Unique Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sdguero, Aug 15, 2017.

1. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I was just wondering how many unique razors were out there. The special razor that I have is one that my youngest son "created" for me for my birthday. I came home from work one day (before I retired) and he was in his room playing a video game and I noticed and odd contraption on his dresser. He explained it was a 3-D printer he bought from an engineering student at the School of Mines. I had not known about his purchase but I smiled to myself, because there are a lot of worse things he could waste his money on. He's a science geek (didn't get that from me or his mom) and wants to be an engineer someday (he starts university on Monday). Anyway, he used the 3-D printer to make me a safety razor:

DSCF2756.JPG DSCF2757.JPG DSCF2758.JPG DSCF2760.JPG DSCF2761.JPG

I have not tried the razor out. It's not a perfect creation. We couldn't find a nut the exact, right size to go into the top of the handle and secure with a screw going in from the top. And I have to trim some of the teeth on the open combs because they're not even. But I do plan to try it out sometime soon.

While this may not be an everyday go-to razor, it will have the top-spot in my razor collection.

Tinmantoo, Herm2502, Paul76 and 21 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Interesting......

Zykris likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Pretty cool!

Zykris likes this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's great, priceless and definitely one of a kind.

Zykris likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The razor is fantastic looking, even more so of course since your son made it for you. He should try his hand at a making a PAA slant open comb slant bar. I've seen a lot of people wondering if a 3D printer could be used to make one of those.

Zykris and BambulanceMan like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very cool. You need to try one shave with it ... carefully.

Zykris and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

We have a member here that has built a number of versions of an injector razor. Maybe Tom @twhite will post some photos?

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Zykris, BambulanceMan and twhite like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool. Although I did not make the razor, I made the handle of this faux adjustable.
    IMG_4780.JPG

PLANofMAN, Zykris, jtspartan and 12 others like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That is just plain Cool! :happy088: For a second I thought you were the guy that bought the rust Fat Boy off ebay. :happy097:

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Very cool!

Zykris, BambulanceMan and Jayaruh like this.
  11. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

awesome. The 3-d printer may have "printed" it, but your son had to design it. Bright lad.

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

You have until this coming May to round it into shape. I think it will definitely be a great MAYhem shave!

13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

That's a really cool and memorable gift.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Zykris and FaceScraper like this.
  14. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

:signs015:
    For some reason I have visions of the show "The Big Bang Theory!". :signs015:

Zykris likes this.
  15. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have also some printed razors. 3D printed razors do have a potential, but because of how inexact a 3D printer is, one has to print a few times with small adjustments to get the blade exposure one wants. The razor in my avatar is 3D printed.

What I notice in that particular design you got is that the blade is straight and not bent as in most razors. While there are some "real" razors having straight blade, it is still a bit unorthodox and it might cause a bit of blade flexing and a higher tendency to bite.

Zykris, AGHisBBS and FaceScraper like this.
  16. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

That is so awesome.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Zykris likes this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice! Those 3D printers are endless in what they can do

Zykris likes this.
  18. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments everyone. I haven't figured out how you guys "quote" another's post so I'll just have to respond the old-fashioned way:
    Jayaruh - That's an awesome faux handle! You're have an awesome talent, and I'm learning about the brushes!
    RetLEO-07 - I look forward to MAYhem shave!
    Tiredricefarmer - Funny you should mention "Big Bang Theory." My son was watching reruns of the show at that time. He loves it.
    Engblom - You're right on about the blade angle or lack of angle. I have an expensive, manufactured TTO which doesn't bend the blade at all and seems very aggressive in the shave. Thank you for pointing that out. I will be careful with it.

Paul76, RetLEO-07 and Zykris like this.
  19. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

John Ruschmeyer and Zykris like this.
  20. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

stingraysrock likes this.