To Buy or Not to Buy

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Ryan B, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I found a nice straight on ShaveNook for $45. It's a Geneva 5/8 full hollow square point with black celluloid scales. This thing is a real beauty. However, I have also thought about the Sight Unseen Deal at Whipped Dog for $58. For those that don't know, the sight unseen includes a shave ready straight with a Poor Man's Strop kit. I am leaning towards the Whipped Dog, but this razor seems almost too good to pass up.

On the other hand, I would have to buy a strop separately. Opinions and facts are greatly appreciated.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I'd get the Geneva as I'm sure it'll look much better than the beaters Larry sells. You can get the laptop strop from Star Shaving for $13.00 which is what I use. It's a black latigo and with that you don't need to go to the expense of a hanging strop. For another $14.00 you can also pick up the pasted balsa strop to keep it going.

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Is the Geneva shave ready? From someone who knows a good edge?

Ya can't shave with pretty alone.

macaronus and Robert Voss like this.
  4. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

I would go with the Geneva as well if it is shave ready of course. And the website Williams Warrior mentioned seems to look pretty awesome. Wish I would have known about it when I bought my strop which I love don't get me wrong and its super nice but I coulda went for something cheaper. I got mine from here... http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=907&cat=102&page=1

It was $45 but its a two sided strop. Wish I would have got the 3'' strop.....the X pattern that you have to do on a 2'' strop is what will nick up your strop in my personal experience. With a 3'' strop you only have to worry about goin up and down so its easier to pay attention not to nick your strap by rolling your razor the wrong way. So if you can find a cheap 3" strop...get it! Thats just my opinion though. A well seasoned straight shaver can make do with anything but as I'm still learning the art of cutting my throat....the easier I can make it on myself.... the better.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

:happy102:

JRod22 and Latherman87 like this.
  6. Ryan B

Yeah the Geneva is honed and stropped. I bought that strop that Keith recommended. I should have both by next week.

7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Good luck with that..be sure to let us know how it goes...

8. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

My whipped dog sight unseen was very sharp and shave ready. It served its purpose to let me see how the other half shaved. However, if you are one that likes shiney new things you may not be happy with a sight unseen. Once I used the whipped dog a bit I ended up buying a new Dovo Bismark which I am very happy with.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

That Geneva is a beaut and if I had the spare $95.00 I'd have bought that and the second one he had. Congrats on getting a fine strop too.

10. Alpha Lyra

Alpha Lyra Active Member

You can't go wrong ordering from whippeddog.com. I bought a fantastic 24mm silvertip brush from them that easily could have gone for 3 times the amount I paid for it.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Whipped Dog straights as well, I say go that route.

11. Ryan B

The way I see it is I can step in pretty gently and if I find it's not for me, someone will get some good stuff secondhand.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Don't forget Gemstarcustoms " damn fine shavers" offers, they look to be great razors at bargain prices aimed at beginners.

13. Ryan B

I did look at Gemstar but I didn't see anything that particularly caught my eye there. But ever since trying a straight out the other day, I have fallen over the edge. I might have to start selling some of my DE's that I don't use anymore.

14. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

From experience, don't fall in love , that just means you are helpless and unlikely to excercise control and reason and end up in joyless calamity. I think with straights you really have to take a bit of time to familiarize yourself with the different grinds, manufactured brands new and vintage and decide what you can get from a straight shave and what you want from a straight shave experience. Straights cost on average more than DE's so investing in good ones should take a little more reflection .

I bought hones and razors indiscriminately and wound up selling them all and easing my interest. I bought a WB 7/8 restored a couple of months ago and it ticked all the boxes, shave, its grind making a difference in how it worked my beard, great look , history, everything was right with it and it in turn rekindled my interest and appreciation of straight use. I am in the process of having a couple of razors restored and am approaching straight shaving with a little more control , tiny bit more knowledge and I really think more enjoyment

johnus likes this.
  15. Ryan B

Actually, now that you say it; I haven't fallen in love. Just found something that was pretty darn pleasing to me. To me, cheap is iffy but if I'm going to only use a straight once week or when I have time on the weekend; I should just stay cheap.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

It is a lot of fun , and you can determine how much you want to spend on gear , only thing I was saying is be aware of what you are doing. Personally I am trying to stick with 4 straights I want to use, they are not cheap,but I thought I would try to buy the most desireable to me and try to be content , thats the plan anyway.

The Geneva looks nice and its a much respected brand only be aware that if you buy from a BST you are not guranteed a true shave ready blade, as you are if you buy from Glen or presumably Larry , honemeisters. Its hit or miss if a BST sellers really knows how to hone. When you start I think its best to have a blade honed from a honemeister , it tells you how a well honed razor feels.

Secondly, Glen said a 6/8 might be the best to start with, its size is in the middle of the small and large sizes. I experienced that, started with 5/8 came to like only 6/8 and above.

Round points might be best to start with because with square points even experienced shavers stick themselves with the point and that my friend will hurt, as I found out .

Queen of Blades likes this.
  17. Ryan B

The other thing that is holding me back is the fact that I bought a $300 handgun on Saturday. So of course after making a big purchase like that, I'm thinking really carefully about buying a straight of that price. The honemeister bit has also got some new gears turning in my head.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Oh I see, you have hobbys competing against one another, that creates more dilemmas for a budget . I am sure if you are outlaying for a handgun , you know its quality, condition, the rep/history of the brand, , and why it has that " O yeah" appeal for you and whether that " O yeah " is merely you falling for delusional hype at the moment or whether the " O yeah " is genuine and you really desire the thing for a good reason, perhaps its the same with straights.

Remember I fell hard for straights and didn't at first let acquiring knowledge guide ongoing interest . I educated myself before my first buy really well but I let my interest run away like wild horses down a hill and made senseless straight buys for superficial reasons and that kinda corrupted my enjoyment as I continued. Wish that after my first success I had researched more and was more patient with decisions and calculating with an eye to long term involvement /enjoyment.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  19. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Whipped dog is straight forward and honest but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Can you hone your razor properly and will you enjoy using it? I have five straights, several of which are shave ready but could never bring myself to shave with a straight. So they are all just sitting in my shave den.

20. Ryan B

Yep, you can't go wrong with a Colt .45 Mark IV 70 Series. I think after the info you have shared with me, going with a straight up pro at honing is the way to go especially since I'm just starting out.

It's also like buying a first car. My car isn't necessarily a beater, but it's not a Mustang or Mercedes. Start small and build my way up.

Hanzo likes this.