CANCELLED - TSD Mug Project - THE REVIVAL

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by S Barnhardt, Oct 20, 2019.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Not sure if I should post this or not...

The shave den has had a Zazzle page for...well...ever. The Coffee mugs they have are generic, but they have many options to choose from, and the logo is the "old" (better, imo) shave den logo that they changed about 10 years ago. They aren't artisan made, etc. but they are cheap.

Just putting that out there as an option as well.

https://www.zazzle.com/s/shave+den

They also have the TSD menthol users group mugs.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Queen of Blades, Enrico, brit and 4 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I like that logo better myself also. Plus there's a discount available with a code.

3. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Did not know this! Definitely cheaper! In line with the one on Amazon I was speaking about.

Is this an "official" TSD page where @Queen of Blades is in control of it and gets the profit from sales on it?

4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    As far as I'm aware, it's official. No idea on the profits.

Enrico, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Ok that's fun ..... I'll be playing with that for a while. :D

:eatdrink013:

RyX, S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

:D

S Barnhardt likes this.
  7. S Barnhardt

As I mentioned earlier, I've been talking to a local-to-me potter about the possibility of having her make some mugs. She has responded telling me she can, and would, make some for us. It would entail having to have a stamp made of the graphic/logo we wanted on the mug which would cost $20 to have made. Better than the $50 set up fee the other place wanted. I wonder if that's what they were going to do and had marked it up, but that's for another discussion. Then she would make the mugs for $15 each. I wouldn't see us being able to choose from the number of styles and colors Sunset had however. She did say she had a number of different glazes so there would be "some" degree of choice. I don't think there would be a shipping charge "to me" for what she made. She's roughly 30 minutes away from where I live and teaches even closer. But.... There's always a but isn't there? There would still be a cost to ship the mug to you and I see no way of doing that any cheaper than what I've said earlier. If I used USPS Flat Rate shipping I could use their boxes, but would still need some packing/cushioning material and tape and have to pay the postage. The cost for a medium USPS Flat Rate shipment is right now $14.35 using their box. Regular postage for a box to ship this would be $14-$20 depending on the weight and still have to buy the box, etc. So you see why I say USPS Flat Rate. So, at a minimum our cost from this person would be $29.35 per mug with nothing included to donate to TSD. I'd suggest, should we go this route, adding an amount to the total as a donation to TSD, or chipping in an extra amount to purchase a couple cups for the raffle.

This person, if she did them, would produce them as her time allowed between her teaching and family duties. Her term to me was "over a few weeks" to come up with a number of items. I don't know how/if she would be about doing and shipping them over a course of time.

In an effort to be able to give you an example of this person's work, she has sent me some pictures of some she's made, etc.

This is one she made for a close-by historical old mining village.
    connie 1.jpg

These were some she said she made for the Bill Monroe Museum in Kentucky.
    For those that don't know who Bill Monroe is, he's an old time acoustic bluegrass/country musician.
    connie 2 cropped.jpg

These some she made as one of the top level prizes for a local high school fundraising golf tournament with the school mascot as the logo.
    connie 3.jpg

These, as are Sunset's mugs, are hand thrown pieces of pottery. These are done by an individual artist as a sideline to her regular job as a teacher as opposed to a number of potters as with Sunset. As with any handmade item, there will be variations and/or imperfections possible.

We can get something like this for the prices I've given you! Or you can get a cheaper, mass produced, probably imported, off-the-shelf cup.

The question then is this! Do you even want a TSD mug? If you do, do you want something where price is the main deciding factor?

You/We can get off the shelf mass produced mugs for $16ish or handmade for $30, or $35ish if a TSD donation is included, or what was posted that I don't have in front of me right now from Sunset.

Let me know where everyone is with this? I want to know if there is enough interest on here??

Thanks!!

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I went onto the UPS website and "estimated" shipping costs to UPS these things. Depending on a person's location, it could run from $12 plus for literally the nest town to me to right at $43 from me to Honolulu, HI.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy088: I'm interested in the handmade.

:eatdrink013:

brit, S Barnhardt, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  9. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I second the Hand Made.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

S Barnhardt, Enrico and RyX like this.
  10. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Still interested. Handmade is fine. I like the idea that I would have options to choose from.

- Ken

RyX and S Barnhardt like this.
  11. S Barnhardt

Not saying you're wrong, but just to clarify your comment......When you say "options" to choose from, what exactly do you mean?

12. S Barnhardt

A note about the cost of these mugs from the local potter. The $15 is for the mug only. All you would be paying would be the cost of the mug itself and the cost of the shipping. I will be covering the cost of the stamp myself. View it as an effort at making this as cheap as I can. I was also thinking toward having one made and post pics so people could see a better example of what they stood to get. That way, there is no cost if no one buys.

While I'm at this juncture of talking about the price to the recipient, part of this idea has always been to somehow do it so that the Queen benefit in her quest of financing the operation of this thing called The Shave Den. How would you suggest we go about doing that? Do we add an amount, to be determined, to the price of each mug and forward that amount to her on a periodic basis? Or do we come up with an actual mug or two, or more to actually donate to the raffle? If we did actual donation of a cup, how would we then handle donation of funds to handle the purchase of these donation mugs? My thought would be to add an agreed upon amount to the price of the cup to be then forwarded to her. I could, if you folks trusted me enough to do so, accumulate these funds and handle the forwarding. It wouldn't be hard to verify this if anyone was interested.

:signs002:

RyX and cliffb599 like this.
  13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If you were going to donate mugs, I could just add them to one of TSD's raffles.

14. S Barnhardt

What works best for you? Cash donations or actual, physical mugs either of which would be funded by an amount ponied up by those purchasing a mug. At least for this part of any donation.

RyX likes this.
  15. kjbarth

kjbarth Well-Known Member

Well, maybe I mis-read your latest comment but I understood it to mean that the latest potter would allow for us to choose from multiple designs/stamps/colors/glazes etc. those are options.

- Ken

RyX likes this.
  16. S Barnhardt

Not a choice of stamps. Those shown in the pictures are of some mugs she has made for other clients. We would have one stamp available. Designs?? There might be some leeway, but if there is, it won't be the number of choices the other one did, nor the variety of colors. Does that answer your question? The first one didn't allow for individual custom ordering. They had a minimum order quantity of 24, all 24 being the same style and color. This new potter will allow some small degree of customization, in that a choice of a color maybe in a broad sense, but not specific shades. A general shape possibly, but not a specific style. ???

RyX and cliffb599 like this.
  17. S Barnhardt

Really thought there would be more interest in this than I've seen so far!

Figured folks who spend a week, or two's, worth of groceries on shaving "stuff" would jump at a chance to get a nice mug and help with TSD operation at the same time.

What is the hold up and/or reservation with this?

Honest question! Honest answers wanted!

:thanks:

brit and RyX like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I can remember the last time I spent $60 on a razor. I cannot, for the life of me, remember when I've ever spent $60 on a coffee mug.

Edit: and I arguably love coffee more than shaving.

brit, RyX, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  19. S Barnhardt

You are right, although I've never spent that much on a razor.

Were we talking solely about a coffee cup, per se, I too would be thinking along the lines you are about how much to spend on a coffee cup. "But", I would ask that you consider a thing or two! One, while it is a "coffee cup", I would submit that the $60 you quote is more than "just" a coffee cup. Built into that amount, which BTW was an estimate on the high end of the possible range. also was a donation, or donations, to TSD for the support of the costs of the forum by either cash donation or donation of items for a later fundraising raffle. Part of this particular cost "was", and still would be with Sunset, partially driven by their minimum purchase requirement coupled with their 10% +/- policy on when an order is considered complete. There was no way to do it and still not have to come back later with an "Oh! The price is going to be higher" thing.

At this stage of the game, I'm ready to say Sunset is out of the picture for serious consideration.

With this other potter, I am able to offer a similar item with a better cost to the purchaser. This one has no minimum and is local so that I can see me being able to personally handle receipt of the items from her eliminating the shipping to us cost. Plus the artwork set up charge is less. $35 at present vs $50 from Sunset. I'm prepared to foot the bill for that part of it. Her per item costs, again at the present time, is $15 per cup/mug with the logo. Then the cost to ship it, say to you assuming you "are" in the US, would be $17 using a USPS Flat Rate box and buying packing material other than boxes., which is actually cheaper than paying postage using non-USPS boxes which would have to be bought. This would put a cup in the hands of the purchaser for $32 with no consideration of a donation to TSD. How much of a donation amount would you be willing to add to your price if you chose to buy one at this price point?

Or do you think this point is "still" too high??

:signs002:

brit, cliffb599 and RyX like this.
  20. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Well for me this is where I stand on this opportunity.
    I wouldn’t have an issue with the $32.00 Mug. I would also make it an even $50.00 so some of the funds would go towards the TSD.
    All the great people that I have met or will meet on the TSD for me is priceless.
    I would Hate to miss an Opportunity to have a small pice of Memorabilia and give a little Back to this great Form.
    ( TSD )

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk