Tonight is the night. It's been a long 28 years

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Reformation Student, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I have my midnight ticket for Tron:Legacy :happy108

Everything I've seen so far makes this a very promising sequel and the special effects look nothing short of spectacular. I only wish they brought back the 3rd main character from the 1st film. They have Alan and Flynn but no Lora.

Anyway, it'll be a good night to be a geek. Tomorrow, though, will be a rough day with the lack of sleep but, oh so worth it.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  3. KiltedShaver

KiltedShaver Member

Congratulations! I'm a bit jealous! Enjoy!

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Never did see the original. Looked a little goofy. But I hear good things about this new one. Enjoy!

5. swimman

swimman New Member

Let me know your thoughts. I don't do many movies but have comtemplated Tron.

6. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

My thoughts? <SPOILER ALERT!!>

Incredible special effects. Absolutely stunning. Especially when you see how they de-aged Jeff Bridges 25 years. That's the only good thing I can say about it.

They had 28 years to develop a good story line for a sequel and I think they put all their efforts into the special effects and nothing into the story line. It was very weak. Basically, Kevin Flynn decides to build a new system to benefit mankind. It was to be a "utopia" and he kept bouncing back and forth between the real world and the "Grid" but needed help so he enlists the help of Tron and creates a program called CLU, in Kevin's own image. He tasks them with building this perfect system and long story short, genocide of a new species of algorithms that spontaneously developed, annexing other programs to turn them into soldiers in a huge army so Clu can take over the real world and make it "perfect" and Clu/Kevin Flynn get destroyed, along with the "perfect" system by the end of the movie. Kevin realizes that perfection isn't attainable, especially through technology and it's implied that what's most important is relationships. His son marvels at all Kevin created and Kevin says "I would have given it all up for one more day with you". The rest of the movie was just special effects.

It lived up to the first movie in terms of ground breaking effects but failed in continuing the first movie with a decent storyline.

There were some funny parts that I think slammed Microsoft. The Encom (major software giant of the world) board of directors takes over in Kevin's absence and focuses totally on profits. They are about to introduce Encom OS 12 and Alan (Tron from the first movie and Kevin's friend) asks the chairman, "With the exorbitant price we charge schools and students and everyone else for our OS, what significant changes are we giving them with OS 12", the Chairman replies "Well, this year, we put a 12 on the box". (quotes may not be word for word but real close as I remember).

All in all, I agree with one of the other attendees at the theater who commented that they couldn't believe we stayed up till midnight for this. I am very disappointed. From all appearances, it looked like Disney did it right but in the end, they only got one part of it right. There was so much they could've done with story lines and I think they missed it. It does seem that they left the door open at the end of the movie for a 3rd installment. Let's hope in another 28 years they do it better.

7. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

edited for accuracy :D

still, I'll probably watch it :rolleyes: