up in the next couple weeks: single edge price guide

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by D.irving79, Apr 4, 2010.

1. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

this will be updated constantly and prices with reflect the true market, not some outdated book. i and several others will be tracking auctions and sales to list the most accurate values of the SE razors we buy/sell/use the most.

view the progress so far at http://www.theoriginalsafety.com/priceguide.html

2. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

Not to point out details...but 90% of the items as you scroll down...has NO pricing..my first GEM was an Aristocrat handle which isnt listed either

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

b/c we havent determined the pricing yet.

and there is no such thing as an "aristorcrat" handle on any gem razor, fyi.

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:happy096 Thank you Dave for all your hard work in the S/E community! :signs107

5. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Thanks Dave for the very insightful site dealing with SE shaving. You are the recognized authority on SE razors and you have gone to extra lengths to help your fellow SE "junkies" learn more about the great razors we love.

Looking forward to the price guide and other SE specific topics TOS gives us.

And I can't forget to thank you for turning me onto SE shaving and for the help you gave me as a novice with purchasing most of the SE razors I now own.

6. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

It's really great to see how far the site has grown since its inception. You've done an amazing amount of work, Dave! Thanks for giving such a great gift to SE fans everywhere!

7. Griz

Griz Member

Excellent. Thanks Dave.

Will N.

8. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

Excellent! Thanks!

Will you be adding the elusive Gem Deluxe at some point? I've been looking for one of those without success for a long time now.

9. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

thats what im saying to you: there was never such a thing. not in any gem ad, any catalouge that sold gems, etc. whoever coined that phrase is a couple bottles short of a six pack.

11. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

you are more than welcome :)

:o:o:o

:thanks

yes i will. i usually ad as i gather sale information for razors. i just put up the usuals, plus a few interesting ones.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Like many folks here, he was simply stating some of the things he owns. It was not a claim that any of the razors he was showing for sale was a '46/47 Aristocrat.

By the way, GREAT WORK Dave!!

13. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

I think the '46/47 Aristocrat referred to in the signature block of the linked post refers to a list of favorite razors in the poster's collection and not the 1912's and Micromatic illustrated. I'm fairly sure he is referring to a Gillette DE Aristocrat, not an SE model.

14. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

Very cool. Nice work.

15. RacerX

RacerX New Member

This seems to be a labor of love.

I commend you on the know-how and effort put into this.

with that said, how are you valuing items?

E.B.A.Y. has been setting false values on items since the beginning.

if your prices are based on that, how do you account for shilling?

G.u.n.b.r.o.k.e.r has has sellers inflating value as well.

I.E.

to see a !@$#%'s worth, check the recently sold items. thats it's worth.

16. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Dave,
    Some real pretty hardware there, brother.

17. Thanks for doing this for the community, Dave. If it wasn't for you I would never have tried SE razors......and that would have been sad.

Are you mentioning the 'average' price for these razors, or the lowest price?

My inclination would be to complicate things by doing an average - first discarding the highest and lowest two prices. However, that's probably not even possible -- for items like the Zinn, for example.

Maybe having the lowest price, and a 'what it's worth' estimate would be nice.

Anyway, thanks again for this resource.

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

the prices are based off of ebay sales, forum sales and (when possible) private sales.

i see false values usually only on buy it nows. i dont plan to take those into account at the moment, only auctions where people pay what theyre willing to pay. and its hard to prove shilling, so im taking the prices on face value.

the guide is now up. some of the prices may seem a little funny, but remember, im going off of recent auctions. naturally the prices will change. more razors will be added on a regular basis.

19. That's in his signature - he just means he has a '46/47 Gillette Aristocrat in his den. As Dave says, none of the Gem's was ever known as an Aristocrat.

20. I'll be curious to see the Gem Deluxe prices. I've only ever seen two.

I'd dearly like to get one in good shape. ;)