"Use-it-until-its-empty" soap challenge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

As some of you know I have recently decided to adopt the "use-it-until-its-empty" approach to use up my stock of soaps and creams. The rotation method of using soaps and creams was fine when I started DE shaving and I actively fed my soap and cream acquisition disorder and watched it shoot into the stratosphere. I wanted to try them all and a new soap every day was the ticket to heaven. I now have a sock drawer full of soaps and creams and no room for my socks! If I don't purchase another soap or cream it will still take me more than 3 three years to use up my current stock. And I was worried some of my creams would start to go bad. Something had to change...

My approach is evolving and now my plan is to use one soap or cream until it is empty. I recently emptied a tub of TOBS Natural (after I shooed away a nasty gremlin that kept refilling my tub with cream at night while I was sleeping). The satisfaction of emptying a tub of cream surprised even me. I was amazed at how you really get to know a product when you use it every day. And now I have started a tub of Cella (that wonderful gift from Italy to the world) as my second challenge and I am pumped!

Anyone care to join me in this elite gentlemen's club as we journey to the land of "use-it-until-its-empty"? (Secret decoder ring not included).

Demidog, Seabs, macaronus and 8 others like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Good luck!! I'm currently on the same path.. I'm currently trying to go through my proraso green and my trader joes soap.. Lol your gremlin may have snuck into my home.. Cuz just when I think I'm making headway... BAM! I'm right back where I started !

macaronus, White731 and Rusty blade like this.
  3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I can barely finish a soap sample...lol

Good luck gents...I must have some variety.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Titaniced my way through MWF and Proraso green. It was my intention to do the same thing with Haslinger coconut, but that had a different ending.

JR Reyes, Troy M, White731 and 2 others like this.
  5. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I'm in, I'll start with my 1/3 full tub of Proraso Green.

Rusty blade likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No ring, no deal. You guys enjoy!

Ceferguson and Rusty blade like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Now you tell me! I've been doing that all along. I use one soap till it's finished before opening up the next one. There is a certain satisfaction in knowing that you used it all and none of it went to waste. Besides, I can't imagine placing a half used puck under the bathroom sink (unless it's Williams).

I guess I'm still weak when it comes to buying soap. I must admit that I must have close to 20 pucks/tubs of various soaps in my inventory right now. At the rate it takes me to use up one, I should be good on soap for 5 to 6 years without buying any new ones.

Well, I'm in!

8. Rusty blade

I hit my peak at 37 soaps and creams and now I am down to 36. It's a slow journey, but I believe I am on the right train now. My plan is to use my creams and croaps first because I feel they are most likely to go bad...then I will tackle the soaps and then finally the triple milled soaps. I look forward to having some company on the journey...

macaronus, Ceferguson, Hodge and 2 others like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    On February 29, I finally finished off my Proraso Green that I bought in March of 2012. That was almost 4 years. I had to make an effort to finish it, and I did. The only other soaps I have finished are Van der Hagen Delux, Van der Hagen Luxury, Williams, and a tube of Musgo Real. You just need to pick one and use it up. Or, you can pif some. That works, too.

macaronus and Jim99 like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

No thanks. I'd jump on that wagon, knowing that I'd fall off within a week:). Just like a bunch of the nb 16 guys ;)

Halvor, Spud and Jim99 like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I swear, I was pushed...

macaronus, Halvor, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Me, too.

ob1page and Primotenore like this.
  13. Rusty blade

One small slip-up and they never let you forget it! ;)

14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm still grappling with the concept that it is possible to use up a soap completely.

I started with all this back in September and my first soap was the VdH Deluxe. In February, I finally reached doughnut status on the puck. At the beginning of this month (April), I finally got so frustrated at still having a doughnut (albeit a thinner one) that I took it out of the bowl and set it on top of the puck of Williams in my mug. Near as I can tell, it's still hanging in.

macaronus, PLAla and Troy M like this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

This is a most worthy endeavor! I had this approach for much of 2015 and realize that I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll jump back in and give it a try again. I've been using my Route 66 Lumberjack for about a week now and will try to keep going with it. In just a short week I have discovered that a 10-15 second loading gives me plenty of soap to make a great face lather with minimal waste after 3 passes.

16. Rusty blade

Maybe you are being too gentle when you load your brush...and put away that ultra soft badger. Pick up that stiff boar and put a bit of elbow into it...that usually does the trick!

Jim99 likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have about that many soaps all in rotation. I just (last week) used the last of a TSD soap of the quarter that came out in April 2014; it was a 2 oz puck. Just sayin'.

macaronus, PLAla and Jim99 like this.
  18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

LOL! Actually, I was using a Boar. Specifically, the one from the VdH set.

Jim99 likes this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have six soaps in rotation and use them until gone. Only then do I replace.

Jim99 likes this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

One puck will easily last me 3 to 4 months of daily shaves. It amazes me because, compared to the cans of Foamy I bought years back, one puck lasts me 3 times longer than a can of shaving cream.

dangermouse and Troy M like this.