Trying out something new w/ creams from a tub

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Baloosh, May 20, 2007.

1. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I've always used a small putty/butter knife to scoop out some cream from my collection of cream tubs, and most of them are thick enough so that there's quite a bit left after giving the knife a single hard shake to SPLAT the cream into my bowl.

Up until about a week ago I've just been rinsing off the knife under the tap, and wiping the knife dry to put away until I use it again. Lately I've been scraping off that last bit of cream from the knife (instead of rinsing it down the drain) and using it as a pre-shave of sorts.

Scoop up some cream (from a tub) and FLICK it into my lather bowl
    Wipe off the remaining bit of cream with my finger, set the putty knife aside
    Commence spreading the bit of cream around my beard area... (you'd be surprised how much you can spread once your wet face starts mixing with even that tiny bit of cream)
    THEN rinse off the putty knife and dry/store it away
    Commence mixing up/making my lather per normal, while the bit of cream sits on my face and begins to work its magic

It's sort of a pre-shave kind of thing -- similar to the proto-lather tip from Scotto over at TOP. So far, it's made that first pass absolutely smoother than the smoothiest smoothie that ever smoothed... or something.

All I know is, I get the full-force scent of whatever cream I'm using (and although this only works for tub creams, not tubes) it's a little way for me to "personalize" my daily shave. Plus I don't waste that bit of cream that was previously washed away!

Give it a try next time -- if you're the type to use creams, and you're the type to scoop some out with a stick/knife/spoon/whatever. I think you'll like it.

For you "poke and swirl" duders.... Not much I can do for ya guys... ;)

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Umm, why do you use a knife? And do you have only one or do you suffer from SKAD? :rofl

3. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I don't really know why I started using a knife, other than it seemed more "hygienic" to use something other than my finger. :p

Yeah I only use one knife, although that could be a cool new AD to start, like you said. :eek:

4. Will

Will Nevermind

DUDE! Just wash you hands :rofl

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I shall!

Normally, I will dip the brush in the tub (after a good shake), but I like the idea of getting some cream on the face before going to lather.

Excellent Idea Duder :happy088

6. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Huh... I guess I never made the connection....

[/Mr. Obvious]

;)

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Heaven's no, I would never do that!. A simple 1/2 teaspoon works for me. I''m not too picky about amount. I have enough cream for 3 years anyway. :D Plastic ice cream sampler spoons work great if you want a throw away option.

For the put some cream on as a preshave, I am a fan of doing that. I was finding that the second pass was better than the first. A big part was the extra time the lather was sitting on my face with some added water to slick it up. I then put a normal layer of lather on top of it.

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

How is that going to reduce your "carbon-footprint"? ;) :D

9. Will

Will Nevermind

Reminds me of one of my favorite Black Flag songs "Slip it in"

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I've been doing this same thing for a while now.
    KMF unscented cream rubbed in with my fingers as a PreLather
    keeps everything lubed up while my scuttle and brush warms up.
    Then when you take the loaded brush to your face
    lather just explodes all over the room.

11. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Yep... I've noticed your KMF Unscented use in your SOS posts. Glad it's working out for you, and it's the same idea, like you said.

It definitely helps make the first pass lather chock full of creamy goodness!

12. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Duder:
    Try the same idea with your soaps.
    Add a little hot water to the soap for a minute or 2 and
    pour the hot soapy water into your lather bowl (if you use one).
    Load your brush with soap and then rub your fingers on top of the melty soap
    and take your fingers to your face.
    Rub it in real good for some PreLather.

13. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Sweet idea, mang. I'll have to try that with my next soap I use. (I'm attempting to use up some of my creams, since the soaps tend to have a much longer shelf life than creams... I've got enough stuffs to last a few lifetimes :: )

14. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I was thinking of switching to using a butter knife or similar device to transfer cream to my mug, because I don't know how to wash my hands. :p This is a really good idea, when I use a glycerine soap I often take the watery soapiness from the pour-off of the soaking water and smear it on my stubble.

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It's not! I just collect and hang on to them from testing Baskin Robbins or Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream. Blame it on them! :D

16. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I also use my finger to scoop cream from a tub. yes it's clean!!!! :D

Raf

17. icemncmth

icemncmth New Member

With my creams in a tub I just dab my brush tips into the cream...

Then I have my bowl sitting on an electric candle warmer with a little water
    in the bowl...

I take a shower and by the time I am done the bowl and water in it is hot..

Now I take my brush and work up the lather..

A nice hot lather on the face feels great!

18. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Cool idea. Thanks.

19. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

I apply the cream directly on my face, then work up my lather with the brush. Works great everytime, plus it keeps me from wasting shaving cream.

St. Croix

20. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Thanks to Charles Roberts, I got in the habit of using these wooden popsicle sticks. The Hydrolast paste tubs are small and you need something to dip in to it with and makes it easy to apply the paste to the "breech" when you method shave. They proved to be quite handy with cream tubs as well so I keep them around.