Uncommon Alcohol Splash scents

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jramire2, Aug 6, 2007.

1. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Being summer and humid here in Dallas, I've ventured into alcohol based aftershaves. I find that they work very well for my skin during the muggy summer months. However, I've found that there isn't a lot of variety in the types of scents available. By that I mean, there are tons of "cologne" scents out there, quite a few bay rum scents, and a handful of lime scents. But outside of that...nothing, which is disappointing for me.

A handful of my favorite scents are almond (when it's on the sweet side), lavender, and patchouli.

Does anyone have any idea if there is an alcohol splash is made in these scents?

...otherwise, I may venture down to the liquor store and get some cheap vodka for an attempt at some homemade stuff.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I belive D.R. Harris has a lavender water.

Casswell-massey has a bunch of stuff. Patch encluded.

Taylors has a big selection as well.

3. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Thanks, didn't even realize they were that common, or that Tobs even made AS's.

uhm, anything a bit more affordable? The only high end aftershave I'm saving for is Floid, beyond that my budget caps out around $15/bottle. Paying $26 for 3.3ozs of Taylors Vs. $6 for 6oz of Pinaud is a bit hard to swallow. I was hoping there was some unheard of aftershave mfr that made these scents in the cheap $5 16 oz bottles available around here (aka Masters).

Regardless, thanks for the input. If I can't find an alternative I might spring for one of those expensive bottles.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Master's and Stephan's make a ton of ABAS, I am not sure on lavender, almond, patch though.

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Hmm, thats a tough one, bud.

Almond - no. But Conk does have an almond balm (Clearly not what you're looking for)

As for lavender & patchouli, no pure play aftershaves come to mind, but there are a couple "natural"-type that are available which contain a combination of one or both (or similar):

Sante' Homme - Aftershave splash:

There is, to my nose, patchouli in the Sante. And others (possible cedar)

Aubrey Organics - Spice Island ( bay rum, patchouli, nutmeg and vetiver) Has bay rum, but I think the patchouli and vetiver are more prominent. YMMV ;)

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

One more, that I have never tried, is Honeybee Gardens. NOT to be confused with Honeybee Sue (soaper)

http://www.honeybeegardens.com/natural-cosmetics/products/mas.html

I believe that if you order the unscented version, you will end up with this:

[SIZE=-1]Ingredients: SD Alcohol 40 (natural source), witch hazel extract, aloe vera, yarrow, calendula, german chamomile, elder flower, rose, peppermint, lavender, lemon, essential oils.

But I would check with them to make sure first. There are a variety of "versions" available, like sandalwood, key lime, etc.....and I believe those would go into the [essential oils] item in the ingredient listing.
    [/SIZE]

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

[vbpg]232[/vbpg]

Pashana is one of the classic after shaves for men.
    It is a complex blend of essential oils which include Sandalwood and Patchouli along with Cedarwood and Rosemary and even a touch of Lavender.
    One of the most exotic fragrances for men we have ever experienced. 3.5oz glass bottle.
    $9.95 at www.qedusa.com

Awesome stuff that is NOT for the faint hearted.
    Little splash lasts ALL DAY LONG and the main scent I get is Patchouli.
    :love029

8. xChris

xChris Member

Musgo Real Original Scent AS is made with patchouli & vetiver, but winds up in the middle of the Master's & ToBS choices in price.

9. Zeni

Zeni New Member

There are many with only a few notes to them, Provence Sante, Speick, Musgo, Cade,etc.

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Good call, Rick :happy088

I'd say this fits the description of what he's looking for the best.....I have not, however, tried it.

11. rick

Dude !
    You shoulda said something.
    Looks like we may have to play Lets Make A Deal again ;)
    ...................BTW. Im roasting up some more beans in the AM

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :mad: And that is why you didn't get a sample of my shaving cream!

Where's my coffee?? :confused:

13. rick

I like you MORE when youre grumpy :D

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    So............no coffee, huh? :sad024

15. Will

Will Nevermind

Rick,

Give her the coffee or loose a thumb, you choose.

16. rick

EASY, lucky !

......it is dun. :cool:

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'm out of coffee. :(

Stuck drinking Folgers at home because that is what my Father-in-law drinks and I don't want to waste a pot. He's visiting for two weeks. But Rick has inspired me to re-look at roasting some myself.

18. Slick & Smooth

Slick & Smooth New Member

In the good old spirit of craftsmanship I always say; "If there is something you want that you can't find, then make it yourself."
    Just get your hands on some alcohol that is useable for cosmetic purposes. I use pure denaturated alcohol when I can get my hands on it or else something from the drugstore that is 98 % pure. Just a basic recipe to start with could be 2 cups of alcohol, one tablespoon of glycerin, 1/2 cup of distilled water and some dried lavender in an amount that you like. Just chuck it all in a bowl and refrigerate it for a couple of days and shake one very thoroughly each day. When it is finished then run it through a siff to take out the lavender pieces and put in in a jar whatever glass object you want to use for storing. Basically you can add everything you like to this recipe, if you feel like using some witch hazel in it then by all means do. It will deliver a quite hefty lavender smell depending on the amount of lavender you use and it may also burn a little when applying to the face. :D

19. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I was considering the homemade route, but was hoping to get away w/just buying some instead of experimenting.