Total Change of Plan...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Raven312, Apr 16, 2013.

?

Which would you choose?

1. Gillette Fatboy (G3, in this case)

50.0%
  2. Megress XL

50.0%
  1. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: I blame every single one of you for this! All of you...

OK, so I've been on the lookout for a birth year Fatboy because I've heard much about them and I thought it would be cool to have, as I love razors with weight. I also prefer longer handles due to these mitts they call hands. HOWEVER, the prices I'm seeing for these things on Ebay make me wonder if I'm being reasonable. This all brings me to...

I have an opportunity to buy a Merkur Progress and have it converted to the Mergress XL for about the same or less as I'm seeing these Fatboys. Truth, there's only one Fatboy I want and that's a G3. I figure that if I get the Mergress XL. I would end up with 2 adjustables (Mergress and a Slim Adjustable) and would have to part with my Merkur 180 (honoring my agreement). I think I could live with two adjustables for five months (when I'm allowed to look for another razor if I choose).

How crazy do I sound??

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the mortgage this month, get them both and one more to use for parts incase something breaks.

3. Raven312

:happy102: If I got them both, I would be the one with something broken!

4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

It doesn't break, it just bends. :)

Raven312 likes this.
  5. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got a very good price on the Mergress. Get it and sell it for what you paid if you dont like it.

Raven312 likes this.
  6. Raven312

I could do that! Good advice! Thanks.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The fortunate/unfortunate thing is around here you sound "PERFECTLY" normal...:)

burnout961 likes this.
  8. Raven312

:happy097:

9. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I don't have a Progress or Megress, but I do have a Futur and love the way it shaves much better than the FatBoy. I bought 2 FatBoys that are mechanically okay, but never understood the hype. The Black Beauty superadjustable is much better, I think.

10. Raven312

The Black Beauty is definitely on my radar. I like the long handle. The Futur has been on my wishlist and I've been reading a lot of reviews for it. I hadn't considered it but it's cheaper (or likely around the same price as the Fatboy) than both of the two options I've been considering and that's something to mull over... The reason I thought about the Mergress as opposed to the Futur is the head seems to be more streamlined on the Mergress (though I really don't shave under my nose very often, I just line it up).

11. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Who will you be in trouble with? And why? Have you been dipping into her shoe/cosmetic/clothes/beauty salon/latte money to buy the odd instrument to scrape hairs off your face, just so she can stand to look at you? Why, oh why must you be so self consumed? ;)

12. Raven312

I know, right?! LOL We've made plans to travel more this year and she's afraid I'll nickel and dime the travel plans by indulging in this "shaving thing", as it's called. I've made a deal that other than finding two razors that I will really enjoy for everyday use, I won't make anymore razor purchases until after 8/31.