To Rinse or Not To Rinse...Between Passes?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PottyDoctor, Feb 13, 2007.

1. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

It would be interesting to hear from some others here on your routine between passes. Do you wipe your face with a shave towel, completely rinse with clean water or just lather right over the top of what lather is left from the previous pass?

Reason I'm asking is that I've completely rinsed and refilled the sink with clean water between passes for the last year or so. However, for the past couple of weeks, in order to cut down on my shave time a little, I've been lathering right over what's left from the previous pass without rinsing at all. Result: I've been unable to detect any notable difference in the end result of my shave.

Rinse or No Rinse? :confused:

2. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Ill Rinse because it takes off some residue what ever that would mean, it clears the face as if so I can see whats left over to shave or how much stubble was cut off. I also rinse so there is an extra layer of water there then re-lather.
    I do not fill the sink with water used to do it not anymore. Ill simply rinse of the water from the razor when it collects enough lather. you save some water aswell on your water bill.maybe this makes it more clear While im rinsing my face im always feeling if there spots I missed or spots that need more attention I wouldnt have this feedback If I just lather on.

3. ada8356

ada8356 Member

I splash my face with hot water between passes for two reasons:

1) a tactile report on the progress made

2) just to get everything good and wet again

Then I lather back over my newly wetted mug.

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Same here.

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Same here and with some creams and soaps the added water makes the base slicker. Mama Bear's soaps do that for me.

6. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

I rinse off with the water in the sink. I usually dont empty the sink unless the water gets too soapy or cold. I keep the bowl in the sink while shaving, and put the razor in the sink while rinsing and lathering.

7. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I usually rinse and change water between passes. I like to keep the water reasonably clean and warm

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

That's my routine, and my reasoning, as well. :cool:

9. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I go both ways.....
    oops. Not that there's anything WRONG with that.
    Over at TOP I posted this very ?? a while back and felt like I was being stoned.
    I'm not sure if either way is really better.
    If I'm in a rush, I wont rinse in between.
    If I have some extra time, a fresh hot water rinse feels great in between passes.

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Warm water rinse between passes, for above mentioned reasons....and one additional reason - to get all the mowed-down whiskers off the face so they don't get stuck in the lather on brush ;)

11. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

YeahYeah....
    that was the reason that brought me back to
    the rinse in between passes.
    Thanks for the reminder, bigguy. :cool:
    .....old dog still learnin' here

12. Zachster

Zachster Member

I rinse with hot water between passes to (i) get the residue off, (ii) get my face wet again, and, mostly, (iii) because it adds moisture to the next round of lather after the brush has been sitting around drying. If I don't rinse, I find the second and third latherings to be to pasty and dry.

13. ada8356

ada8356 Member

Just for the record, I don't keep water in the sink. I use fresh water from faucet for every pass.

14. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thanks for clearing that up - and here....I imagined you splashing brown, murky, whisker-laden, soapy-water all over you face :D :happy097

15. ada8356

ada8356 Member

Man! Where's the 'puking smilie' when you need it!

16. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Here's a few:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a dry-heave for good measure:

[​IMG]

17. ada8356

ada8356 Member

Ahhh.

I just realized that I needed to expand the smilie window! I was missing half of them.

Here's the one I woulda used: :signs113

18. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I rinse between passes with the straight razor.

For DE just relather over top.

19. Lynchmeister

Lynchmeister New Member

Me too. If I didn't rinse in between, I think the lubricity would severly decline.

20. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

I don't rinse the face, just the razor. At the end of the shave I do the face.