Truefitt & Hill

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Reformation Student, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Well, over Christmas, I became a T&H man. I had already purchased a tub of 1805 cream, which is the best cream I've used to date. Then for Christmas I received a bottle of 1805 after shave balm. It is the most moisturizing and soothing balm I've tried yet. I also received a bottle of Spanish Leather cologne, my absolute favorite scent.

My shaves are fantastic. As far as shaving is related, shaves since Christmas have been the best way to start the day. I truly feel like I could conquer the world after a T&H shave.

The best part is, while each product might be pricey, so little product is used for each shave that I will easily get between 8 and 12 months out of each so the cost per shave isn't all that bad. And the skin quality has improved as well. Both the cream and the balm moisturize so much that the cold winter hasn't yet dried out my face. But the best, best part of all this is that my wife loves the way my face feels now.

So, I guess I'm a T&H man for now. I have to remind myself that some of their customers were Winston Churchill and John Wayne, otherwise I might feel a bit less manly :ashamed001

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

T&H Seems perfectly manly to me, more specifically gentlemanly. Yes, I consider Winston Churchill and John Wayne gentlemen -wish we had more like them today.

3. Reformation Student

Amen to that.

4. puffulufogous

puffulufogous New Member

I also became a TH fan this winter. I purchased my brother and father a tub of cream and a matching AS each. Both the trafalgar and grafton are amazing scents. The cream performs as well as any other and the AS is by far the best I have tried. It moisturizes without any greasy feeling, and the smell lasts a long time. Long story short, I will not hesitate to buy some for myself once I use up some of my other creams/soaps.

5. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

And, the AOS cream in the tubs is one that you may enjoy trying as well. I have several T+H creams/ Aftershaves and the AOS Sandlewood and Lemon are fantastic.

6. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

I was given a T&H sample bag for Christmas. Everything I have tried is very good. As said before, a little go's a long way. I will be buying some T&H when I have used some other items up first.

7. Lavachild

Lavachild Active Member

My wife got me some T&H and I like it. DOn't know where the less manly part comes in.

IAN

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

i have only head great things about it. I am looking to buy a pack from then too choose my favorite scent. and maybe some other creams from the remaining T's:ashamed001

9. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

John Wayne pretended to be manly. He was draft-dodger who talked like an uber-patriot to compensate. It was a lucrative charade.

Now Winston Churchill, there was the real thing.

10. Reformation Student

Interesting. I did not know that about Wayne. I'll have to research it.

11. CSL

CSL Member

12. Reformation Student

Interesting read.Thanks for the article link. I'll leave this issue to the history books. My comment was more referring to the public persona of those individuals I mentioned. Since I wasn't alive at the time, I have no idea about their private feelings other than what I read.

But after reading that article, I feel as if I need to make a statement in defense of myself (for some odd reason). I am a "loud patriot" and have tried to enlist many, many times over the years always with the result of being denied due to asthma. I would hope nobody would ever consider me a hypocrite or a dodger because I've never served. I believe I would have been denied on medical reasons even during a time of draft.

That's as far political as I'm willing to go on this or any other thread in TSD. I never intended a political debate by posting about the "manliness" of some of T&H's past customers. My apologies to the moderators for starting this thread.

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Not a problem starting the thread - you couldn't have predicted where it would go.

Now, lets stop any further political/war talk so we don't have any arguments.

14. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

It's not a political debate, it's just interesting historical trivia. I love the twists and turns threads take.

Here's more John Wayne trivia: They named the airport near his ranch after him, and then he spent the rest of his life driving everyone crazy with complaints about the noise. (Airline pilot, used to fly in there a lot. The airport people were very diplomatic in their dealings with him. They wouldn't give me the phone, for example... :D)

15. Reformation Student

Typical celebrity attitude. :D

16. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Wow, how do you complain to an airport about noise? What are they supposed to do, have the pilots shut the engines off on approach and glide in?

17. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

haha that's pretty funny, a interesting thing is that the now discontinued Concord actually did something like this on take off to pass the sound tests as it was extremely loud.

but on topic now... i was wondering what you guys think of the different scents? They have descriptions on the site but they are pretty lame. So what do you guys think of the different scents that they offer?

18. Reformation Student

I've had sample colognes of most of their scents. I'm very picky on scents so it's hard for me to find something I really like. From what I've sampled, the 1805 is a very nice, light scent. But, by far, my all time favorite scent (an that includes from any mfgr) is T&H's Spanish Leather. Now, you'll ask about top notes, mid notes, bass notes, etc. Sorry, my nose isn't that refined, I just know what I like. If I were able to describe a perfect cologne for a gentleman, it would be Spanish Leather.

As an aside, I mentioned to T&H that I would love to see a Spanish Leather line of cream, aftershave balm and cologne, as they do with the 1805 scent. the CEO told me to keep checking as they are in the process of expanding the Spanish Leather product line.

Since each nose interprets scent a bit differently, I'd suggest that you spend the nominal fee, if you wish, to get a cologne sample pack. It contains small vials of most of their scents. It's a good way to choose.

19. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

On topic: I've liked every T&H flavor I've tried, especially Limes.

Off on our tangent: There oughta be a sticky about which famous historical figures used which products. Napoleon used Plisson brushes, for example.

20. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

George Washington used Caswell Massey soaps (so I'm told). I have to think that's because nothing better was available at the time. Let me tell you, there is now.