TOBS Coconut Shaving Cream Review

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Mitch, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Okay. I set aside my Cella to give this soap a go and after 3 weeks of daily use I am ready to review it. If you are looking for a thick, creamy lather that has exceptional skin conditioning at a great price...then buy this soap. Here's the run down:
    Price: 9/10. $13.99 from Bullgoose for 5.3oz. Pretty good price point.
    Quality: 10/10. Exceptional, this stuff just works!
    Scent: 7/10. I read somewhere that the scent is not the reason you use TOBS coconut or avocado but rather it's all about skincare and I would agree. The scent is very light and does not linger which is a plus for me. It is a sweet coconut (reminds me a little of old school suntan lotion). Not exceptional but nice and non-offensive.
    Latherability: 10/10. The lather on this stuff is crazy! Take a wet brush to this stuff and within 10 seconds it is exploding. Out lathers even my Cella. I would recommend this soap to a newbie right off because there is no trick to the lather, it just goes. I don't think there is anything you could do to mess it up. Very thick and creamy. Great protection too.
    Efficacy: 10/10. Great shaves.
    Moisturizing Properties: 10/10. This is why I bought it and not disappointed. In the dead of winter when I am plagued with dry skin this stuff just really leaves my skin feeling nice.
    Packaging: 9/10. A sturdy plastic screw top container. Far more durable than Proraso's containers for example if you like to reuse. But it looks as heavy duty as it is...not as elegant as Cella's little red tubs.
    Recommend? Highly! It's already a classic IMHO.

2. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

Great review. I have wanted to try this for a while but have so many soaps and creams I just can't justify it. Soon though.... very soon.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Super review! The TOBS line is one of my favorite.

bzero007 likes this.
  4. Mark_Toronto

Mark_Toronto New Member

Great cream, lathers nicely, well-packaged, protective...but it smells just like Play Doh! (Others have made the same comment, so it's not just me.)

Pedigree likes this.
  5. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

If it smells like play doh make sure you don't eat it!

ObiDon and Dapper-in-a-can-man like this.
  6. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

That's weird. It's not the finest fragranced product out there for sure but Playdoh? You're on your own there. Definitely doesn't smell that way to me...smells like suntan lotion to me.

7. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Does it really smell like coconut? Avocado does not smell like any avocado I have ever smelled but what lather...explodes off of the brush. Great, thick, slick lather.

Thanks...

8. Mark_Toronto

Mark_Toronto New Member

I'm going to pick up some TOBS Avocado. So many rave reviews.

Who knows, maybe it'll smell like Elmer's glue...

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I can't wait to try avocado after trying this stuff. It does smell like coconut, but as I said the fragrance is very light. It mostly smells like coconut directly in the container, not on the face...very sweet smelling. I would compare it to the way Cella behaves scent wise. But as you said about the lather...oh baby! The lather is unreal and the coconut oil truly takes care of the skin.

10. Tvern13

Tvern13 Member

I bought a sampler of all 14 of the TOBS creams and I used this one a couple of days ago. Same impression light coconut smell in the container. Didn't have a scent once it was on my face. I've only been doing this a short time and have only used TOBS creams and VDH soap so I am not qualified to judge this versus other products but it was easy to build lather for me.

11. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

TOBS Coconut performs well for me but I don't like the artificial scent. I like TOBS Avocado and find it performs better. YMMV.

12. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I'm going for that one next.

13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Nice review!

+1 for the Avocado. Big fan!

14. SnipeLife

SnipeLife New Member

Been looking at this cream the review helps

15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Glad you enjoyed your cream. I am partial to the Grapefruit. TOBS makes a wonderful cream in a variety of fragrances.

16. henry87349

henry87349 Member

I do love the Avocado sent i would have to say it smells like spring time fresh air not like an avocado but i do like it. My question to all is do y'all have any problems with it drying fas and getting flakey. i find that if it sits on my face to long or in the bowl it drys fast and gets flakey. any help

17. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

One thing I have just noticed about this soap though is that it seems to go fast. Not necessarily a bad thing, I don't need my soaps to live longer than me, but my container has seemed to have dwindled much quicker than other soft soaps I have used such as Cella and Proraso.