USA Postage -What is the go?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Peter Cupitt, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I am puzzled and perplexed that a puck of razor blades worth $4.00 AUS would cost me just short of $50.00 AUS to post................... However, I can buy a full antique leather shave set full of metal brushes, tins, razors, Blade banks, mirror, comb etc from England and it only costs ~$19.oo AUS. (Obviously a bit heavier and larger than the puck of razor blades)
    I mean England is a long way from Australia just like the USA, so "What's the go"?
    It is not like a few razor blades will chew up all the fuel on the plane !!!!!!!!!!
    Very frustrating. I keep finding some really nice, sometimes beautiful items in the USA, which I am happy to give my dollars to these businesses, but I am NOT happy to give my money to the US postal service if this is how they work.
    Does anyone know why it is SO expensive from the US to Australia? Tarrifs? Taxes? Upside-down Aussies wouldn't know the difference?
    :angry019:
    these are the DORCO blades I am Talking about; STD301DoubleEdgeBladesPackage__08143.1320368366.240.220.jpg
    If anyone is coming for a holiday in Australia, you could bring some with you and post them when you got here maybe?????? Hey, I gotta try don't I?????

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Ive sent an item heavier than that to Australia (VHS tape) and it cost me 15USD.

PM me and i can get you a pack of dollar store dorcos (in that same dispenser different labeling) shipped at the true cost to send.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Might it have something to do with extra handling as razor blades are considered a hazardous material by US Post?

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

According to the USPS, razor blades are considered 'Restricted Matter'(under knives and sharp instruments)—that said, I don't see anywhere that an additional fee or surcharge is implemented by them, even for international shipments.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I wish I knew the answer to that question myself...Who are you getting the blades from? Is it an individual or a company? I know sellers on ebay can vary the shipping charges they charge...Can you buy from sellers like "razorblades and more" on ebay? $50 is "WAY" more than Dorco's are worth I.M.O. What about amazon?

There is a guy on ebay called "Liorfe" who sells shave stuff. His ebay store name is Tierra Santa Shaving Supplies" he is located in Israel, but ships to America and I think worldwide for free..You should send him an email...Last I saw he doesn't sell Dorco's, he sell different Personna brands(Israeli made) which I.M.O. are "WAY" better than Dorco...
    I use the Viking's Sword blades myself...:) Hope this helps you...

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Don't waste your money on Dorcos. You could probably get your money's worth and fly to Korea, drink some soju, eat some kimchi, gander at the squalor of the North and pick up some Dorcos. You would probably have a much better time doing that than paying exorbitant prices for those blades.

7. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I've shipped internationally quite a bit and USPS has really gotten quite expensive over the last couple of years. However that shipping quote for $50 for a pack of blades sounds too high unless it was a premium service. You may want to check out the USPS website for the actual price quote as well other services like Fedex or DHL.

Peter Cupitt likes this.
  8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I hate to talk trash but the problem is the postal service here in the US is run by the US Government and that's the problem. And to think they want to handle my health care. Give me a break.......
    Any how, WELCOME to the Den!

9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Bureaucracy at its worst.

10. Peter Cupitt

Hi Guys and "Guyettes" :)
    In order of reverse responses
    BigT :
    That is really funny, as I usually tell people here in Australia about how the Australian Government can't run a health care system, can't get an education system right, can't handle public transport any better than a pre-school kid, can't get a working immigration system together and yet, WE PUT THEM IN CHARGE OF PEOPLE WITH WEAPONS (Police & Armed Services) !!!!!!! I keep wondering who the biggest idiot is, Maybe ME for bloody well voting !!!!!
    TitanTTB:
    I believe it is for what the USPS calls priority shipping, but as you mention, I'm SURE there has to be other more attractive options.
    Ryan B:
    I really just want the holder if the truth be known, as I already have plenty of Dorcos. I bough 100 x Dorco 300 ages ago when I first started out with the shaving "Sickness" and they seemed to work well, but I was not used to shaving full stop. ANYTHING that cut whiskers would have been good. They still work ok but I can now see the benefits from better blades. I also just wanted some to put in the collection.
    178-bplatoon:
    Hello again my friend, I got the price from the DORCO site (http://www.dorcousa.com/std301-double-edge-blades/), I also see eBay sellers charging much less but then I find some with similar prices????? as I explained to Ryan B, I just wanted some to put in the collection and I really just want the holder if the truth be known, as I already have plenty of Dorcos in cardboard boxes.
    I have dealt with Liorfe and purchased 100 x Vikings Sword blades after our discussion online ages ago. These are now my regular blade.
    HolyRolah:
    You are spot on about being hazardous in the USPS lists, BUT, I see other US sources that post blades, seemingly without issue? Why would they "Restrict" something and then not restrict it?
    Richgem:
    As above to HolyRolah, Why restrict something and then not restrict it, cause others sell and post these items seemingly without issue.

fram773:
    SO, I'm NOT crazy. It can be done cheaper, obviously ;)

I may take you up on that offer to PM, at least for the moment, as I am now looking at one of the online US Postal Forwarding services. Their issue is that the postage will still be pretty expensive........... but if I plan ahead and go on a spending spree, they will combine and repackage all my stuff from different transactions to" maximize" space/weight to "minimize" postage costs.

Cheers everyone !! and

"seeyalatermatealright" (correct Australian pronunciation/spelling) :happy088:

11. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Peter I just checked it out and standard USPS first rate international for a pack of blades like that should be about $6. Even a priority small flat rate box (up to four pounds) is only $23.95 which is still half of what you were quoted. That's in USD so I'm not sure how it converts to AUS money.

12. Peter Cupitt

Thanks TitanTTB. AUs Dollars are pretty darn close to US I think currently One US Dollar is $1.10 AUs so our money is about %90 US. It fluctuates between %90 and %95, so the difference isn't worth an argument.
    I have noticed a LOT of online places that quote that ridiculously high price, I hope that is not to discourage International people, cause some of us are OK :(

13. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I can ship a whole shaving set with a brush, razor, & case in a box to AU First Class USPS for about $13-15. Not a clue why they would be charging that much.

14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Is it mandatory to inform them what's in the box?

I've shipped many things in my life, but the last thing the postal service need to mess their head with, is what's in the box. If you ask me (you didn't but here ya go :-D ). Yes I can be rebellish, but had I not been I wouldn't have a bottle of US Aqua Velva here, with good help from a US contact (and he, a bottle of EU Williams). We need to help ourselves and if something is not allowed, I don't see a problem doing it anyways as long as it's handled in a proper way (packaged well, etc.). Bad penguin.. baaaad penguin!

15. richgem

If it's going international, there has to be an accurate and complete declaration of contents including retail value. And I imagine the package will be x-rayed at a minimum. If customs or the Post Office is suspicious, they can act accordingly, as far as I know.

If the package is going domestic, they seem to take you at your word that there is nothing hazardous or restricted inside. But, again, if they suspect otherwise, they can check and/or refuse to accept the package.

16. richgem

Bad DE Razor... baaaad DE Razor. :p

tuxxdk likes this.
  17. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

If the postal service weren't regulated by the US government, it would be called FedEx or UPS or DHL, none of which keep local post offices open or have to deliver to unprofitable routes. It's not that the postal service is badly managed, they are just forced to provide services that are unprofitable but many people consider a right (like mail delivery to rural addresses and Saturday delivery)

I agree with TitanTTB though, the shipping price seems out of whack.

From what I can tell, these PACE blades are Dorco ST-301 blades and you can buy 100 with free shipping to US and $9.45 shipping to Australia.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DORCO-STAIN...t=US_Shaving_Hair_Removal&hash=item51b569a2ca

US $9.45
    Australia
    USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service
    Estimated between Wed. Dec. 11 and Fri. Dec. 20
    Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment.

P.S. - I don't know of any developed country whose postal service isn't regulated by the government.

18. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Sorry but I totally disagree. But this is a Shave forum and I'll save my arguments for another forum.

19. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

There were no accurate or complete declaration on the last to private packages I got from US. One of them with a bottle of Aqua Velva. Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that in these cases it didn't seem to have been a problem.

I know rules can be rules and I can choose not to ship anything. But as long as I'm not harming anybody I'll stay strong on that they don't meddle with my content :) If it goes, it goes. It sure as heaven aint gonna hold me back trying :)

20. richgem

With the Post Office, enforcement can be spotty depending on who servers you and what kind of day they are having.