum block will last a very long time; whereas I'm spending around $5 every couple of months on a new stick of deodorant.

18. Peter Allen

Peter Allen Member

Hi,
    Love my alum block, I usually give the block a good rinse under cold water, apply, leave a few minutes and then rinse off my face, great feeling....
    ... Followed by a nice balm.

19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'll use it for deodorant especially during hunting season but that stuff dries out my face too bad.

20. Nikhil Naidu

Nikhil Naidu Member

Alum is regularly used in India to remove dirt from water. An alum block is tied to a string and this is then stirred in the water. The mud coagulates and settles at the bottom. The water after some. Chlorine or potassium permanganate treatment is fit for drinking.