Unusual question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Dec 22, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

After a year and a half of wet shaving I am still determining which is the best blade for me. Thus far there are three brands that do not do well on me: Gillette, Sharp and Feather. What is similar about all three brands? I am thinking that all of these brands are particularly sharp.

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Each are made of Metal......

FO SHO

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

None work for you.

(Isaac is a bad influence on me)

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I felt guilty. :o

Feathers are supposed to be sharper than most. My favorite - use 'em almost every day. Sharp blades always feel DULL to me (so I gave most of what I had left to JoAnna - no dear, they have NOT been used :D). They are supposed to be very forgiving and I've never heard anyone say they were too sharp. Haven't used, or seen, a Gillette in about 40 years. Try Derby.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nope.
    And without a touch of sarcasm; yep.

It is a simple matter of YMMV.

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Here is my reason for asking. I am attempting to determine what characteristics of a blade work best. I was thinking that it was the sharpness of the blade. I guess not since Sharp is not known for its sharpness.

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Perhaps looking for a commonality of the blade is not the right approach its simply as you say, Jo Anna.

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Buy a sampler pack. Use one brand every day for a week, then change. Not (necessarily) the same BLADE, but the same brand. Feathers usually last a week for me, Derby, about 3-4 days. Sharps are only supposed to be good for 1-2 days. I'm sure ALL of this is a YMMV thing though. When you're done, you should know. I would suggest using the same razor as well to eliminate that variable. Good luck.

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

If after 1 1/2 years you are not sure about what blade you prefer then I suggest you keep looking. Those 3 brands you mention are as different as can be, for the most part the Feathers are the sharpest and not for everyone. I don't know which Gilletes you use because you did not mentioned which. Sharps are so-so in my opinion and dull quickly.

Try a sampler pack.

Raf

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Buy some Derby's and be done with it :D

11. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

Or some Dorcos, or IPs

12. Razorburne

Razorburne New Member

get a sampler pack from letterk @ westcoastshaving.com

I have found the Crystal blades to have a great balance between sharpness and smoothness that works great for me. Good price and great service...very quick and very friendly!

13. Queen of Blades

Ok, guys....ummm....JB has a ton of blades, as he has posted before. Don't think he needs a sampler pack.

From JB's Medicine Cabinet;

Blades:

Feather
    Derby
    Merkur
    Crystal
    Personna
    Dinosaur
    Super Dinosaur
    Mem Platinum
    Euro Gillette
    Russian Gillette
    Super Max Platinum
    Super Max Super Stainless
    Dorco Platinum
    Sputnik
    Treet Platinum
    Dura Sharp Stainless
    Treet Special blue
    Astra Supirior Platinum
    Astra Karmik
    Wilkinson Black Label
    Wilkinson White Label
    Wilkinson Economie
    7am
    Sharp
    Blaka Carbon
    Bic

14. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Wonder if he gets the same result with the other blades?

15. Austin

Austin Member

I am really dumbfounded by your question. You obviously own all razor blades known to man. The only person that can decide which blade works for you is you.

16. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

So if I understand your question...you could not find a blade you like from this list??????????

is there a blade that is being made that is not on that list???

Raf

17. Queen of Blades

He only asked what was similar between Sharps, Feathers, and Gillettes.
    According to the original post, those three brands don't agree with him.

18. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

[​IMG]
    I believe JB has not yet tried the Darth Vader Treet :D
    THIS Could be THE one :eek:

19. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I will probably regret this, but I assure you there is nothing personal in what I am about to say: Perhaps it isn't the blade. As others have noted, there are not many characteristics shared by the blades you mention other than the obvious. The Feathers are super-sharp, but can be inconsistent. If you are refering to the Swedish Gillette, that is one I use most often, and get consistent results. I haven't tried Sharp brand blades, but I trust the others who have commented herein.

The reason I say it isn't the blade isn't to imply you are using the wrong technique (though we all can continue to improve there!), but that maybe your approach hasn't been as "scientific" as it coud be. Somewhere someone once suggested a "Sherlock Holmes" type approach. If you can eliminate all the possibles, what you are left with is the impossible.

Since you have tried so many blades, your head may be swimming from all the different results. And different blades with different characteristics also require different techniques. I wouldn't use the same stroke with a Feather that I would with a US Personna.

You might want to systematically run back through your arsenal. Any of the ones that don't give you consistent results over a week, let's say, you can eliminate. (Trade 'em, sell 'em, whatever.) Then go back through the ones that do work, and maybe even keep a journal in your shave den of characteristics. Sounds like a lot of work, but you sound like a meticulous guy, so have at it. Lord willing, you have many shaves left to try stuff out.

Let us know how it goes.

20. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Thats some sound advice. I did a similar thing when i was learning to straight shave. Eliminating the variables.....stick to one sype of razor...and switch out the blades.....might not only be the blades, but maybe the razor as well.