Too much pressure

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NoahG, Apr 19, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

I realized that I have been using way too much pressure with the razor, but it feels like it isn't doing anything when I don't. Could this be an indication of anything or am I just over analyzing everything?
    Using the Edwin Jagger DE86 and a third round Astra SP.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Try some different blades...?

But if you are not feeling anything.... and you are still removing hair then you are doing good!

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

in general little to preferably no pressure should be used. If your lather is good and the astras aren't cutting it, have you checked the angle? For most razors, the angle will be close to 30 degrees but will very a bit for each person, razor, blade, etc...

4. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

Sounds like an angle issue, but it could be you are trying to remove too much at one time.

Just remember multiple passes and gradual hair removal. You may have hairs growing in different directions in the same area and feel you need to apply pressure, but try a different direction. I have an area under my neck about 1"x2" that the hair grows in 3 different directions.

5. NoahG

NoahG Member

It is around my jawline so angle makes sense.

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I have the same issue on my jaw line. Try some stretching and don't use much pressure at all. I just do some buffing on the jaw to get it nice.

7. ginsu

ginsu New Member

Have you mapped your face? I know I was struggling with my jaw until I really nailed the grain. my shaves got smoother and I was getting better results overall. To be sure, angle contributes and is a challenge to get "just so." If you end up with smooth shaves, but irritation, I'd think it's a grain issue. If you can't get a good shave and irritation, I'd suspect angle (scraping more than skimming...).

Or the blade you use doesn't agree with you. there's always that...