Tuckaways, Norfolks, Miladys Oh My!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rodd, Sep 5, 2008.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I am entirely obsessed wit the "Tuckaway family" of razors, and I thought I would share some information I have collected for those interested. If you aren't interested in the details below, feel free to just look at the pictures. ;)
    Most images are links to a larger version.

[​IMG]

This is the actual Tuckaway set. It is a New Improved, so the blade is held in place by the posts. These are the only ones that are actually Tuckaways, and the top inside of the case actually has "Tuckaway" printed on it. The handles on my 3 have different things printed on them. The silver one just has Pat. Jan 13 1920, while both of the gold ones say Pat Jan 13 1920 USA. The heads all have the Gillette diamond on one side and USA on the other. The blade case is the common "Zippo" style that open so you can see one edge of the blade.
    They were available in Silver and Gold. This silver one is in rough shape, but it is just a place holder for now.

[​IMG]

This is a NEW Norfolk with Tuckaway handle. The case is identical except that the "Tuckaway" is gone from the top inside. The head is a New head, with a flat bottom. This particular one was made in Canada. The Canadian ones have printed on the handles "Patented 1920" and the head has the diamond Gillette logo, and "Made in Canada" On my USA one, (just the razor) the handle reads "Pat Jan 13 1920 USA - Other patents pending" and the head has the Gillette Diamond logo and "Made in USA" The blade cases are engraved and open so that you can see the entire blade. I have not yet seen one of these in Silver, but that does not mean they were not available. I just still need one. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the NEW Norfolk with Bar handle. The handle is like the common bar handle NEW, but shorter. These cases are the same as the above, with one minor exception on the gold one. This gold case has a different latch than I have ever seen before. It has a switch that locks/opens the case, rather than the push button. I have not been able to find another yet, but I think it is actually more secure. I assumed it was a Norfolk w/ Bar handle thing, but my silver one is the other way. There is no print on the handles. The heads read "Made in USA" have the diamond logo, Patent numbers and reissue patent numbers. The blade cases on these two are actually different. The gold one is a C shape, that you just slide blades out of, while the silver one opens like the Norfolk with Tuckaway handle. I am not sure if this was a mid run change, or if it was a silver/gold thing, any info would be appreciated.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is a Milady Decolletee. These were offered in New Improved, and NEW generations. The only one I currently have is a NEW. They were available in three case colors, Jade (green), Natural (white/gray), and this Orange. They have the Tuckaway style handle, and the "Zippo style" blade case.
    The handle on the NEW style is printed ""Pat Jan 13 1920 USA - Other patents pending""

There are still a lot more variations I am looking for. For example, the Chatsworth, which is basically a Tuckaway with a pinstripe engraved case and blade case, and each of the Milady case sets. There are also cases that just have a different design on the outside. So far all of mine have the same common link design. I am always looking for sets with minor changes, like the latch on the one above, or made in a different country, or different blade cases etc. If anyone has any more info on anything from this family I would love to hear more.

[​IMG]

2. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I love that Milady Decolletee! :happy088

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Sweet collection there, bro! :happy088

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I just wanted to add, that I almost had a replacement Silver Tuckaway, that I have been watching for a week now, but SOMEONE sniped me. :mad: See for yourself... If I ever find that guy.. ;) Maybe I should have waited a day to post this... congratulations, that is a very nice razor. Shoot me a PM if you ever decide to part with it.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Bad monkey! ::sesel

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Sorry about that, rodd! :ashamed001 For some reason, I thought you might be bidding on that one also. Give me a little forgiveness since it is my first one? :signs120

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Now, you stay out of this! :rolleyes005

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I was happy to see it was going to a good home. I will get the next one. ;) Enjoy, and let me know if you somehow hate it. ;)

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :p

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I had already set my snipe ealier in the day, and when I read this part of your post, " This silver one is in rough shape, but it is just a place holder for now", I thought, "Uh-oh, we're going to clash on this one". But, honestly, I have been trying for a Tuckaway for a while, and have been getting outbid -- so I set my snipe pretty high on this one.

11. MaxP

MaxP Member

A very nice collection!

12. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

I found a Tuckaway in an antique store, in really nice condition, and I LOVE it, it's my go to razor now. The case is in good shape, the velvet is pretty worn, but the razor is NICE! :) I'm glad to see there is another Tuckaway fan here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Very nice collection you have there Rodd! Incredible. I'm glad you were able to come up with another NEW Norfolk, complete with a proper blade case even!!

14. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

pure awesomeness rodd :D

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

GRRRRR So, I tried some sniping software for the first time ever, and it never submitted my bid! My computer went to sleep, I assumed the software would wake it. Anyway, here is an example of a different design on a case. Not in great condition, but you don't see them often. Someone got away with this razor for $9.99. GRRRRRR! :angry019
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    another one, I had a snipe set for $37 on this one, but it was not high enough
    [​IMG]

16. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I think Achim won that one.

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Now here's a Tuckaway for you!

CLICK ME

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

19. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat