To DE or Not to DE !

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bald as, Apr 27, 2015.

1. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

I have been loaned a Clog Pruf and a Feather Weight for a couple of days more and all I can say is WOW. I'm up to my 3rd shave on the same blade and it is just like new. My DE razors are going to be very lonely very soon. The shave is nothing short of sensational. I got in 2 passes what takes 3 with my DE. The MMCP was wonderful and the TW was so smooth I thought I hadn't put in the blade. How did GEM loose the razor war - it is a rhetorical question I do know the answer :) . It certainly wasn't because of shave quality that is for certain.

The MMCP was smooth with no irritation and not aggressive. A FW would be a most wonderful first safety razor for anyone.

Loan runs out in a couple of days so the options are a DE or full beard and after this mornings amazing shave neither is at all appealing :)

Steve

2. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Good to hear about the Feather Weight. As I felt the hole in my SE family, I, of course purchased another Micromatic (bullet tip this time) and a FW. I also agree that the shaves are fantastic. Of course, I will also add what Bird Lives said to me.... you haven't seen anything until you try an EverReady 1914.... it is amazing. (I agree) Having said that, DE and injector shaves are also great, depending on the blade, and technique. Good luck with the RAD. I know I have it bad.

3. bald as

:) who says I have RAD? :) ?

Herm2502 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You did, right there between "I" and "appealing" :p

Herm2502 likes this.
  5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Welcome to the Sharp Side!

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

One really good thing about SE's is that they are plentiful and reasonable on ebay. My personal favorite SE is the 1924 "shovelhead" using a Gem SS blade. :happy088:

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to SE shaving. I've got about ten myself. I alternate between them, injectors, and DEs. Next month is injector month, then it is on to the SEs. Best shaves to you.

8. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I used an SE for several months and still use one on occasion.

I found a couple of things interesting. First, the SE blades seem to last significantly longer than the DE blades. I have no idea why that should be so, but it does appear that way to me.

Second, I find that the SE is great at removing the most amount of whiskers. An SE, for me, always gives me a better 2 pass shave than a DE. But, the end result with an SE is always somewhat less than with a DE. The SE does not seem to give me the same final smoothness that I get from a DE. To use an analogy, I see the SE as a great tool to cut down the wild bushes growing in the back yard, but the DE comes into it's own when cutting the short grass.

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I find the SE's can take my yard from bushy and unkept to manicured, and handle every phase with equal finese....I still love my Schick, DE's....not so much, although I'll always enjoy revisiting my Black-Tip.....but my best SE's are in a league of their own...My two favorites being my Ever Ready 1924 and 1914...
    The little lather catcher is a card..a real party animal....but the 1924 Shovel-headed beauty is sooo easy to love too...and if my eye sight is a little fuzzy early in the morning, I can load the 1924 blind folded...the 1914 with those tiny nubs requires a sharp eye, because sometimes when that top does its bear trap imitation when closing, the blade edge can jump one of those nubs that holds in in place, and thats a recipe for disaster....lol!

The Micro-matics are also a close second in my shave cave batting line-up....The Clog-pruf really is just about perfect in every way...and talk about effortless irritation free...the 1912's set the bar...I love them all...My Star, and ER are my personal favs....my travel GEM 1912 is a tad too aggressive, and Damaskeene too mild....the Star and ER are "Just Right".

So there you have...thats the starting line up in the whisker wars around my place....Gentleman prep you whiskers and great shaves for all.....

10. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I had to read this the day after I cleaned up my MMCP I bought over 4 months ago. I just hope I do not scalp myself.

11. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I agree. SE for me never gives me a BBS. If I try to go ATG with an SE I end up with a lot of weepers.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  12. bald as

Hi Mark,
    No pressure, almost flat against the face and slow short strokes till you get the feel and sound of the blade. :) Still you probably know that anyway.
    Steve

13. bald as

Interesting you should say that. My experience has been so totally opposite. The DE tears me up ATG while the SE handles ATG wonderfully. I haven't used an MMOC [yet] but I think that may be a challenge for me at least around the neck. One aspect I have noticed with friends of mine is they want to use the SE the same as the DE. The angle, pressure and blade choices etc are not the same.

I gave up on BBS many years ago even before I knew the term mainly because my skin hates it regardless of razor being used. Mind you BBS with an SE for me is ridiculously easy to achieve but again for me not every day. With an SE I have shaved DFS in 2 passes for the past week and my normal rubbish skin is actually improving. Like all things though YMMV, :)

jakie55 likes this.
  14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Virtually every 2 pass SE shave I have had has been much better than virtually any 2 pass DE shave. I just can't get that "really, really nice" out of an SE even doing 3 or 4 passes, mainly because I could never go ATG with an SE.

15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Wow Mark, great description. I've only used a SE for one shave, bit that was my exact impression.

markjnewcomb likes this.