Trac II - Bargain Luxury Razors

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by EnglishChannel, Feb 6, 2017.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Folks, thought I would post this to let you know that there are some amazing deals available in older shave systems.

In the last few weeks, I was lucky to have found 2 separate brand new TracII razor handles at bargain prices at a local outlet store near me. Both are designed as travel razors, meaning that the razor handles break down to a compact footprint and fit in a case for travel. Break down of the handles is accomplished by unscrewing the threaded sections and each one was included in a "travel kit". These were NOT in the shaving section of the store, and in fact until I opened up the kits, I was not aware that they contained the razors.

Both are what I would consider high end or luxury handles, in that they are solid metal of substantial weight, and very nicely constructed. One is solid stainless steel, the other is of an unknown metal but silver plated.

The silver plated kit is very compact and holds the razor and a blade in a compact pocket size silver plated case - about 3.5" X 3.5". Inside the top of the case is a small mirror which can be used to signal S.O.S. - or shave. It cost me $2.99 - it was missing the cartridge.

The stainless steel razor comes in a tube shaped steel case of 2" radius by about 5" high , which in addition to the razor & blade, holds a tweezer, toothbrush (which also uses the razor handle), 2 nail clippers, a nail/eyebrow scissors, nail file and cuticle pusher. The contents are held securely in a specially cutout foam rubber liner. It cost me $3.99.

This was a fortunate for me, because I had never used a TracII cartridge razor before now, but had always wanted to try it. Now I have the platform to finally try this platform of shave tool. The Gillette Atra (basically a TracII with a swivel head) remains one of my favorite cartridge razors.

The Gillette Trac II blades were available locally at $18.99 for 10. Not a great deal, but I know that I can get them online cheaper. Both of these razors gave me a great BBS with a new cartridge. Very nice.

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Try to find some NOS Wilkinson Sword cartridges.