TSD Hacked

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Primotenore, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Am I the only one who noticed last evening that the TSD site was hacked by some Nigerian Web Site???
    Mods? :signs002:
    I strongly urge TSD to adopt an encrypted "Https" site.

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If true, that is really bad news. What did you see that tipped you off to it?

Karl G likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    When I pressed the "New Posts" button, I was completed redirected to a different web page that gloated: "You have just been hacked by such and such..." I don't recall the exact name. I immediately quit, restarted my computer and ran a malware program.
    Not good---and all unencrypted web sites are vulnerable. This includes TSD.

Karl G and Jim99 like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, no problems on my phone so far. However, some pictures are not appearing and the biggest member trolling our site is baidu. That's a bot out of China. Not sure what that's about.

Karl G likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My pictures on SOTD page disappeared since yesterday. I wonder if that is related.

Karl G and Jim99 like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's what happened to mine in the SR SOTD!

Karl G likes this.
  7. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    We were hacked by a nigerian group, claiming that the lack of beards offended them for religious reasons.

One of our addons was penetrated allowing the hacker access to the admin panel of the software, in this case an https would not have prevented a software vulnerability from being exploited.

For the repair, we restored from a backup roughly 24 hours old, so there would be some posts, pics etc that unfortunately had to be lost in my attempt to get the website up as quickly as possible.

wristwatchb, Keithmax, BamaT and 10 others like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thank you, Sparky!

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

So, let me get this straight. This site was hacked because shaving offended someone?

Karl G and gorgo2 like this.
  10. sparky5693

Administrator
    Supposedly... but honestly, who knows.

Bama Samurai and Karl G like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Thank you

Karl G likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, they even have a Facebook page telling about who and how many sites they hack.

Karl G likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Hey, The Den just got hacked again, just now in fact. went to another post and there it was. Had to return here to post this.

Karl G likes this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I noticed the problem this morning on my desktop. But I can get the TSD just fine on my phone.

Karl G likes this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

possibly of additional interest: I still cannot reach TSD on my desktop, now nothing comes up. Also in terms of my phone, I can reach it just fine using 4G, but not using Wi-Fi. via Wi-Fi nothing comes up.

Karl G likes this.
  16. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

I am redirected to the hackers page each time I try to enter directly to the TSD site using iPad or iPhone - using Safari. I can only enter the TSD site, hence this post - via logging into Tapatalk first.

I have not tried my desktop as I am traveling.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I wonder if it was the tapatall add on that was used to gain access to the site.

Karl G likes this.
  18. OK, I'm just now able to access the site again via the mobile site. I tried a few minutes ago and was still getting the hacked page. Haven't tried from my desktop yet.

Karl G likes this.
  19. sparky5693

Administrator
    That would be because we were just hit a second time. I am in the process of tightening up security to prevent this from reoccurring, but that is still in progress.

BamaT, RyX, battle.munky and 6 others like this.
  20. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

It got my immediate attention this morning!! Kudos to our highly paid IT team for getting us up and running again!!

Douglas Carey, lloydrm, BamaT and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.