Unexpected bargain!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by icedog, Mar 16, 2019.

1. icedog

icedog Member

Visited a local second hand/junque/antique shop this morning and found a new, still in the box, Merkur Progress (standard length handle) which I was able to purchase for $30CA ... that translates to about $22.50US. Haven't tried it out yet, but am very pleased to add it to my small collection of a couple dozen safety razors, all of which I think are Gillettes.

CrustyCat, MR41, PanChango and 15 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Congratulations! Nice score & a good deal.

Somnos likes this.
  3. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Yeah! Well done Sir! A fine razor at an even finer price! I have a Progress and Mergress (both shortys) and love them both!

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Is it new as in like the I believe they changed the casting molds and improved them sometime after 2016 new, pre 2016 but still not vintage or a vintage Merkur Progress?

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The Progress is an awesome razor! You'll like it!

Herm

brit likes this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Pics, we love pics.

I've said many times, if I had gotten a progress first, I may not have a razor collection. Enjoy

Primotenore, RyX and brit like this.
  7. icedog

icedog Member

BBS ... I am not familiar enough with the Merkur razors to know whether it is pre or post 2016. I just know that it looks pretty much like the ones I see pics of on the sites of retailers who carry them. Are the differences quite subtle, or are there some fairly obvious indicators I could look for?

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is the older version to tell between this and the newer ones you need to look at the side you use to align the cap.
    Notice the the triangle pointer on the head.
    https://sharpologist.com/2014/03/merkur-progress.html

Now here is the newest version on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NAEP6I/?tag=thshde-20

They also make these with long or short handles, without the case the model numbers on either the pre or post 2016 is 500 for the short handle and 510 for the long. The newer ones when in cases I forget the model number but usually the case is black. If it has a metal knob it is a modified Progess, they are called Mergress razors when the aftermarket mod is done on them.

The vintage Merkur Progress razors are harder to identify. Pictures would be needed. They first started making the Progress IIRC in 1956.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  9. icedog

icedog Member

Thanks BBS ... I must be honest - though I looked at both enlarged pics several times, any difference was not really noticeable to me, as they both seem to have the alignment triangle as does mine. It's getting late here .. could be I'm missing something embarassingly obvious! Anyway I did see a sticker on the end of the box mine came in (unfortunately no case) with a few markings on it, including: 90 500 001. So, the 500 indicates it is the shorter handled version?
    I'll have another look at things in the morning to see if my observational skills have improved any.

brit likes this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You have to zoom in on the amazon one side view to see the difference between the 2 I posted. It will match one or the other. If the amazon it is the newest. The 500 most likely means that. The short handle length is 75.8mm and long handle length is 93.9mm according to Merkur.

brit likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    But you didn't, so look how many great razors you acquired, David. :eatdrink020:

12. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting a great razor! Also at a fantastic price!!!!

brit likes this.
  13. icedog

icedog Member

OK ... got it ID'd as a post 2016. May put a blade in it later this week and try it out. Certainly hope I like at as well as so many others who have shared their experiences with it.

brit likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I shaved with a pre 2016 model for many years, the knobs weren't calibrated unlike the newer ones but I used to set mine somewhere between 2 and 3 if you want to try that for a starting point before adjusting up or down after a few shaves.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:happy096:

brit likes this.
  16. icedog

icedog Member

Merkur Progress shave this morning ... a new Dorco Platinum, a dab of C.O. Bigelowe whipped up with a previously re-knotted brush in my old Seaforth mug ... all good! Quite like the Progress, and will keep using it for the next while. It got me enthused about some of the shave stuff I have tucked away, so I took out another brush I put together a couple years ago and haven't used yet. May even open up a new cream or soap that's been sitting around unused.

brit and Hembree like this.