Upcoming Need for Stirling Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Michael_W, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Having a rotation of soaps and creams for each day of the week means that each product gets to last longer than it would if I was using one at a given period of time before it runs out and I move on to the next. That said, my Stirling Scots Pine Sheep shave soap is starting to get to the point where I need to replace it soon. So I'm a little torn as to which scent line I want to get next. I've whittled it down to the following:

Scots Pine Sheep

This was the first shave soap I got, and while I enjoy different bath soaps including Pig Trail and Autumn Glory, I could stick with this one as I like woodsy aromas. Still, I do want to try other scents in the product line, which brings me to...

Port-au-Prince

The presence of vetiver in the scent description grabbed my attention. I just like the smell of this sweet grass, and that the soap is one of Stirling's mutton tallow varieties makes it a plus. I'd be delighted to also get the companion aftershave splash and cologne.

Autumn Glory

I really want to get this along with its companion pre-shave oil, post-shave balm to replace my dwindling container, and aftershave splash. But my seasonal security job being what it is, I don't know if there will be any remaining of this seasonal item by the time I can save enough money to get the set. UGH...

Frijolero likes this.
  2. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I am also interested in Port-au-Prince, that one doesn't get talked about much. How prominent is the vetiver?

Frijolero and Michael_W like this.
  3. Michael_W

I don't know yet. I haven't had occasion to try it, which is why I have it under consideration.

Frijolero likes this.
  4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Port au Prince was what convinced me that I'm not a vetiver fan. The lemongrass is nice, but the 'digging in the fresh dirt' smell hangs way too long for me.

I do like the Scots pine sheep. I've heard it's detractors say it smells like pine sol cleaner.

Nice thing is that you can get a $3 soap sample that will give you a nice testing period.

Frijolero, Michael_W and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i will try the scots pine sheep.i like pine scents..

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Port au Prinnce might be described, at least in part, as Stoylin's "paradoxical" scent....."clean dirt". Never tried it, but I do wonder about the clean dirt scent.

7. Edison Carter

Sometimes one would never know that I'm a huge fanboy of Stirling by some of my descriptions.

I have said it smells like a dirt nap.

Terry, Frijolero, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

You leave out the "clean" part, eh, Mr. Cawtuh?

Edison Carter, Michael_W and brit like this.
  9. Ozwhisker

Ozwhisker Member

Review of Port-au-Prince

10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Why not use your existing soaps and creams until they are all gone? That way you could buy however many soaps and creams you want starting with a clean slate. It might make deciding a little bit easier.

11. ghostlife

I needed some bath soap so I threw in a sample of Port-Au-Prince, will report back

Michael_W likes this.
  12. Michael_W

I like having a rotation. Makes the soaps and creams I do have last longer, and I don't use the same one every day.

Paul Turner likes this.
  13. Michael_W

Stirling Scots Pine does NOT smell like Pine-Sol. If it did, no one would be raving about it. It actually does smell just as described on the web site: like taking a walk through a Scots pine forest immediately following a good soaking rain.

Paul Turner, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The Scots Pine is a fine performer, but, for me, there was not enough pine scent in it.

Michael_W, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Like I said, I like Scots Pine Sheep.

Michael_W, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  16. ghostlife

my Port-Au-Prince sample arrived today, haven't shaved with it yet but off the puck it's simple, smooth and refined... I've seen some pretty whack reviews of this scent (Sharpologist uses the word "pungent" about 25 times) but it's nice & completely inoffensive to me

17. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I can only weigh in on Scots Pine, which smells great and performs fantastically. I would like to suggest another soap you didn’t ask about since you mentioned liking woodsy scents. Ozark Mountain definitely deserves your consideration in my opinion. Gatlinburg is great too, but similar to Scots Pine Sheep (to my nose) where as Ozark Mountain is distinctly different and my favorite outdoorsy scent hands down.

Just something more to consider.

18. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I use a soap for a week at a time before I switch to another one. It allows you the time to learn about the soap.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Lipripper60, Michael_W and brit like this.
  19. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Give Sandalwood a try. It's a sweeter Sandalwood, not super dense wood like. It's nice. Ya gotta try Sandpiper too. These are probably my two favorites. Just try some samples until you find what you like. You cant go wrong with Stirling. There is a scent for everyone.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

20. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I like Stirling's Port Au Prince. It's in my current rotation. Pair it with Stirling vetiver witch hazel.

Scent wise Port Au Prince is a mix of lemongrass and dirty vetiver to me.

Michael_W, Edison Carter and brit like this.