Trying out a ZINN

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wchnu, Dec 14, 2018.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A great member here ask meto try out a Zinn he had and see how it compared to other razors. (I have not asked to use his name so will not until he is ok with it) I am all over that of course. From what I can hunt up it is a early 1900 GEM. It still has the Z on the case and on the razor but does not say Zinn anywhere. This is also the first set that I have seen that did not have the handle in with the head. This one has the wood tear drop handle. Maybe if it had the metal handle it would have fit in the case inside the head. Someone smarter then me will have to clear that one up. I love the feel of this handle. It feels as good as the one that @Jayaruh made for me. First shave will be in the morning but until then here are a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Wow, that is an interesting razor. Looking forward to your review.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

Wow! That looks like some serious workmanship ! Look forward to a shave video !

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

4. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

I am glad it arrived safely. I found it to be quite an assertive razor are you going to use a standard gem blade or a wedge?

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I used a Treet to start with. I will use a wedge blade next.

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good looking razor, Fuzzy. They really new how to build them back in the day. Enjoy. Zinn is Pewter (Tin) in German. I wonder if that has anything to do with this, even though it was made in USA?

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

First shave was yesterday morning. I really enjoyed this shave. This razor is not super aggressive feeling but you can tell there is a blade there for sure. The handle is a great size and the razor is very easy to control. I am not the best at reviews so I will let the video tell the story. I used VDH Select soap with a VDH brush. Both worked very good. Next up I will use a Wedge blade in it and see how that shave feels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

In this case the Zinn is the last name of a a group of folks that were making razors.I am not the best at doing research and such. It seems they had something to do with the early years of GEM. The Z was first used in 1903 looks like. I have the Waits thingie but things are pretty hectic and I have not had time to properly dig through it.

Primotenore likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very cool razor set..

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Is this the razor that does revisionist history?

(I kid...a little)

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That one went over this country boys head LOL.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sunday morning shave with the GEM and a GEM wedge blade was just awesome. I really feel a connection with a Wedge in here. The shave was smooth and very hi class. I am still loving this long wooden handle. I have one that is very close to the original that was made by @Jayaruh the feels as good on my 1890ish Kampfe. This razor has much the same feel to it. A very hi class shave indeed.

[​IMG]

As promised a video too...

brit likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I appreciate the info, Fuzzy.

14. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

I am guessing it was made about the same time as the "new gem" 1904 to 1908. the trade dressing is very similar.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think it was right before the New Gem. I am not really sure. These razors all shave a lot alike. Really a solid solid design. Simply a pleasure to use them I am very glad you let me have a round with this one.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Great Williams Wednesday shave with this one. I used a wedge again today on a 3 day growth. Fantastic shave. The vintage Williams is a treat with the big ole boar brush. My thought on this razor are like my thoughts on all the vintage tools. Just beautiful well built awesome shaving machines. This one is much more ornate then any of the ones that I own. It is a dream to use and veddy easy to boot. Proper angle and pressure is all it takes as we all know. Thanks to @Joewa for letting me run this one around the block a few times.

[​IMG]

And finally the video....

Frijolero likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............