Travel Razor preferences

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by George X, Apr 16, 2016.

1. George X

George X Well-Known Member

I travel frequently for work and recently purchased a Parker A1R travel safety razor. I did a trial run before my upcoming travel and this thing was a smooth glide...so smooth I knicked under my nose, left cheek and chin and didn't know it until the Crimson color started weeping.

I'm sure this will be a good edition once I get used to the small handle and angle, but I'm curious what others use for their travels. My daily driver is the Merkur 38c HD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, RaZorBurn123 and Robyflexx like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use the same thing I use at home. I mean, really, a travel razor saves, what, a couple of mm and a few grams?

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I totally agree with this statement.

4. George X

I've been thinking that is probably going to be my best bet

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I use a full-size Star DE for travel. It has a hard plastic case that protects it. That way I don't have to adapt to a smaller, lighter razor.

AGHisBBS, BigMike and George X like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I know I'm packing socks. I wrap and protect my razor with them.

AGHisBBS and George X like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've used a variety of razors as travel razors, but oddly enough, seldom a travel razor. Most vintage "travel" razors are too valuable to take traveling, and this isn't the last century where space and weight were vital concerns when a person carried everything on their back. Carpetbags have been replaced by wheeled luggage. :)

AGHisBBS, George X and Robyflexx like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I am maybe an oddball here, but I travel a ton, and wet shaving is my newest indoor hobby, and I figure that if I can't take it with me......

I am bringing two razors with me at any given point: both are full sized, both are "den quality", and both are inexpensive enough that if they get stolen, I won't shed tears. It gives me a little of that "den" choice every day.

My thought is: We aren't carrying bags over our shoulders and trying to jump on moving trains anymore. I have room for a couple extra things.

Disclaimer: Obviously I understand when people are moving fast and light, no judgement implied.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460836297.802229.jpg

opsimath, AGHisBBS, George X and 3 others like this.
  9. George X

@PickledNorthern
    Thanks for the feedback. I am generally not concerned about weight, it's generally space in the DOPP that causes issues. I travel tomorrow and I will update how this goes. I plan on bring my daily driver and the new Parker travel razor and a new styptic pencil for the inevitable weepers caused by the Parker....or just use the daily driver until I get better with the travel razor.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    When my wife had her knee replacement, I took this setup to the hospital and did my shaves there. She was in seven days due to complications. Everything is fine now. I usually just travel with whatever razor I am using at the time.[​IMG]

Here is my first travel razor though. I have taken it on trips.
    [​IMG]

opsimath, AGHisBBS, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

I hear you, and there was a time when my "travel kit" consisted of a ripped open bag of Bic Twins, stuffed in my glovebox.

I have since become "girlified" (no offense aimed at the wonderful women who are so instrumental in keeping this place going), but I am now carrying for shaving:

2- Razors
    Choice of four or five different blades.
    2- Brushes, synth and badger
    Marvy Mug
    Collapsible Bowl
    Two Soaps
    One cream
    Witch Hazel
    Choice of two/three AS
    Alum Block
    Styptic Matches

Dude, I have become the biggest travel shave nerd ever. That said, I have a little creature comfort with me all the time, and it is nice after the end of a long season.

Here is my "dopp" when it is unload, at home:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460840435.729259.jpg

opsimath, AGHisBBS, George X and 4 others like this.
  12. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Awesome, love it! :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. George X

@PickledNorthern
    I have a few things to work on to get the travel thing down. I am going to use this trip to see what needs improvement/included and what can get thinned out. I've got a DOPP similar to yours and it's always stuffed.

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I ended up leaving for an overnighter this weekend. Grabbed the Fatboy, so that's my current "travel" razor.
    [​IMG]

AGHisBBS, shoe13950, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

Can't argue with that set up....

AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  16. George X

Outstanding

AGHisBBS, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  17. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I have a sort of Frankenrazor for travel. It's a 2 piece Pearl travel razor handle (plated brass - very beefy) with a Shavecraft 101 shave head. These components reside in a Merkur leather travel razor case. The assembled razor is full sized and quite weighty.

Here is the handle:​

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, Jim99, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  18. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

There was a time where I had a travel kit that was different from my regular kit.
    I was concerned that the razor could be confiscated by the airport security/check in folks.
    Now I just use my regular gear.
    Tend to prefer STF/synthetic brushes for travel as they dry quicker.

19. PickledNorthern

It is proabaly fair to mention that I DON'T FLY. I guess I have been doing what I do for long enough that when it comes up once in a while, I can say, "give me three extra days to get there, cause I don't do planes.. As far as overseas, it won't happen for work, and as far as for fun, there are hundreds of thousands of miles in our own country that I haven't seen on a motorcycle yet, so I have plenty of time to worry about it. Or not.

20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Trac II for air travel. Super Speed for land.