TOBS Mr. Taylor

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Windwalker, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

I picked up a tub of this last weekend at Winn Perry (Thanks to Eagle for the tip!), but put off writing about it. I wanted to get a few shaves with it, before posting. WOW, are all the TOBS this good? I was debating on some other scents, the avocado for sure. I have had back to back shaves that have been almost zero irritation, I know this because even the Bay Rum does not burn! Even after way too many touchups! This stuff is great! Me likey!
    :signs021

2. bonzo

bonzo New Member

The avocado is a nice choice. Smells like a cucumber to me, but it's not potent. Gives a nice shave, and the added avocado oil (persea gratissima) makes it very moisturizing.

3. djwurm

djwurm New Member

I have tried Tobs Lime/Lemon and got a real bad case of razor burn when I used it. I thought that maybe it was the blade but tried it again a few days later and the razor burn came back.

I have not had razor burn in my wet shaving journey yet until I tried this cream..

It just didnt work for me.

4. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Have had good luck with most TOBS cream except the Avocado. Performance is great and most of the scents are very nice. Really cant go wrong with them.

5. Peders

Peders Member

Have tried the Eton College and Rose and are very pleased with both of them. Very good skincare and great scents! I'm definatly going to test some of the other scents from TOBS in the future!

6. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Hey, you're welcome. Glad you found it. btw how much was the tub? I have used nearly all the TOBS flavors and can say they all shave that well. I like them alot. It really boils down to which scents you enjoy. I currently keep Eton College, Rose and Avocado in rotation. I didn't care for Almond or St. James and have not tried Lime or Lavender. I was basically neutral on Mr. Taylor. Whether I liked them or not they all provided a great lather and shave. TOBS is the best of the three T's especially as it's half or more the price of the other two. Glad you like it.

7. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

The tubs were $14.50, considering how much is needed for a shave, they should last almost forever. Well, at least a really long time. I may actually be able to move up to shaving everyday with these! Which I have never been able to do. :shocked003

8. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

A guy across the street did a test and was able to get 89 shaves out of a tub of TOBS. Quite impressive I must say. I also depends on the amount used as well. I use a hefty almond size but some people can use as little as a pea size amount.

The lavender and the avocado both irritated my face also.

9. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

$14.50 is a good price. You paid some sales tax presumably but that's prob. not as much as s/h so all in all you can't get much better than that. I always see guys talking about an almond sized dollop. An almond is actually a pretty small nut if you look at it. I use a thick quarter sized scoop of cream when I use them. A two-almond scoop I'd say. There's nothing worse than not enough cream...the lather gets all dry and isn't as slick.

10. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Actually, no sales tax in Oregon. So pretty competitive in price and I got it same day! :signs021

11. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Yeah, they got no sales tax in Oregon

If you want to try the rest of the creams, email the folks at shavingessentials.net, they made a sampler of all the TOBS creams 18.50 shipped. Decent sized samples too. Get a tub of JM Frasers original while you are at it ;)

12. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Rodd sent me a sample of the JM Frasers. That is good stuff. A good work horse cream.

13. bonzo

bonzo New Member

What does Mr. Taylor's smell like?

14. saltypete

saltypete New Member

I have a tub of Mr Taylor's and also St James. I have found that the Mr Taylor's is thicker and harder (like a really soft soap) in texture, whilst the St James is more creamy (like my GFT Sandalwood). However both lather really well and I'm impressed with them. One question, given that I've used both TOB and GFT creams, what should I expect from T & H ? Been considering trying some of their creams but the prices are pretty high.

Pete

15. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

From Classic Shaving website:

Mr Taylor Collection
    For generations, discriminating gentlemen have selected this crisp and spicy fragrance in which Tarragon, Lavender and Incense combine with hints of Green Galbanum and Citrus for an elegant manly scent and a warm, woody drydown with traces of Cedar, Sandal, Patchouli and Musk. Green Galbanum-Green, bitter, conifer, balsamic. I had to research that one. Grey Flannel is given as a represenative scent.

Sorry for not responding sooner, my wife said that it smells like Dior Poison, with a woodsy undertone.

16. Lopyswine

Lopyswine New Member

I've found the TOBS avocado to be very dry. Not drying to my skin, but rather it dries up mid shave.

i have not had that experience with any other TOBS.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Love some TOBS I think the Rose is my favorite one.. the almond is very nice also

Fuzzy