U.S. made DE blades?!?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Dec 28, 2012.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hey, I'm able to log in at my dad's, cool.

Stopped by a really weird discount chain store called Fred's and they have five blades for a buck. Haven't tried them yet but what's odd is the back says "Blades made in the U.S." These are the exact same blades I also noticed today sold by the Meijer store chain for 3x as much...dispenser, text on the back, all the same, "made in the U.S." - only the store logo is different.

Question: are they lying? Is there actually a U.S. manufacturer???

PS Stopped by Dollar General and grabbed one of their 5 packs to compare; it is different all the way around, and do say Korea. Haven't opened either pack yet to compare the blades themselves, tho.

I suspect shenanigans somewhere, but I hope I'm wrong and there really is a domestic manufacturer.

All info welcome.

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Personna used to produce blades in the U.S. Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc... all stamped their labels on those U.S. Personna blades. They were a solid performing blade. I liked them.

Personna went bankrupt something like a year ago. I don't think they're producing blades in the U.S. anymore with one caveat: I don't know where they make Personna med prep and lab blades. Those might be produced in the U.S. still.

Walmart switched over to Wilkinson. CVS, Walgreens, etc... switched over to Dorco. From what I hear the Dorco blades are not good.

I think Fred's sells lots of discontinued items. You probably found some of the old U.S. Personna blades.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Ahhhhh, makes sense. Good to know. Since I found a few razors on the road today I can compare the Dorcos and Personnas side by side. If they're as good as you say I'll stop by Fred's and snag the other 4 packs.

Must mean Meijer is burning through old stock, I guess. Wonder what they'll do when they eventually run out...

Anyway, Fred's also had several $1 packs of Trac II/Atra carts, also made in the U.S. That's 50 cents cheaper than DG now - the cheapest of the cheap - so I'm grabbing those, too.

Thanks for the heads up!

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

ASR (maker of Personna) was adsorbed into Schick / Energizer in a buy out after the bankruptcy.

What was called ASR (Personna Division) still makes med preps and their beauty line blades in the U.S. along with Schick which still makes a few DE blades in the U.S. (but they are not good).

http://yosemite.epa.gov/r1/npl_pad....6941981fc6c059f285256c2f005f6d56!OpenDocument

What you more than likely got was some old ASR blades.

Here is Personna's website.

http://medical.personnablades.com/ProductCatalog.aspx?task=Surgical+Prep

http://beauty-barber.personnablades.com/ProductCatalog.aspx?task=Hair+Shaping

So yes, there is still one producer. They will continue because of the medical and beauty professions, not for traditional shavers.

My box of Personna DE blades that I bought last year stated Made In U.S.A. with no caveats for components or printing.

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I, too, wondered about these blades so I contacted Fred's headquarters and asked about the blades. Was told that the blades are made by ASR for Fred's. According to the reply received, the blades are not old stock but new

I do know that I use the blades often and get great shaves from them. For me, the blades are smooth, comfortable and sharp no matter which razor I use them in. One of my favorites.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Shaved with one tonight in a fat handled Tech I picked up on the road. No complaints, it's a good blade. I'd like to believe they're new stock now being made by ASR...assuming it's true, Fred's and Meijer sell them. Wonder who else does?

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I must get my hands on some.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

They are probably still pulling from the beauty line of blades. That is actually a very good thing that the shaving market will have additional access to these blades.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

We're heading home today and I'd swing by Fred's for the last four packs but freezing rain/snow is heading our way...gotta take the interstate back, and Fred's ain't on the way. If I ever do come by some,I'll PIF 'em to whoever here is interested.

GDCarrington and battle.munky like this.
  10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I have a Fred's here in town. If anyone would like to try these out, let me know. I will say that there is usually only 3 or 4 packs available at a time.

JRod22 and gorgo2 like this.
  11. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

What didn't used to be made in the U.S.A.? :angry021:

GDCarrington and gorgo2 like this.
  12. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Personna made DE and injector blades are still sold at the BX/PX on military bases. These are my go to blade. The ones I get are platinum chrome and are better than the blue labs for me. They sell and get restocked quite often. And the packaging just recently changed so I know it is not just old stock.

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Very nice offer, Poppi. I do not need any but I'd be curious to know how their Atra-type carts compare with the DG Koreans, if anyone has used both.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I picked up 8-10 packs a while ago, maybe about a year, at the McGuire/Ft. Dix exchange. They stopped carrying them for some reason. It's the blade I used today, as a matter of fact. I like 'em.

15. thevez2

I've used both and like both. I haven't used them recently enough to say which one I like better. I know a couple Atra enthusiasts on another forum prefer the DG Dorcos. They both work well for me. The DG Dorcos will work in an Atra or a Trac II. The Personnas you have to buy Atra type or Trac II type.

16. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I stopped in at a CVS today and they had about 5 packs of "Made in USA" store brand blades. They were 2 packs for $10 so I grabbed a couple. At $.50 per blade they're not a screaming deal but I'd like to try them. Hopefully they're not just old stock but it sounds like they might be. Should I go clean them out?

17. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

if these are the CVS blades [​IMG]
    I think they are the same as [​IMG]

I think Personna makes these blades as the store brands for CVS and a couple of other places.

18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I noticed one says "stainless steel" and one says "platinum chrome", so maybe they aren't the same.

19. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Yep those are the ones (in the top pic). I just remembered from earlier in this thread that CVS store brand has switched to Dorco. Maybe they've switched back? Or maybe this store just has some old stock?

I was wondering about the markings too.

20. thevez2

Stainless Steel and Platinum Chrome are two different blades made by Personna. Blue Labs are stainless steel, however they are Teflon coated. The blades from CVS are not Teflon coated, and in my opinion are the worst blades Personna makes. Definitely not worth stocking up at that high price. I pay $1.50 for a ten pack of Platinum Chrome blades. It is my favorite blade. Works better than the blue labs for me, and last longer too.

GDCarrington likes this.