Trader Joes Shaving Kit

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by gzp, Dec 4, 2015.

1. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Came across this today, I don't know how long it's been out, or how good it may be.
    http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/2740
    From the linked page:

A Close Shave Shaving Kit
    sandalwood scented shave soap & shave balm, along with a wooden handled soft nylon shaving brush
    The soap is made with coconut oil and shea butter and with a bit of water and the included brush, produces a thick lather that promotes a clean, close shave. The balm contains coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, aloe vera, and shea butter,
    $9.99,

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'll have to check that out.

3. steyrman13

steyrman13 Member

We just had a Trader Joes open up. Looks like it is time to pay them a visit.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I just wish their two-buck-chuck was still two bucks

TheFiveO likes this.
  5. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Same here...but even at Three Buck Chuck...it's pretty tasty!

As much as I love TJ's products and their quality is first rate, $99 bucks for a nylon brush and soap a bit much to swallow. Now if it were "private" labeled MdC or something.....

6. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

doesn't seem bad as long as its usable quality. If it was super shedder with a floppy tangle prone knot and sandalwood scented Williams then it might be a bit much. A tub of proraso costs as much as this.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There's a bit about it over here

And a video:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    Robyflexx likes this.
  8. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

You might have misread it, it's only $9.99

RaZorBurn123 and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  9. TheFiveO

Oops...... thought dyslexia had i

pvtbanks likes this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011: Try the Giant Greek Green Olives. Be quick, they're a seasonal item. :eatdrink023:

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I received the TJ ad in the mail yesterday, the kit was in ad. This years popcorn tin looks fabulous! :)

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

1st impression is very disappointing. I'll have to give the soap another try, first attempt I failed to get a lather. It's soft and it may be my fault, I overloaded the brush. I'm concerned it may be like the Shea Moisture Shave Cream but the thread Darkbulb linked to indicates there's hope for a better outcome. Brush is much stiffer than anything I'm used to. I face lather and any pressure beyond using just the tips gave me too much "scritch". Just the tips was fine but when I tried another soap I ended up bowl lathering. That worked out fine. It's probably just a matter of developing a proper technique that suits the brush. For those who like a stiff brush it may be worth a try, for me, it's unlikely it will give my L'occitane Cade Plisson any competition but this was just a first try. Trader Joes Close Shave 1.JPG .

13. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Face-lathering works with more pressure. Just needed more pressure. Too little pressure and the brush "stiff-arms" your face. More pressure and the brush splays.

battle.munky and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  14. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I got this kit a few days ago and took her for a spin...I didnt use the brush since I have a brush I prefer to use and I didnt get the set because of the brush...the soap to me really isnt bad at all, it isnt one of my best performer's but it does its job very well...I have to say though that I LOVE the scent of this soap, you all know how "scent" is but to me it is very much a sandalwood scent, with a holiday spice twist....it really is a great scent and the ASB is the same....is it worth $10? this to me is always subjective as I can think of some great soaps for under $10 and we all already have a lot of different soaps, so its not really a need...but, for the whole set at $10 I think it is a steal, again its not going to be the best soap,ASB, or brush in anyones den but it is VERY much serviceable.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  15. TheFiveO

Picked mine up at Traders Joe's yesterday...... It was $9.99, marked down from $99.:rofl:

My SWMBO is making me wait til Christmas to open it.

Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I got some a few weeks ago. I to found that I over loaded the brush the first time. The scent is good. What I really like is how soft my face is after shaving. It is a very slick soap in my opinion. I used the brush the first time just to see how it went. It dod not shared at all. I like the Boar brushes so this was nor bad. At this point I think I would get it again if it were offered again.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

I think one of the major takeaways though is that a major retailer is seeing fit to carry a wet shaving kit. Hopefully, it's an indicator of things to come.

18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I just got mine for xmas and tried it for the first time. I think it's good , but then again I'm new to wet shaving and only have poraso to go against . I'm using a weishi razor and dorco blade.

PLANofMAN, Robyflexx and PLAla like this.
  19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I used the soap and brush this morning. I posted about it in SOTD. Basically I was going to use a cold water approach but the soap build-up wouldn't come off of the razor when swishing in the sink. I had to switch to warm water in the sink to get the build-up off. Odd problem.

But the soap smells terrific! I think it's a really good deal at $9.99.

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

was the brush nylon or boar bristle?