Tuggy straights... Getting discouraged

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by SterFry, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Given your long and successful experience with shavettes the most likely reason is the razors are not sharp enough. I prefer my razors very sharp and find that a high grit synthetic edge gives me sharper edges than natural stones. I finish my razors on a either 16k Shapton Glass or Gokyumo 20k. I follow with either diamond pastes or CrOx followed with FeO3. I have also shaved with some razors honed with film that had wickedly sharp edges.

Yes it is possible to get a straight razor as sharp as shavette or DE blade. The feel is different due to the thickness, so thinner DE and Shavettte blades feel sharper. If your razor is tugging then clearly it is not sharp enough for your beard.

Primotenore, Karl G and SterFry like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You have a PM

look up, to the right side, see where it says "Inbox" open that you will find a Convo with all the info to get that Torrey in my hands

Karl G and SterFry like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've been pretty much in the exact same situation as you, for 20 years or so. I have coarse wiry hair, and somewhat sensitive skin. I keep my two straight razors in shave ready condition, loaned them out several times to other wet shavers (who have had zero issues with them), and keep them razor sharp.

The conclusion I've drawn, rightly or wrongly, is that I don't get along with full hollow blades. They flex too much. I think I would get on just fine with a half hollow or wedge bladed straight. At this time, I'm pretty much 100% shaving with shavettes these days. Specifically, the Tedalus, which is annoying, because it was specifically designed to be as close to an actual straight razor as humanly possible, and it shaves great with any blade I feed it, DE, Injector or Artist Club.

I'm going to break out my straight razors today and give them another go. Maybe I'm not stretching my skin enough. You've gotten a lot of good advice from the other members here, and maybe one of their suggestions will be the *aha* eureka moment for you.

Edit: the shave went as expected. Tuggy. When I lowered the spine enough to stop the tugging, I stopped getting clean cuts. Maybe the forum hive mind is right, and I need to get diamond pasted balsa strops or something to take the edges to 'the next level.' Or maybe I'm right and I need to switch to wedge and quarter or half hollow grinds. *shrug*

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    snuff, Zykris, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have had a similar issue. My chin hair is very wiry and I learned two things:
    1) Razor MUST have a fantastic edge
    2) Start your stroke with a bit of momentum, aka movement. If you hesitate, your blade will grab.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    snuff, PLANofMAN, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Perhaps the best advice that can be given to a newbie.
    I still have the small scare from my early days with the straight.
    I set the blade on my cheek, it grabbed, I bled.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Have any of you guys tried a well honed Wedge, Near Wedge, or Quarter Hollow?

7. Primotenore

Article Team
    I haven’t. Is there a noticeable difference?

Karl G likes this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Sure, 1/4 hollow and heavier, but not true wedge yet, though very close.

Zykris likes this.
  9. Keithmax

In my search for the 'perfect' straight I tried all different kinds of grinds and also did some non-scientific test of sharpness. The whiskers on my chin and upper lip and the toughest and how easily I plow through them ATG is my sharpness test.

Here are my conclusions, i.e. opinions. There is no difference in sharpness but there is a big difference in perceived sharpness. The more hollow the grind the sharper the blade felt even if they shaved my tough ATG with the same ease. This is why there is the perception that DE and SE blades are sharper, I doubt the are ground at high grits or stropped they way we baby our straights.

If the your beard is tough thinly ground blades will flex, and that is bad. I had to sell two blades that were just thin for me because they would flex when I shave. The problem I had was on bigger thinly ground blades. I assume that a smaller thin blade would flex less.

Different razors do better on different stones but for pure sharpness I personally get better results on high grit synthetics followed by high grit pastes. It also could be that I have not tried many naturals and that my honing skills are medium at best.

If you have a tough beard my recommendation is a 'laser' sharp edge on half to 3/4 quarter hollow. Wedge blades have to be held so close the skin when you shave some times they skip.

Zykris, Karl G, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    Great info, Keith.

Karl G, SterFry and Keithmax like this.
  11. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

I also notice that my goatee area is where razors most struggle. Thank you for an excellent response. The Torrey I sent out is between half and quarter hollow and is a 5/8. Thank you for an excellent post.

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have not, with the exception of a Rolls Razor fairly early on in my shave journey. I consider those to be about half hollow.

I suppose I could get out a vintage plane blade and see how that shaves.

Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  13. SterFry

Update: my pasted balsa strop arrived. I took my Argus honed by Doc and did 5 laps on the green and 5 on the red followed by 30 laps on latigo leather. It felt better...quite a bit better! Not as painful and my alcohol splash's report wasn't quite as intense. I think we're on to something with these higher grits.

This makes me very excited to gssixgun's edge!

PLANofMAN, Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  14. Keithmax

In order to keep my straights sharp as possible I do 10 laps on FeO3 strop, then linen then leather. That seems to have given some longevity to my edges. I track the sharpness and if I feel it is falling off I either use CrOx or Dovo red and black paste. When that does not work to my satisfaction I touch it up on a stone.

15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Level Up - we are now at Stupid Sharp :p

Have fun !!!

[​IMG]

Karl G, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  16. SterFry

Thank you very much, sir! I appreciate your efforts and advice in the matter. I'll record my first shave with it just for tickles and comparison. I think this will do the trick, considering how much better the jnat edges felt after running them on the balsa. Fingers crossed.

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I hope you aren't a bleeder. Be very careful, with Stupid Sharp. Been there, done that, and have a couple of scars to prove it.

Karl G, Zykris and SterFry like this.
  18. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

How was the edge when you received it?

Karl G likes this.
  19. SterFry

Got the razor back yesterday and shaved with it this morning with significantly improved results. It was my most comfortable shave with a traditional straight yet. I think I'll go ahead and order a 30k once I'm home from work. I'm curious what pasted balsa will do to a 30k edge. Thanks again, gssixgun.

I recorded the shave, although it cuts out towards the end of the second pass. I think because my phone's battery dropped below a certain %.

Karl G, swarden43, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  20. JPO

JPO Active Member

I was more or less in the same position as you are. Even a fresh feather pro blade tugs. When i started shaving and honing over 10 years ago i had no problems with my edges. So what changed? Have my honing abilities and shaving technique only gotten worse over the years, or have something else changed? My beard is tougher today then it was 10 year ago. I do not think feather have changed their blades during this time.
    Now i need a little keener edges to get by.
    If i use a synthetic edge i need to take is above 12k. I have the 0.44 u shapton, but for me it is enough to stop at 0.85 u G7(16-17k). If i want more i usually go to a CBN 0.125 u balsa. I more or less get to the same place as my 0.44 shapton. I am not saying not to get the 30k, but you are not gaining much over the balsa.
    The Gokumyo 20000 might be a better buy. I do not have that stone, but i think the general consensus is that this is a really nice stone.

When i use naturals i thin the bevel with a series of convex stones, ending with a flat stone. It makes a difference, but the experts seem to disagree. All i know is that these edges, even after an Ark is keener then my feather pro blades. I have done several shaves comparing both. They can be a little more fragile, and might not handle a steep shaving angle, but that does not seem to be the case judging from your video.
    A full hollow grind is in my opinion optimal for this kind of edge.

Karl G and SterFry like this.