Toggle vs FatBoy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LOOT, Nov 27, 2016.

1. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

So, I finally got my D1 Toggle for my birthday and some new soap!

After shaving with it for 3 days now, I'm wondering if it is more aggressive than the FatBoy? To me, it seems to be about a 2 number difference. 9 vs 7 FatBoy to Toggl e.

Everyday for 3 days is not a very long sample period but I'm definitely digging it so far. I like the extra weight. At first I didn't care for the smooth end because it gets slippery. This forced me to grab it closer to the head. Doing that removes the majority of wrist flip which I'm prone to do with a longer handle.

The next experiment will be to see how it handles 4 days growth. My hair is coarse and my FatBoy will mow it down in 1 pass.

Toggle.jpg

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Congrats on the razor. It's a razor thats on my want list. Let us know how the shaves are

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Very nice razor. Great soap too.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Id love to be able to make the comparison.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

lol you and me both

Primotenore likes this.
  6. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

It's been awhile since I've used a Fatboy, but it does seem as though the Toggle is a tad more aggressive. If you look the blade angle is slightly different. I get a smoother shave if I use a shallower angle. For me 5 is a pretty good setting for daily use. Great razor though and it looks like you have a nice one! :eatdrink047:

Carbide Mike and clint64 like this.
  7. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Before I came here, I was using a Slim for about 6 years; the Fatboy felt odd in comparison. My toggle doesn't feel much different, but it's definitely got the cool factor going for it. Tolerances are tighter, too. It's been a while since I've used a Fatboy, but since I got a second one (the first was given to my grandson), Ima try it tonight to re-live the experience.

I'd always set the Slim on "3", and got good results. With the toggle (and a Gillette Platinum blade), I had to go "6" for my stupid sideways-growing whiskers on my throat, but it got the job done. No blood drawn. We'll see what Fatboy does tonight.

Edit: Started out on "3", then "4" across my throat. One final full pass on "5". Lodz Polsilver stainless blade, a mix of Arko & Williams for a moist, slick lather with my Strong Set brush. A bit awkward at first (not used to the weight after using my Rockets for the past couple of days, and Tech before that), but got the hang of it quickly; a few pinpricks 'cuz I got careless, but closed 'em with a cold rinse. Touch-up in spots. Nivea post-shave balm.

Slick, as slick a shave as I've had in a while. It'll be slicker with a Voskhod, I'll wager.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Carbide Mike, Demidog and RyX like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

@LOOT, your Toggle is a beauty. Congrats and Happy Birthday!

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +100!!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

well I have heard on some forums that the gap on Gillette adjustables is the same on the settings because they SUPPOSEDLY used that number of blades in the razor to get the gap number.
    ie setting two should fit 2 Gillette thin blades inside with the lid closed,, and so on.

Carbide Mike and LOOT like this.
  11. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Happy birthday and congratulations on getting an awesome razor. Good choice in the shaving software in that photo as well.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I don't have a Toggle, so I'll just stew in my jealousy. Nice find.

HERM

Carbide Mike and Jorvaljr like this.
  13. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the well wishes.

I got lucky and picked the Toggle up on EBay. I paid less than they were going for at the time. It is in excellent condition. Only slight plating loss on the toggle end and some on one of the outer doors. I thought I'd send it off for plating but Ima use it like it is.

I'm not so sure the Toggle = 4(FatBoy $$) formula was worth it just yet. Time will tell. If not, I'll run the FatBoy and relegate the Toggle to "Safe Queen" status.

14. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

You step up in aggressiveness after each pass? Interesting. I do the exact opposite. I'll run the FatBoy at 9, then 5, then 3 for cleanup. On 9, it can reduce several days growth to relatively clean skin in one pass.

Is there an accepted "norm" or is this personal preference?

15. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

The Toggle I've only ran at 5, then 3, then 2 for cleanup. I'll try out the higher settings, I'm sure. By shallower angle, you mean riding the cap closer to the center post?

I have a few facial moles I have to be very careful with when running over about 4 on the FB. Cap one of those suckers and you can bleed for days it seems.

Carbide Mike and Redfisher like this.
  16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

The Toggle might clamp the blade a little tighter against the silo than the Fatboy normally does due to the need to build a tighter tolerance into the Toggle's more fixed locking system (?). Essentially the toggle is a one position on-off snaplock while the tto is a screw fastener that almost has a tightening adjuster built right into the design. That could have some effect on blade geometry and therefore perhaps aggressiveness at each setting, couldn't it?

Either way, the toggle is definitely a cool design and you got yourself a beauty there... Congrats!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Very nice Toggle! These razors look cool and many people have love for them. Enjoy!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Due to both the uniqueness and rarity.
    The scarcity is certainly what has caused the prices on them to absolutely sky-rocket.
    Do they shave better than a FatBoy?….
    Subjective, of course.
    The reviews I've read from those whom have used both models seem to find they shave quite similar in feel and aggressiveness—which is no surprise as they are very similar in head design and from the same manufacturer.

Carbide Mike and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

If you shave them off enough times they will go away! Seriously, ride the cap a little more than you might a different razor.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

More trial & error, really. It just happened to work for me. I left it on "6" last night, no changes, and had to touch-up several places, mainly just below my jawline. I'd used the Cremo, too. Not sure if that had any effect or not, but I'm not too keen on it. Sure liking the Arko, though.

Carbide Mike likes this.