Trying to identify this straight razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Abhishek Sarin, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Abhishek Sarin

Abhishek Sarin New Member

Last week, I was out in this antiques/handicrafts/vintage store in India, where I happened to find this old straight edge razor in what I presume is its original box.
    The marking on the blade has a C/cross/reverse C, with the words on the hilt as:

Joseph Elliot's
    Best Silver Steel
    Hand Forged

IMG_20211228_124845587_HDR.jpg IMG_20211228_124841100.jpg

I'm trying to get an exact decade/model name/value if possible. I've found something called the McKinely Tariffs that could've helped with dating the blade since it would've had to mention the place of manufacture, but I doubt that would be applicable here since a lot of Englishmen were already present in India for, well, a considerable amount of time.

Any inputs would be appreciated, and I'd love to eventually restore this beauty so tips for that too would be great!

2. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Some info from a search....

Vintage Straight Razors .com has had several of Joseph Elliot's blades appear for sale. They ranged in size from 5/8 to 6/8, usually in a wedge style grind. From one of the descriptions:

Joseph Elliot was active between 1821-1854. Trademark: C reversed and C, with cross between. Based in Sheffield England. Famous for making quality blades.

Restoration out of my realm at the moment, but I'd think first is to get oxidation stopped. Second...is to make sure the oxidation near the bevel area isn't going to be a road block to the blade holding a shaving edge.

Karl G likes this.