Trumpers Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by lamontqsanford, Mar 26, 2009.

1. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I am thinking of buying some Trumpers soap. I am eyeballing the Rose, Coconut or Lime. So lets hear the good, bad and ugly on this stuff. For a little history I love Tabac and Palmolive. I am just getting into MWF as well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. lamontqsanford

Geesh, tough crowd.

3. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I've never used or had any samples of the Trumper's, so I'm wanting to know too.

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'm not a fan of most of Trumper's stuff. Skinfood is the best thing I've tried, creams are terrible, and the colognes range from terrible to just OK all IMHO. I haven't tried the soaps, and since the rose and violet scents are the scents from Trumper's are the only ones that I care for, I have a similar interest. We just need someone to give an opinion.

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I find Trumper Rose to be an excellent soap. I haven't had it in a while but if I remember correctly, it has a powdery, rose scent. It's not as moisturizing as an almond but it's still better than most. The lather is very thick and almost heavy. Great stuff.

I didn't find the Limes to be moisturizing enough. I haven't used Coconut Oil.

As for the creams, I'm a big fan. Sandalwood is stellar. I think all their creams are very easily lathered. It's mostly about scent and/or allergic reactions. At $14 a tube from QED, they're worth it.

EDIT: I had to make some spelling corrections. Terrible.

6. lamontqsanford

Thanks guys, that is the info I am looking for. I have plenty of soaps and more coming (Thanks Telly;)). I find that I reach for soaps 95% of the time so I am always looking for them.

Telly, how do they compare to the Harris soaps you are sending me?

7. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Tracy, I consider the Harris soaps to be a step above. Harris soaps, at least the ones I sent you, still have tallow in them. Trumper stopped including tallow in their soaps. For French-milled (triple-milled) soaps, tallow makes a big difference. Look at Jim's compendium. Also, the Harris scents are more regal. They're subtle but still aromatic. The Trumper scents can be overpowering and too sweet.

8. lamontqsanford

Thanks Telly. I think I will hold off on the Trumpers for now. I am not a big fan of the sweet scents.

I can't wait to give the Harris soaps a try.

9. Will

Will Nevermind

+1

Harris Almond is the best scent of almond to hit my nose.

Trumper Violet smelled of wet dog. Well not really but I do not remember liking it at all.

10. MsBlackwolf

A good vendor for the Harris soaps plz?

11. lamontqsanford

Shaving essentials or West Coast Shaving if you want them sooner than later. If you can wait 7-10 days go with Paul at Connaught Shaving. Since the pound has lost some value vs the dollar he is the cheapest and shipping on a puck aint to shabby from across the pond.

All of these guys are great to deal with.

12. MsBlackwolf

TY, Tracy

13. lferg

lferg New Member

I started out with Trumpers. Lavender I think. I have since found the soap of the god's, Tabac of course. But I went through a rotation of glycerin soaps and now Trumpers and Tabac are the only two in my rotation. It lathers great smells great and the you can catch faint whiffs of the smell through out the day which I like. It is a great shave. I recommend it.

14. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Had to get a second opinion huh??? ;)

I don't have much to add. All that others have said I find true as well.

I had GFT Rose and lime soaps, I found both to be too powdery/floral scented for me. I have the coconut oil I got from Telly awhile back, and I have only used it a couple times.

The performance was good but not great. There are so many great soaps out there, these didn't do much for me and were sold/traded off.

15. lamontqsanford

I didn't need a 2nd opinion. You were off vacationing and I couldn't get into my other shrink so I had to type this so people would talk me out of it:happy102

plus your PM to me about this was deleted and I couldn't remember if we had talked about Trumpers, Taylors or T&H

16. curiousity

curiousity New Member

I'm using Trumper's Coconut Oil exclusively right now. This happened after discovering that I'm allergic to anything with the name mint or pepper in it. I'm sure there will be more, but I decided to just use the Coconut Oil soap with no aftershave for a while and then slowly add things. From there I've discovered that I have very sensitive skin...

I've found the coconut oil soap to be extremely nice. The smell isn't too sweet like mentioned above for some of the other scents. It is very hydrating. It feels like I don't have to use an aftershave lotion. It is my favorite soap.

The one thing I have noticed is that it definitely doesn't produce as much lather as Tabac. But I get a very good two passes with enough for touch ups. (I'm face lathering.)

Quite frankly, I think that this will be my go to soap for a long time. Of course I have quite a few soaps due to a soap AD run a while ago. I know what my brother is getting for his birthday! :D

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I actually haven't tried soaps from any of the three Ts. I have liked too many of the less expensive ones to justify the price. Some day I would love to try the lime though. I should post a WTT for my AOS lemon.

18. ryan0626

ryan0626 New Member

As far as the Trumper line is concerned, I recently purchased the Rose wooden bowl/soap. As far as shave quality is concerned, it performed very well. I'm a bit biased as I didn't fully appreciate the actual rose scent, however. I prefer TOBS, but then again that is just personal bias. A good soap, definitely pick it up if you're interested.