Top 3 Shave Sticks

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SILKS, Aug 11, 2018.

1. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Whats going down all,
    So what would you all consider the top 3 Shave Sticks on the market ?:eatdrink047:

RyX likes this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Arko, Erasmic (the old formula which is new again), Valobra

RyX likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Vintage Williams, Palmolive, & Arko.

In that order but I like all three. Haven't tried any others but I keep seeing La Toja in SOTD photos. Anyone care to share a scent and lather description?

4. richgem

I used La Toja (Miss Jackson, if you're nasty.*) years back. I don't remember the scent, but I do remember that I didn't care for the performance.

(*yes, I know that's the wrong Miss Jackson, but too bad. :p)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Frijolero and RyX like this.
  5. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Valobra ??

6. richgem

It's Italian. But, fairly easy to find on the net and from some of the usual suppliers.

[​IMG]

brit, wristwatchb, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Where can i purchase these items.. I have always wanted to try the Palmolive :bounce017:

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  8. richgem

I believe that Palmolive is no longer made. You might want to post a want to buy here on TSD. The others you can find online. It might also be worth knowing that the scent of both palmolive and Arko can be very off-putting for some. Although I like Arko.

PLAla, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Palmolive is still made and sold in Europe. You can get two sticks on eBay for less then $5 shipped.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, PLAla, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  10. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Kool thanks for the info... Ill do a search for both product...

Very kool thanks for all your help bro...

Kool, thanks for the pic.!!! Ill check it out....

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Arko scent is often compared to toilet bowl cleaner. Could be the very lemony flavor. I won't eat foods prepared with lemongrass for that reason. It's made in Turkey, is absolutely the easiest soap to lather, can dry out your skin which is nice if you have an oily complexion, and is about the cheapest soap on the planet. You may be tempted to purchase the 12 pack. Do so. Then you can give away sticks to friends when they start their wet shave journey.

As Andrew @Linuxguile mentioned, Palmolive is currently available. It's a good soap with a light scent, gives rich creamy lather, and an excellent post shave feel. I like the residual slickness - good for taking a second pass over an already shaved area.

Both of these soaps have been mushed into small containers with snap tight lids. I don't face lather so having a stick makes for difficult loading. A dribble of water into the container, a bit of agitation with a damp brush, and to my Japanese Suribachi bowl for the finish.
    SOTD 08112018.gif

wristwatchb, jtspartan, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  12. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Great, thanks for the picture and the information... I need to get a hold of some of that Palmolive.... Sounds like some good stuff... Im all about the post shave.. ..:)

Hmmmmm very creative sir

13. richgem

Oh....ok. my bad.

RyX likes this.
  14. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

My coach use to say" Im tired of hearing My Bad i freakin Want to hear My GOOD" sometimes .Thanks for all your help sir.... :):):):):angelic007::angelic007:

15. richgem

Glad to help.

16. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Confirmed, Thanks

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

we-have-clearance-clarence-roger-roger-whats-our-vector-victor.jpg

18. richgem

wristwatchb, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  19. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I'm a bowl latherer too. So I just take the stick and "color" the bottom of the suribachi like a crayon, then lather away.

Just make sure you don't grab an actual glue stick before you've had your coffee. :p

I have a stick of La Toja that's down to a half inch or so. To my unsophisticated nose, the scent is not unlike palmolive bar soap that I've used. I couldn't name any notes though. I mostly bowl lather it, and it's awesome. When I try to face lather it, I end up with not enough water on the first pass. Probably using too much actually. Soap that is. But after the first pass all's well.

connaughtshaving.com carries the palmolive sticks, 2 for £1.50. They also have the Valobra stick, and a Wilkinson Sword stick I've been meaning to try. (And lots of other things that you want, you just don't know it yet.) Very reasonable shipping to the US.

wristwatchb, jimjo1031 and RyX like this.
  20. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Kool ..... Thanks for all your help sir

RyX likes this.