Two Ever-Ready/Whipped Dog Combos

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by HoosierTrooper, Sep 20, 2013.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I've read a lot about Whipped Dog knots so I ordered two, a 20mm pure black badger and a 20mm silvertip badger, then I had to decide what to put them in. I chose these two, both of which are in excellent to near mint condition. The original knot in the red and white C40 worked pretty well, but lost a hair or two every use, the knot in the blue and white F40 also works very well and doesn't shed at all, but I have another F40 that is identical that I'm leaving in stock factory original condition.

Here they are before changing out the knots:

[​IMG]

The C40 got the pure black badger, while the new home for the silvertip is the F40:

[​IMG]

The lettering on both is in such good condition that I didn't do a thing with them.

[​IMG]

JayPo007, GDCarrington and srpavko like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes, folks! Tom has done it yet again!!
    :happy096:

3. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Excellent Tom! Of course, we expect that...........;)

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Tom, nice work—as always!
    You've given me a nice suggestion for replacing knots on these two EverReadys, which tend to shed & are pretty limp.
    [​IMG]

5. HoosierTrooper

Thanks fellas, these two were pretty easy to do since they didn't have decades of crud to chisel off. Kevin, I put a TGN silvertip in my 500PBT and really like the looks, and performance of it.

6. btbill

btbill Member

They both look great, how does the Black Badger feel compared to the Silvertip ?

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good choices. Well played!

8. HoosierTrooper

Here they are after one practice lather and one actual use. btbill, they are both very good, the silvertip seems a bit more dense and it lost 8-10 hairs both times I used it, which I'm sure won't last. I think between the two of them I prefer the black badger by the slightest margin, but that's based on only one use.

[​IMG]

Erik Redd likes this.
  9. btbill

btbill Member

Thanks HT, I just ordered a 20mm silvertip from WD, next month I'll get a black badger brush and give it a try....
    At the prices he's charging, why not ?
    PS, the 30mm is a monster, Lots and Lots of lather on my ears, glasses, nose etc.:signs081:

10. HoosierTrooper

Yeah, Larry's prices are fantastic, that's for sure. The largest I have are 27mm Omega boar knots in a couple vintage handles, and they are plenty big, but not too big. Of course boar doesn't bloom out like badgers do. I'll be looking forward to hearing how you rate the black and silvertip knots.