TOBS Avocado

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Badgerstate, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

My wife bought me some of this soap as a bday present and yesterday I got around to trying it out. Great soap. Easy to lather, makes a thick, creamy lather and it has a nice, mild scent. I dont know that I get the scent of avocado out of it but it has a nice, clean, soapy scent. All in all, great soap.

2. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

IMO its the best cream made. Smells like fresh cut grass and a little bit of avocado.

Slickest of all the creams ive used.

Redrock, Bobcat and Terry Williams like this.
  3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Yeah. TOBS Avocado is beautiful. Really comfortable. The one that I ordered must've been sitting around awhile as it seems a bit dried out, but still whips up a great lather.

Redrock and Bobcat like this.
  4. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

My TOBS Peppermint is needing some hydration. A few drops of water and a good stirring will bring it back.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Redrock and Terry Williams like this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above about the Avocado. I have gone through 3 tubs.

Redrock, Terry Williams and theFAT98 like this.
  6. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

My type of guy.

I stated 100 times that i could live with just Mitchells wool fat and tobs avocado.

chevyguy, Redrock, BigMark83 and 2 others like this.
  7. Badgerstate

Mine must have been pretty fresh because it was more of a cream than a hard soap. I easily could have just scooped a bit out with my finger and put it in my brush. I used it to break in my new Omega S-Brush and Omega Barberpole and those 2 brushes really ate up that soap.

8. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

It is a cream...........

PanChango, Redrock and theFAT98 like this.
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

:signs011:. Bob has spoken the truth.

Redrock, Bobcat and theFAT98 like this.
  10. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

The Avocado is my absolute favorite TOBS cream. Wonderful scent and lather. It has been awhile since I shaved with this cream. After seeing post I broke out my tub and gave it a run. Got a close and comfortable shave.:) Good stuff.

Bobcat likes this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's a nice cream, probably my favorite of the TOBS lineup.

12. Badgerstate

It is that. Ive been loading my brush like its a hard soap (30 second load time) and the tub is already almost half gone.

Redrock likes this.
  13. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Does it differ from TOBS Sandalwood apart from the scent? I've been wanting to try a TOBS cream since I started with this around last year so I'd just like to keep any potential differences in mind when I finally do get around to buying some.

Redrock likes this.
  14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I have used a half a dozen or so TOBS creams over the years (including Sandalwood) and the Avocado lathers better than any others. Maybe it is in my mind :ashamed001:. Who knows?

Demidog, Terry Williams and Bobcat like this.
  15. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I agree Ed, I think it is the avocado oil?

16. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Being a fat, the avocado indeed effects the lathering of the cream. It's going to take the high quality TOBS base cream recipe and make it smoother and even easier to lather.

That said, Taylor of Old Bond Street isn't an artisanal soap company. It shouldn't be treated like a puck of shave soap. Cream is much nicer, much smoother, and is meant for gentleman who have to shave every day due to their status in society. It takes very little to go a long, long way. An almond sized dollop should get you at least 3 passes. If you like face lathering like I do, simply dipping the wet tips of the brush into the pot once will be plenty for 3 passes.

There are two ways you can use a cream, one being that you put so much on that it doesn't/can't lather and just spreads across your face like a butter. The other is the less is more strategy and will create fantastic lathers that are superior to any soap (except maybe Tabac). Both are slick and usable, but a well lathered cream will almost always beat the lather of a soap.

17. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Just a dip of the bristles into any of my TOBS creams produces a bowl full of lather for me. I don't notice much difference in any of them.

Demidog likes this.