Truth about BP Oil Slick

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by geogaga, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geogaga

geogaga Member

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

That truly is a heart wrenching video that shows the environmental disaster that is affecting the Gulf States, and some of the fine members of this board.

Remember, we are a forum dedicated to wetshaving, kinda like Cheers, a place I like to go to and get away from the days events for a while and everybody knows my name.

So lets keep the discussion on topic, keep the politics out of it, and help me get a tub of Wheat Iced SubZero. :)

3. geogaga

geogaga Member

I thought that "Everything else" forum was supposed to be a place for everything else. Sorry if it's not.

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

It is Alexey, just not politics.

That is one of those subjects like religion where there are no winners, just a lot of finger pointing, name calling, and hard feelings at the end of the day.

5. geogaga

geogaga Member

It was not about the politics, but about the nature mostly. Ahh, whatta hell. I just was impressed with what this slick looked like :(

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The topic tends to run towards politics.

Bill was just trying to make sure everyone understands this thread is not open to the political side of this topic.

As long as the conversation remains about the disaster, and not about who's responsible everything is fine.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hey, if one of the perks of being a Mod is getting free ISZ Wheat Cream I gotta get in on this deal! :D

8. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

You are correct Alexey, the video is non-political in nature and very moving, but the topic here in the U.S. is very politically charged.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nah, it's a perk of being Bill. Besides, it's not free exactly.

10. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

very informative and revealing. we know we aren't going to see any footage like that in the mainstream media.

we all know instinctively that the little pop-shots we see on the news is not anything near the worst of the worst, yet the media will continue to show the world "it's not so bad".

we went to Dauphin Island last week, at the mouth of Mobile Bay, where I've gone to every year for the last 33 years, while visiting grandparents and the rest of my aunts and uncles. It didn't look bad out there, there's been some oil and tar balls there, but so far it hasn't been hit hard, but it won't last. I was hesitant to let the kids wade out in the water any, we didn't even wear swimsuits when we went this year, just went to look, but the kids wanted to walk in the water some, including my nephew, who had never been to a beach until now - he's 7. We decided that it was either now, or in 20 years when it's finally safe again, so we let them wade out a bit. Didn't smell oil like we did when we drove through Gulfport, MS, so I felt okay about it, though not 100%. But, like I said, I'll be very surprised if it's still clear next year.

At the big Mobile Flea Market, the had some shirts for sale I almost bought. Instead of Calvin peeing on Ford/Chevy/sports team/whatever, had an oil-covered pelican peeing oil on a BP sign, pretty much the general consensus in the area. Saw very few vehicles pumping gas at BP stations, while a Chevron or Shell across the street would have people lined up.

Very sad. "Years" of cleanup is obviously a best-case scenario.

11. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

when it comes to money everything is expendable. that is the type of world we live in. large corporations have so much wealth and power they do what ever they want. hopefully this will make us realize that we need to change our dependency on oil. they had electric cars in the early 1900s and the oil companies suppressed the technology. its up to the consumer to spend his money wisely. the consumer has the power to make a change. stop buying those plastic razors and cartridges and start DE SAVING!

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

it's not that easy or simple. I'm from south Louisiana- oil and seafood are the two main sources of income. This is the last I'll say about it here, but like Homer Simpson's beer, the oil industry is the source of and the solution to all life's problems, at least for the people that live down there. Remove the industry and you remove their livelihood. It's like telling midwestern farmers they can't grow corn anymore, or New England fishermen that they can't fish.

13. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

...or Pacific Northwesterners/Canadians that logging is out.

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

don't tell me that you're a lumberjack and that's okay...

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:happy097

He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch,
    he goes to the lavatory.
    On Wednesdays he goes shoppin'
    and has buttered scones for tea.

[​IMG]

16. sffone

sffone Member

I'm a photo-journalist from south Louisiana who has spent, and continues to spend, a lot of time along the coastal regions of our state. The amount of damage that has been done is almost beyond human comprehension. And as bad as the public may think the situation is, the reality is much worse. I am convinced that the coastal environment will never fully recover, at least not for another generation. I pray that this disaster will serve as a wake-up call for all Americans to be better custodians of our planet.

17. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I know exactly what you mean when you say that you need the oil companies for your lively hood. but that's the dependency that they have created. its up to us and to break them. and we can all start by buying better more efficient cars. look at the big us car manufacturers and the change they have made, they all now offer cars that get great mileage.

18. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

thought provoking at least

I watched the video, but I still don't quite understand what truth it is that I am being shown that I wasn't told about before. Did anyone else pick up on it?

19. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

well, I can honestly say I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition....

and Lee, the "truth" being shown is unedited*, uncensored, raw footage, not the selective shots that mainstream media is showing.
    (*unedited to say that images weren't taken out that weren't deemed fit for average citizen consumption)

**I keep typing, and keep getting off course. suffice it to say, those of us who know better, know that what we're being fed by mainstream media is not fully accurate, and while the video doesn't really surprise most of us of how bad it is, it just shows how little we're being "allowed" to know

20. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

that's alright, nobody does :o

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.