Type F Injector Razor Restoration

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jgreenepa, May 16, 2020.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I was helping my next store neighbor empty his father’s things from his garage when he picked up an old beat up razor from a shoebox and asked me if I wanted it. When I saw what he was holding, I calmly said sure. He said it looked pretty beat. I agreed and calmly pocketed it. It was a Type F Injector manufactured from 1940-41 before production was halted because metals used in its manufacture were needed for the war effort. I’d been trying to buy one of these for some time with no luck, and here one just fell into my lap. Here is what it looked like

B40300DE-D271-4960-9F80-4313601FCA71.png

2. jgreenepa

72EB111C-0D6F-453E-BCD1-4BF11EBDFDCB.jpeg This is step two after Dawn, toothpaste, boiling water aluminum foil and baking soda, and ultrasonic cleaning. Step three, polishing, will follow in a day or two, as SWMBO must be bored as she has created the honey do list of all honey do lists. Power washing, door hanging, And painting.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Very good, looking forward to the final product! btw, I've found that ultrafine grit sanding pads (like the kind used to clear up car headlight plastic) are perfect on razors. They bring out a shine instantly and no liquid metal polish is needed. The pads would make your aluminum shine like a mirror.

Edison Carter and jgreenepa like this.
  4. jgreenepa

Thanks for the suggestion. I usually use a cotton buffing wheel on my Dremel with jewelers rouge. I hope I’ll get to it by Tuesday! My wife resents my Presidency of MOLC(Men of Leisure Club) and being a staunch Calvinist, needs to make sure I’m not too idle! “Devil’s plaything” and all! Any way, I will post the results of the final stage in a day or two. SWMBO has me power washing the whole dang house! Whew! Then there’s a door to shim, hang and install followed by repainting our sun porch what to me looks like the same shade of yellow it already is! Go figure! Happy wife, happy life!

5. brit

brit in a box

awesome score Jeff..nice job..

jgreenepa likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

brit likes this.
  7. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Nice job and great find.

Karl G likes this.
  8. jgreenepa

Thanks, Gary. There’s still the final polishing step. Given how busy SWMBO is keeping me, I may not get to it until early next week!

Karl G, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

am sure it will look great ..:)

Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

One of the greatest razors evah!!
    Please keep us in the loop...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, Karl G and brit like this.
  11. jgreenepa

Stage 3 Power Buffing Completed. Not sure if it’s worth repairing the holes by refilling with aluminum epoxy? I’m currently awaiting the arrival of some 2000 grit sandpaper to continue work on the handle. Your thoughts?
    995BD1ED-0F97-40E6-94BF-3E635383B077.jpeg F20C8698-F046-4E67-BC6E-6C2898EAD7F6.jpeg 67AD11ED-F7C8-4377-90ED-4156737DAA1E.jpeg

12. brit

brit in a box

looks cool so far Jeff.not sure if one could use silver solder ."carefully"to fill them.but it shows character.i would leave them.it's an icon razor but ..it's earned it's scars..

gorgo2 and jgreenepa like this.
  13. jgreenepa

I’m thinking aluminum epoxy. Designed for aluminum, and would allow me to fill in and smooth out things, but there is something to be said for character. I’m that car guy who likes things to look new! Besides, it gives me a chance to play with my Dremel.

Edison Carter, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

very cool.i am not sure if aluminum epoxy will shine up like the rest of the razor.i have only used it for light thread repair.if it does it would be fine..

Edison Carter, jgreenepa and gorgo2 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Wow, that is going to look very nearly pristine when it's sanded, just you wait! Never worked with aluminum putty before, will depend on what shade it cures to?

brit and jgreenepa like this.
  16. jgreenepa

It doesn’t shine up! I’ve been looking for a shiny metal epoxy with no success yet.

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

the silver solder would shine up fine,just not lead solder.

jgreenepa likes this.
  18. jgreenepa

Would it adhere to the aluminum?

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

silver solder is for fine electrical and is pricy,i would think so.but not tried to fill stuff with it.research required..

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Small butane torch...fine aluminum rod...?

jgreenepa and brit like this.