Today started out bad, but had a nice twist...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Brian, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

Today kind of started out bad, in fact you might say it down right was horrid. Upon waking I found my wife unresponsive, her suger had bottomed out in the night (she is hypoglycemic, which means lower than normal level of blood glucose) so I rush and get a glucose tablet for her. I help her dress and take her across the street to our favorite cafe. As we are eating she begins to look better, but still not well. So, being the sweet, loving, kind, thoughtful husband that I am, I inquire what seemed to be the matter. Well, she said... She had neglected to take her anti seizure meds for the last few days, and felt as if one might be coming on. (The woman works at the hospital on the cardio floor, one would think she understood the need to keep up with meds...one would think.)

So, with this in mind I don't open the business today and stay home to watch and care for her (after all I am that warm, wonderful, kind, and loving husband...) tending to all of her needs and just trying to make her feel cared for if not better (loving part). The morning passes with her napping most of it away, just a few small tremors in her sleep, so far so good. Early mid-afternoon arrives with her looking and feeling better. The urge is on her to go for a ride on the motorcycle. Not the best of ideas I say with the possibility of seizure still, perhaps a ride in the van (see there is the thoughtful part).

We make our way threw town and pass a little antique store thats always closed, but as luck would have it open now. She asks to stop. On the third isle I find a nice vintage mustache cup,
    [​IMG]
    with just a small chip on the inside rim. $3.00 was the asking price and who can say "no" to a bargin when it comes to this hobby? Who was I to even try?

We didn't find anything else of real interest and continued South on our ride. Driving a bit further we found ourselves in Mckenzie, TN down on the town square, where we found this little mom and pop drug store. We entered figuring to find a cold bottle of soda and then a walk around the square. As we entered the cutest little old woman who could have been an extra for the Wizard of Oz (think lolly pop kids) asked if she could be of any help? On a chance I asked to see what they offered for the wet shaver. 2 pucks of Williams covered in a fine layer of dust, sat next to all of the different brands of canned goo one one could ask for. Well, at least they should have a nice cold grape ni hi I figured. But wait... What is that? Is that really a package of Injector Blades? What? Three of them? About this time my wife sees them and begins to smile. She snatches one, and on second thought, goes back and snags the other two, while thinking of her Lady Ever Ready back at home and the lack of blades in our town.
    [​IMG]

And as we turn to go pay for her find, I see it. No, it can't be... I rub my eyes and look again. But it is still there... Sitting in the corner all by itself, collecting a fine layer of dust, a lone bottle of Aqua Velva.
    [​IMG]
    And not just any bottle of Aqua Velva my friends, but a 7 oz GLASS bottle of this magical exlir. The same creature that has been eluding me since I have joined this fine forum. (Side note, for any of you that has looked for this in a glass bottle it is near impossible to find as you well know, and on ebay has been going for an avg of 20.00 plus dollars on bid, and for the buy it now it ranges from $80.00-120.00) So as I do my happy dance in front of my wife and a bemused clerk I snatch it up and explain just why I'm so enthralled, (my wife well knowing my woes of being out bid in the last three seconds). With a look of pleasure of seeing a customer so happy, the clerk replys with "Well you should make a nice profit". WHAT? What was that she uttered? Blasphemy!!! Blasphemy I say! I explained or did until her eyes glazed over from I know not what... How purist, and enthusiast such as the fine men and women here, prefer the glass bottle over the plastic any day. How the pure art of wet shaving.... yeah, thats where I lost her too. But at least here my peers understand me, and my love for this hobby for which I am thankful for.

My lovely bride, now feeling better from a mixture of taking her meds and the joy of a great find suggests we search the town for more finds. But, as it so happens in life we were to be dissapointed for there were no further finds. But then I took out that bottle, full of bright blue cooling after shave I knew my day had turned out well, seeing my wife smile and knowing she felt better, I (that kind, caring, loving, thoughtful, sweet, husband that I am) knew my day couldn't get any better.

And for those of you who don't know, my SWMBO'd is also here on this forum as CRS, make sure you say "hi".

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I hope CRS is feeling better. Blood sugar woes suck, especially while sleeping. I hate waking up in the ER.

Congrats on your glass bottle of AV, and the other goodies. Are those razors I see in the display case the mustache mug is sitting on?

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm glad everything turned out alright.

Sounds like it ended up being a pretty nice day.

4. jcwit

jcwit Member

Looks like everything is OK now. Keep an eye on your wife and her taking her meds. Its very important.

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thank you, she's feeling better. And yes, those are razors in the display case. Thats my overflow that won't fit on the shelves in the bathroom. A friend gave me the case when we were looking at opening a spa. We make our own brand (7th day Spa) of soaps, lotions and such. Right now she sells it to the other nurses at her work, friends and family. The spa is on hold right now as she is looking to move to a larger hospital too work which would entail us moving closer to a city.

6. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

If you are looking for a medically high employment area for her to move to I know that Knoxville and Johnson City are huge medical employers. Just trying to help :)

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glad that it all ended well for everyone!

8. Brian

Brian Active Member

Very good, thank you. We'll have to take a long weekend this fall and go take a look. Spring, summer and early fall is my busy season. With both of them being good size towns I think I'd do well with my business besides offering her a wider job base to pick from.

[​IMG]

"Nothing beats a Great Dog!"

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Agreed, I have to keep track of the Blood Sugars since I am a Type 2 diabetic and have the same problem if mine gets too high. I hope CRS is getting better!

10. supe

supe Active Member

glad things turned out well. Like my Dad always told me, "do good things and good things will happen to you"

11. Tforc

Tforc Member

Good to know all turnd out ok with CRS
    Grats on the finds.
    B

12. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

I'm glad she is feeling better, but what did you buy her? :)

13. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

I hear you on the blood sugar thing - I get pretty good lows from time to time. I hate it when that happens. Good job on taking care of your wife.

Glad to see you found your bottle of AV!

14. Brian

Brian Active Member

She got the injector blades for her Lady Ever Ready, plus the breakfast, and lunch, not to mention supper....

15. Brian

Brian Active Member

I feel for you, just watching her and how it effects her I know it can't be fun to be faced with this. And to have to deal with it on a day to day has got to be a challenge. I hope all of you that have shared on being effected by suger watches it closely. One of our friends lost first a toe, then foot, and before it was all over both of his legs due to his battle with suger. (His was Type 2) With both of her parents being Type 2 the doctors tell us before it's all said and done she has a 50/50 chance at ending up Type 2. Thanks for the pat on the back, but I enjoy taking care of her, kind of a pay back for all of the great things she does for me.

And I am still excited about the AV! It's sitting next to me right now so I can take a wiff every now and then. Silly I know, but man does it smell good!

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

What a rollercoaster day! Glad it was better at the end any CRS is doing well.

17. CRS

CRS Member

Thank you for being a great, kind, and wonderful husband Brian. I am feeling much better. It is also wonderful that we found my injector blades. Now I can try out my Lady Ever Ready. I am glad you found your Aqua Velva as well. Your collection is growing everday. :) Love you

18. CRS

CRS Member

Thank you everyone for all the kind words and well wishes. It means alot to me.

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

CRS, I'm glad you're feeling better, and it's nice to read your day ended on a positive note for both of you. :)

20. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

:sihns011