Unique Old Spice, and Avon Bottles/Decanters, And Finds

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DaltonGang, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Great collection!!!

Tim Spencer likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm debating on whether to use mine, or save it. They aren't making these anymore, and they are much rarer than the Shulton Old Spice Aftershave.

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

As I recall(and that was a loooong time ago), I at first thought they were underarm deodorant soaps, but I suppose now they were just those "clean&fresh," bodysoaps that had no deodorant power.

4. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

This came in the mail today.
    20180628_153416.jpg

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

@DaltonGang, I've admired your Avon bottles on the SOTD posts. My mom used to sell Avon back in the day. Well done sir.

Cheers, Steve

6. DaltonGang

Thanks. I have many more packed away, and need to get them out for.some photos. A few years ago, the Avon aftershave s were hard to sell. I liked a couple of scents, and bought them for a couple of dollars over shipping costs. Now, Avon Spicy is becoming more popular, but still not as pricy as Shulton Old Spice.

Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Avon Leather. Weather-or-Not Decanter. 5 oz.
    Great smell, and the thermometer really works, with the correct reading.

P7060334.JPG

8. DaltonGang

Old Spice Men's Set #381. 3 oz of Talcum, and 4.75 oz Aftershave. NOS. Shulton. 1950-1955.

A little evaporation on the aftershave, so I got this for around $16, delivered. I was curious how this held up, so, I dabbed a little on the back of my hand, and put some 1970's Shulton on the other. Both smelled almost identical, with the Early 1950's smelling ever so slightly richer/creamier. That was a good thing. One thing is for sure, if stored properly, This stuff ages very nicely, without degrading.

P7180347.JPG

P7180348.JPG

9. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

My mom is sending me a keg full of spicy she picked up at a shop and tin of soap that looks like a sun dial/calander with soap scented with avon for men, ill post pics when they arrive. My aunt also has a box full of razors my uncle collected somewere in her basement, she is going to dig them out and send them to me, it will be interesting as he was some type of machinest/engineer for gillette.

10. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I still have problems posting pics on the site. Yesterday I found the Avon gold, old timey telephone bottle with the ear piece still with it at a Salvation Army thrift store. Not an unusual find unto itself, of course, but its still full of 6 ozs of Leather cologne (not after shave). And the ear piece is still full of the talc. Both smell great. Not bad for $1.99.

RyX, Enrico, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  11. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

12. DaltonGang

Shulton Old Spice Fresh Lime.
    Great scent, and about the best smelling Lime Aftershave around. Not much difference between the Lime, and the Fresh Lime, only the "Lime" is a tad bit stronger. Almost imperceptible.

P7300356.JPG

Tim Spencer, Brickman301, RyX and 3 others like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

That has some promise, with a big dose of anticipation! Can't wait to see the photos and list of items!

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm not a Collector of Avon bottles, but I do visit an auction site where they show up often. If anyone is working on or wants to build a set of Avon chess pieces, PM me for a link to 36 bottles. The listing doesn't mention if there's any juice. Just bottles in original boxes. At the moment of this post there are no bids & 34 hours to auction close. Including CONUS shipping they average in at less than sixty cents each.
    Avon Chess pieces.JPG

Tim Spencer and Enrico like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I really enjoy the spicy, but I already have about 3/4 of a gallon of Wild Country. :happy102:

RyX likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Haven't found Spicy yet. Plenty of Wild Country is what convinced me to not collect decanters.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Paul Turner and Enrico like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Spicy is good, but leather is awesome! :eatdrink013:

RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Ceramart Stein - 1982

This stein is 8 1/2" tall and was manufactured in 1982. It is white ceramic with a blue wash glaze. The bottom is marked: "Ship Grand Turk, Limited edition Ceramic Stein hand-crafted exclusively for Shulton, 1982" Only 12,000 were produced. It was originally released as a "first in a series" but I do not think another style was ever offered. The stein came with a 6 3/8 oz. bottle of after shave and retailed for $30.

P8060380.JPG

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Tim Spencer, MacDaDad, RyX and 2 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

20180806_173450.jpg while not vintage or shulton ,my grandad was an old spice man. i always keep stocked. dust included...

Yogi_Bear, Tim Spencer, RyX and 2 others like this.
  20. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Went to a shop the other day that has quite a few old Avon bottles. Some are in the box. I’ll have to see what they have and report back!

RyX, Enrico and brit like this.