Travelling with straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rusty blade, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I recently had to travel and generally when I travel I take a DE (Fat Handle Tech) or a Schick type G. It's quick, easy and minimal fuss. I always check in my luggage so no hassles with security. This time, however, I decided to take two SRs with me. I brought a small board strop and my usual software. A couple of observations. I realize I am particular about my "sink setup". A different house, and I had to adjust my set up. Mild anxiety, but I adapted. On the plus side I have been using straights almost exclusively for the past couple of months, so traveling with SRs is like eating comfort food. I realize that I need to find a case for two SRs when I travel. I just wrapped the two I brought with me in paper towels and set them in the bottom of my Dopp bag. Stropping was easy. I wrapped my board strop in a towel and that seemed to work fine. I may invest in an inexpensive hanging travel strop. What are your experiences travelling with straights?

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've traveled with straights too. I took a hanging strop, and found it hard to find a place to hang it. If I had a leather string attached to the strop, I would have had more options for hanging it. I also took a couple of small squares of cloth, soaked in mineral oil, stored in a baggie. This was used to wipe the blades down after use. I've used this for trips up to two weeks, and could have used just one blade, but it's always good to have a spare.

3. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

On long trips I carry a little Boker 5/8ths and a Gillette New. My travel strop is a hanger that I made myself. It has no linen (I just use the suede side) and it has a lace attached to the swivel so that I can secure it to a tap. It rolls up into a tight package that fits snugly in my toilet bag. The old Gillette is there for situations where time is pressing, or when I just feel like using a DE. My other travel innovation is a Body Shop synthetic brush; while it's not my favourite brush it works quite nicely and dries with the flick of a wrist.

Best Regards

Graham

Karl G, Rusty blade, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I travel with an @Drygulch strop with a leather strap that I hang from a door lever. I have a nice leather case for the straight. It all goes into my Dopp kit and works great. [​IMG]

5. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I personally prefer shavettes when traveling.
    I've tried this Christmas to go with my straights instead...and have learned that I had the best idea to start with.

No stropping, no honing, and a replacement blade for dull Razors. Also no worries about abusing my strop or my straight getting abused in my travel case.
    Granted I like the shave a straight gives versus a shavette. But I can survive.

Karl G, Rusty blade, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thankfully I don’t have to travel much for my job any longer. When I travel for personal reasons; I use a motor home, which has all the comforts of home. I have a hanging strop and a brush that reside in the RV. I only have to decide which two razors I’ll drag along.

Karl G, Billyfergie, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  7. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I do like my straights when traveling also. Interesting comment about the sink setup... and I get that same mild anxiety.
    I found this Harley Davidson cigar case that I love for 2 razors. I just keep the cardboard insert in the middle slot.
    I leave the hanging strops at home and just use a cheap vintage paddle strop for travel... this Allegro.
    Love to hear/see what people are using.
    E4062D2C-8EA6-4B9C-A431-122C23CF519D.jpeg

Karl G, Billyfergie, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  8. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Now if I had a 5th wheel...I could see it. And I have dreams of this sort of thing. But a mobile home for my straight razor? SWMBO probably won't go for it.

Karl G, mrchick, Rusty blade and 2 others like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have had this setup a long time, but haven’t used it much. I tend to use my Feather or IBC most often when I am at work.

I have a cheap hanger I use. I hang it from the middle door hinge pin. Some are made so they stick up, otherwise I just drive the pin up a quarter inch or so. I keep the razors in silicon impregnated sleeves.

[​IMG]

The strop came from Roctraitor. You can find him on Reddit, or he has a store on Etsy. It is decent. Performance and price.

The sleeves I got at Superior Shave.

Karl G, Billyfergie, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

For a case, try a plastic toothbrush case. They fit well, and protect the razor.

Karl G, Billyfergie, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes, they do.;)

Karl G, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Shavette. All the fun, none of the issues.

PLANofMAN, Karl G, Deeter and 3 others like this.
  13. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

+1 for shavette. Feather SS.

14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

For a strop I’ve used Whipped Dog’s poor man strop. It’s got a “tail” on it that forms a loop that notches with the strop so you can fix it to any doorknob easily. ...and you can’t beat the price. :happy088:

15. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I have an old poor mans 7 days set, it is mussing a blade so its 6 days without honing in a luttle box.

An rvs knive and an old herold strop are also a handy solution.

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_2448.jpg If you can find them, the vintage double razor boxes are good. They're a little thicker than a toothbrush holder (but not much), and shorter. For a strop, a regular strop works for me, I lay it flat in a strop case or plastic sleve against a hard luggage case side for air travel, or just lay it in my car somewhere. The brush is a Tulip 1 or Tulip 2 in a ventilated pill bottle.

Cheers, Steve

Karl G, M14Shooter, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  17. A CUT ABOVE

A CUT ABOVE New Member

When I travel, it's my Feather SR folding. On one trip, I met a guy in the hotel lounge and we got on the subject of shaving. We both use straights and I asked him about taking strops with him. He told me to wait while he got his razor and strop. He came back, took out his razor and rolled up his sleeve. He proceeded to strop the razor on his forearm. He smiled, handed me the razor and told me to try shaving arm hair. Really popped the hair. He said, show me a strop with finer leather then your forearm? You never have to worry about leaving it at home. Been stropping that way for years.

jgreenepa, Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  18. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

I bought the poor man strop kit from WD years ago and got 2 of the cheap leather strops. I keep one hanging at home and the other is rolled up in my travel kit. Admittedly I’ve been more apt to grab the DE when on the road, but I’m trying to slow down and use the SRs more.

For $10 (less if you get an ugly one) the poor man’s strop or the table style strop are great cheap travel companions that you won’t cry over damaging or forgetting in a hotel room.

Karl G and Steve56 like this.