To buy a Mühle R41 (or not)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Eeyore, May 21, 2016.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

One side note, I find the r41 eats blades quicker than ohe razors. I often use a blade in a different razor everyday. But this doesnt work as well when it comes to the r41.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  2. jb27

jb27 New Member

A question for users of the R41. I've been doing a lot of reading on this razor and it seems the general consensus is that a shallow angle works best. I've read where it is described that the 'shallow angle' is in reference to the blade angle which was further defined as the blade is nearly parallel to your face while the handle is near perpendicular to your face. However, in watching 4 or 5 youtube videos of people using the R41 (without any blood loss) they all shave with the handle nearly parallel to their face, most using short passes. I'm relatively new (about 1.5 months) into wet shaving, just trying to understand it.

ob1page likes this.
  3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Start shallow, then try it steeper. It works both ways, some people prefer one over the other. I think it's a little more tame with a steep angle, but not everyone agrees.

gott654, jb27 and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The decision is to buy another Fatip; this time with a wooden handle. I placed an order today.

The Fatip is giving me great shaves, and I love the look of the wooden handles ... so in the end it was an easy choice.

5. TheStyx

TheStyx Active Member

I have a pre 2013 R41 and is an extremely efficient razor. I cannot use it on a daily basis as it is too aggressive for my skin. But with a few days of growth it is by far the most efficient hair remover.

For extremely efficient everyday shaves I use one of the following: Maggard Razors MR8 Open Comb, Rockwell 6S or Rocnel 316 Stainless Steel.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I get the smoothest results using a shallow angle. This is often referred to as "Riding the cap". The top cap of the razor is in constant contact with your skin creating a shallow blade angle, the razor is perpendicular to your face. Shaving with this razor parallel to your face causes more of a scraping effect. Riding the cap for me results in a much better shave with considerably less irritation. BTW, this method applies to almost every razor out there. You will also find by using this shallower angle your blades will last longer.

Robyflexx, opsimath and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Riding the cap is how I use my Fatip too. Makes for a very smooth and easy shave.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ob1page and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I bought one just to satisfy my curiosity. While it's not one of my daily drivers, I'm glad I did.

Robyflexx, shoe13950 and ob1page like this.
  9. jb27

jb27 New Member

Thanks. This makes sense now.

ob1page likes this.
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

In the meantime, I've done a couple of shaves with the Fatip.

It's the model with the new cap, which was introduced last year. So that means it's effective but mild. You have to do your best to draw blood with the new Fatips.

I knew that I would get a new model Fatip when I bought the wooden handled razor. But the real walnut wooden handle looks beautiful and feels great to the touch. Very different from a metal handle.

ob1page likes this.
  11. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Well-Known Member

The Muhle r41 (both 2011 & 2013) was my favorite DE razor, especially with an Aimsport Spitfire custom topcap, however it's not for everyone.
    If you have a coarse beard, and want a clean shave in only one pass, it's your baby. If you have a light to average beard, like multi pass shaves, or are new to wet shaving, pass it by.
    The iKon Tech is a more aggressive razor than the Muhle r41, and it has greater blade stability, which is the r41's weak point.
    I like aggressive razors, so I tend to favor SE's, which have thicker stiffer blades.
    The Gem MMOC, Ever Ready 1924, Schick Type E Injector, Pal Adjustable Injector (on high), Cobra, and Mongoose, all rate higher in my estimates than DE razors.

ob1page likes this.
  12. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Fantastic razor! Is it aggressive? Yes. Use a good blade, use good technique, and stay on top of it, and take your time, and the shave is absolutely lovely, IMO.
    If you're lazy with technique or like to let your mind wander when you shave, pick something else. MHO.

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Then it's not for me ;)

AGHisBBS, SRNewb and opsimath like this.
  14. Lilan

Lilan Active Member

Exactly like my ATT H2 Atlas, my over confidence as a "veteran" almost beheaded me!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:signs011:

AGHisBBS and SRNewb like this.
  16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I've been getting good shaves with my r41. Just have to find a good blade , mine is the super iridium, and then have solid technique. But finding the blade is the hard part as a bad blade is amplified in this razor.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  17. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Agreed, I've been having rough shaves with the 41 until yesterday when I put a Silver Blue in it and rode the cap. Really close shave and almost zero irritation. Blade choice is more critical in this razor than any other that I own.

AGHisBBS and ob1page like this.
  18. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Throw a Ladas in there buddy You're :signs046:

AGHisBBS likes this.