Traditional USA Shaving Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rio Bravo, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo Well-Known Member

Hi, this is my first post and I am sure this might have already been previously covered in another post! Personally I am still familiarising myself with this site but the question I have is: Are there any traditional american shaving soaps that exist today that maintain their traditional formula, look, feel and smell and have also retained their branding? I'm talking between the period of 1850-1890 when the likes of billy the kid an Pat Garrett were around. A bizarre request but for some reason something I feel I must pursue... I am based in the UK and already have our equivalent Mitchell's wool fat... Please help

wristwatchb and GDCarrington like this.
  2. Rio Bravo

Also, it doesn't have to fall within those dates. The oldest possible that you know would be greatly appreciated. My curiosity is that I want to embrace the history or shaving

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

About the only one I know of would be Williams Mug Soap. Started in 1840 I think. Has gone thru several reformulations and not universally liked now. However, I use the modern stuff and find it's a fine soap.

Rio Bravo likes this.
  4. Rio Bravo

Every little bit of information helps. I'm after anything. Even if it's from 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s an 60s.

5. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

The old spice tubes of cream out of India are the same old formulation, just not made in US anymore. You could always get a Tin of CAD from Phenix Artison Acutriments, it's supposed to be the classic barbersol scent.

Rio Bravo likes this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think as already mentioned the only classic US soap still available out there is going to be Williams, and it's been modified over the years. Most things have, I think the spirit of Williams soap is pretty much the same. Smells like citronella to me, you should try it. You can also get various unused soaps on Ebay going back to who knows when. Some people collect vintage soap.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The only remaining 'classics' still in production, that I found are;

- Williams Mug soap,
    - Barbasol brushless shaving cream in tube (supposedly very close to the original 1919 formula),
    - Lucky Tiger Molle (also brushless). Not as old as Barbasol but it still goes back to the 1930's,
    - Dr Sheffield's...brushless cream, I believe also from the 30's but may be off a decade in either direction,

GDCarrington and Rio Bravo like this.
  8. Rio Bravo

You Sir, are a star! 10/10. I was beginning to wonder if there was only 1 or 2 brands. I will investigate and update you on my choice.

9. Rio Bravo

Excellent. I didn't think of that. Will do some research on ebay

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Prairie Creations makes Walter's Shave Soap which is supposed to be like vintage Williams.

I went through a couple pucks and it is pretty nice.

GDCarrington and Rio Bravo like this.
  11. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO TSD, ENJOY YOUR SHAVE

12. Rio Bravo

Thank you

13. Rio Bravo

Well I hope some silver lining appears during the night... To wake up in the morning and find a hidden treasure of a US soap; still in production from an old barber, 10th generation, based off of Texas that has retained the production values of their original fathers' creation. It's a nice dream :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Actually one more that was used as a shaving soap because it was a major player in the soap market period. Many a man used it shaving from the time when it was introduced in 1879.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More in the thread below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_(soap)

A warm welcome to you from North Texas. You might want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on hardware.

With that being said ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!
    Burma Shave

Shaver X, crackstar, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

For fun, here's a bit about how the cowboys of yesteryear shaved.
    It's a pretty fun read.

I do wonder what razor he is holding here, back in 1912:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Tdmsu, Rio Bravo and GDCarrington like this.
  16. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Colgate and Old Spice.

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Apparently cowboys back then were very fond of Bay Rum. I found that referenced on a number of sites. Go figure.

Rio Bravo likes this.
  18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Coming from a farm and ranching background, I know that even the VEG would be more preferable than the smell of a herd of cows. Bay Rum would be heavenly in that enviroment!

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Fourth generation running the family business Razor MD starting back in the 1920's (registered in the 70's) - might also be interesting.

Rio Bravo and GDCarrington like this.
  20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Welcome to the Den. Great people at this AO. :signs046:

Rio Bravo and GDCarrington like this.