Two Old Sheffields

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Feb 6, 2017.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Two vintage Sheffield-made straight razors showed up tonight. Both are about the same age, similar size and region.
    The two are in decent condition, requiring only modest clean-up and honing.

[​IMG]

The William Greaves' horn scales are showing signs of age with some fraying of edge and splitting at the wedge end. I'll eventually replace this set with some comparably-colored horn. Right now, the pins are tight and the blade closes comfortably. They've lasted this long; a little while longer won't hurt. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other razor is by another Sheffield maker, albeit lesser known, Joseph Smith & Sons (in the SR biz from 1830 until 1886). This razor is solidly built and the brass hardware, lead wedge and black horn scale with "DIAMOND EDGE RAZOR' painted gold in stamped relief, are all in excellent condition, especially considering the age.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The razor does have an interesting blade! It is a heavy wedge grind, but...
    Somewhere in its life, someone ground a 1/4" wide concave channel along the spine on a single side, terminating a half inch into the tang (a 'lather trough' perhaps?). The channel is shallow enough so as its appears to not alter or impact the angle when honing.
    Interesting, no?
    :signs002:
    [​IMG]

These both go into the queue for clean-up & honing.

Billyfergie, Jim99, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  2. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Those both look very nice. It's awesome seeing how these hold razors age so well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  3. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Those look great Kevin. Good condition considering their age. Look forward to seeing them post clean-up!

4. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Awesome looking razors, I'm sure they'll be fantastic shavers! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

The fuller line was intended to lighten the blade. I have a Joseph Elliot with a fuller line on both sides. It predates hollow grinding and rattler grinds, I believe it was where the idea for the rattle came from, but everyone has theories.
    Both of those made very nice razors and those look great.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Yes, I can see the logic in attempting to 'lighten the load'—peculiar that only one side was treated in this manner (maker stamp side). I've always been a fan of these old Sheffields. Love the weight, blade shape and how they feel in the hand.

RezDog, Billyfergie, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  7. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

Very nice razors. Hopefully one day I will get to own a nice Sheffield

Billyfergie, Karl G and HolyRollah like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

There's plenty of them out there from a variety of Sheffield makers. Many of the razors, however, are in pretty sad shape (not 'shave-ready' in the least), but if you come across one with the blade in decent condition, most are quite redeemable! :happy088:
    before_after_sheffield.jpg

9. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

The problem I have found these days is everyone seems to think they can get rich quick selling razors, especially the old sheffields. Prices have exploded at a rediculous level, however there are a few good people who have them at reasonable prices. Unfortunately most buy from them and try to turn a buck and someone who sweats money doesn't think twice and buys them up. We'll see what happens, but hopefully with the soon to be resurrected Wade and Butcher the prices will be brought under control.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Kevin, those are nice finds!

Billyfergie, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Is there something you know about this? :signs002:

Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  12. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That seems kind of like the resurrection of the Indian motorcycle brand in the US. In name, sure. In substance, not really. I doubt it had any effect on the price of classic Indians. Nice idea, though. I hope he succeeds in making a quality product. However, it seems modern razors are pricier than the classics so keeping a sharp eye on eBay and the classifieds may be the way to go. I sold a nice 5/8 W&B some months ago for $45 on B&B so I can tell you first-hand they are out there. :happy088:

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Even IF the W&B line is resurrected, I still see the larger original (FBUs & the like) Wades still in demand enough to keep prices relatively high.

I've owned several dozen W&Bs and some have been truly good shavers, but I discovered I've developed a real preference for other makers (also in relatively limited supply) such as Marshes & Shepherd, Greaves, Wostenholms, Fenneys, Reynolds, Rodgers, etc.

Spyder likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Kevin, your work amazes me.

Spyder and Karl G like this.