Update to earlier posts

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Joe, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Joe

Joe Member

So last night I shaved with a Fat Handle Tech razor that Steve from here sent me. I used CVS brand shaving gel and a dorco blade. I FINALLY got a smooth shave. I did still have minor bleeding on my neck which washed right away after a quick shower, but I had a much better experience this time around. I'm going to keep at it and hope to eventually get a good shave most of the time and start mixing my own shave soaps. I have mixed my own soap a few times, but I much prefer using a shave gel or cream for now till I get my technique down.

I want to thank everybody on there for the advice so far and the shave school on here is awesome! While shaving last night, I tried to remember as much as possible to ease up when I felt I was putting too much pressure and I tried to remember to keep my chin up as high as I can and so far it's working out much better, but still alot of work left till I get even better. Please keep the suggestions coming and thanks everybody!

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Good to hear your shaves are improving. Thank-you from all of us for the nice compliments on the shave school (with a big nod to Bill who did the most work on it).

3. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

The shaves will continue to improve.

4. Joe

Joe Member

Not to mention, today I still feel good on my face, growth, but definitely not as much as there would be with my mach 3

5. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

congratulations on your shave! They will only get better with continued practice and improved technique. Keep at it.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Niiiiiiice!

Just a thought - have you tried shaving after your shower? I know it works better for me. The hot water and steam really helps.

Slivovitz likes this.
  7. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

:signs011:

I know that for years it seemed like common sense to shave before a shower so that the shower would thoroughly clean off all the shaving cream from my face afterward. It was only after reading the suggestions on, to be honest, another shaving forum that I tried doing it the other way around and showering first. It worked much, much better that way for me, although I've made enough other changes in my routine that it's hard to say exactly how important it is.

8. tomnat

I think it is very important. Half of a good shave is the prep and a hot shower before your shave, to soften your beard and hydrate your skin, is about the best prep you can get. Of course in addition to the steam of the shower you can add a pre-shave balm or oil which will also provide for a good shave. Either way, with or without a pre-shave balm or oil, the hot steam/water is quite essential. A lot of people use a hot towel on their face if they aren't taking a shower before they shave, which left on for a few minutes does the same as a hot shower. These are just a couple of suggestions as these are things that I do myself as well as many others and are tried and true methods. I think that you should keep experimenting and see what works best for you, though. It may not work well for you and that is totally ok; we are all different.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent report!

10. Joe

Joe Member

I am one of those that shave before the shower. Never made much of a difference to me with cart razors, but now with DE shaving, and the learning I am giong through and the bleeding, I HAVE to shower after the shave, but I guess perhaps I could shower before and after? Or at least try the hot towel. What is the best way for the towel, let it soak in hot water for a bit first?

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I'm one of those that shower before the shave, but the couple of times I have done the hot towel method, this is what I did:

Get the water as hot as you feel you can comfortably hold it to your face, wet the towel thoroughly, wring most of the water from the towel, you want it damp not dripping water, and then tilt your head back slightly and apply the towel over the whisker areas that you are going to shave. I'll usually let the towel remain in place for about a minute or so, and then repeat the process at least 2 more times.

12. Joe

Joe Member

Antoher update. Last night I shaved again, third time with the fat handle tech. This time I used Dorco blades and cvs brand shave gel (which I will use till I get good then start mixing my own lather). I started with a hot towel, although I need to use a bigger one for longer next time and I made three passes, wtg, atg then xtg. I only got maybe 3 small nicks that barely bleed and stopped bleeding very quickly and ALMOST got BBS! Face and neck were 100% smooth in every direction except a tiny spot on my cheekbone right near my goatee. The whole time I paid attention to the blade angle and not putting too much pressure, also holding my chin up high and stretching the skin in spots. I also did the back and forth think (buffing?) in the tougher spots. After I showered then used my favorite after-shave on my entire face and neck....Noxema! Seems like it's getting better and better and I have to thank you all for the advice. Keep it coming and hopefully my goodfella will be in the mail soon so I can give that a try!

Thanks Everbody

Joe

13. tomnat

Glad to hear you had a great shave. Keep at it, they will only get better.

14. Joe

Joe Member

I also found about 5 old DE razors at my summer home in upstate NY. Some my grandfathers (who's no longer around) from when I was a kid and some from my father from many years ago. I am going there this weekend and although I can't sell or trade them, I can but want to leave them as part of the house, I want to take pictures of them and see if anybody can tell me exactly what they are. I'll post a thread after this weekend with pictures. Oh, correction, four are DE's, one is a SE.