Unusual (Or Not) Razor Variations

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Since I joined TSD, I have become far more intimate with my razors (now there's a set up) and I have begun to notice some odd variations in my old Gillettes. Nothing earthshaking, but still something I thought I'd toss out here for the other razor maniacs such as myself.

First off, Let's take a look at the 1937 Sheraton. On the left and center are two Sheratons, and we can see that the silo door linkage (for lack of a better term) is quite different. The Sheraton on the left has some exposed openings, but the linkage on the Sheraton in the center looks indentical to that of the 1938 Senator on the right. My best guess is that the Sheraton on the left is the original design, and then it underwent a mid-year change for aesthetic reasons, and that change was carried over to the Senator.
    [​IMG]

Next, we have an Aristocrat, and a One-Piece Tech Aristocrat Model. What's the difference? At first glance, nothing -- they look identical. But, on closer inspection, we see that the ribs located on the top and bottom of the handle of the Aristocrat (left) are more pronounced than those on the Tech, and the Aristocrat has end caps on the silo door linkage. This is kind of strange, and I don't know why Gillette bothered changing such minute details, but there they are.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Earlier models versus newer models is my guess.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Wow and here I thought I was the only one to go over my razors with a magnifying glass and compare one to anther! Perhaps I am normal after all.

I agree with Single Wedge about old vs. new. I'll also add I've never seen a Sheraton like the one on the left, but the visible pins look like a bunch of early English Gillette's. #21, #15, etc..

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I'm glad to see you around these parts Chris!

I have to admit, I don't pay that close of attention to my razors. I did not notice all of the differences in superspeeds until Chris pointed them out to me.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Funny you should chip in on this thread, because you're the person I thought of when I was writing this post. I remember reading the posts about subtle razor variations that you had submitted at other shaving forums.

BTW, you're not normal, but that's okay, neither am I! :D

6. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

About time you made another appearance here, Chris.

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I had my suspicions. :D My buddies think I'm weird, but hey I think they're the odd ones shaving with 5 bladed gizmos.

Thanks for the welcome guys!